March 1, 2020 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

March 1, 2020

In your opinion was it absolutely necessary from a cost and scheduling standpoint that they had to go with this design instead of the one that was originally leaked (that blew everyone away)?
I’m not crazy about the solution aesthetic and think it could have been better, but cost and real estate were issues and this way helps overcome that. I still think it could be “prettier” and wish they used an architect to design it (they didn’t).

I’m not crazy about the solution aesthetic and think it could have been better, but cost and real estate were issues and this way helps overcome that. I still think it could be “prettier” and wish they used an architect to design it (they didn’t).
Isn’t an architect required? I’m not following... but they did say they’d make it prettier I think. If it lights up at night that’ll make a statement.

From what I know about the design of the new roof, this will not entirely be the case. If that is part of the logistics plan, it will require deflation, and then they will be draining the roof into the building so it doesn’t become a swimming pool. The new roof is more rigid, but still technically fabric and it will be in the same spot as the old. The main important difference is that rather than air inflated, it will be hung.

I know nothing about the new roof design, but the word hung scares the heck out of me when talking about six Acres subject to some of the worst weather conditions you can come by.

I know nothing about the new roof design, but the word hung scares the heck out of me when talking about six Acres subject to some of the worst weather conditions you can come by.

I'm pretty sure there is a support structure on the ground as well that will help the new roof.

I'm pretty sure there is a support structure on the ground as well that will help the new roof.

I know that a structure under tension(fabric) is stronger than one that is not under tension and the word hung does not conjure up a strong roof in my mind, I need to know more, but that word does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. It may just be semantics.
I imagine there will be a cable system supporting the roof from above, but even so a hanging fabric roof in Syracuse weather could be subject to problems. I just do not know enough about the design.

Last edited:
Good. This gives the university's contractors two extra months to do the job without impacting the football season. A little more wiggle room to address unanticipated problems is a good thing.
Agreed, I always advocated for this. Lacrosse could always move. They can still play games in the Dome in February. Play the southern teams in March. Finish out the season at CNS.

Isn’t an architect required? I’m not following... but they did say they’d make it prettier I think. If it lights up at night that’ll make a statement.
I am not sure they don’t have an architect as a signatory, or as a maintenance project (roof replacement) they don’t need one, but my statement was in reference to a design lead. Geiger is the lead here. They are a structural firm.

Well let’s hope your fears are unfounded because the roof is hung. The stanchions we are all talking about are to attach the wires to when hanging the roof.

Well let’s hope your fears are unfounded because the roof is hung. The stanchions we are all talking about are to attach the wires to when hanging the roof.

Found out a litlle bit more and they are not just hung, they are under tension which should take care of the problems I was concerned about by you saying the roof was hung. They are indeed supported by cables from above, however the fabric panels are under tension from other cables and the stanchions. As I said in my previous post a matter of semantics and incomplete info. The word hung simply did not supply adequate meaning to determine the system involved, it is a little more than hanging out the laundry.
Similar type roofs are in existence but most that I found were not in areas that experience Syracuse weather conditions, the ones I found in similar conditions were not supporting the span that the dome roof covers. The largest similar type roof I found is over the new Atlanta dome with a seating capacity of approximately 70,000, but it will probably never experience Syracuse type weather conditions.

Are they still planning to cover the exterior with panels to improve some of the aesthetics?

1554637673147.png

Just a refresher for those who may have forgotten what the rendering that was presented looked like

Thankfully the entities involved in the design and planning DO know something about roof design so I think we can be comfortable with that. Now let's go back to worrying that the scoreboard will be too big and that punts will be bouncing off it all game long.

Suspension bridges are hanging structures.

Actually a lot like the proposed roof structure. I’m not questioning it structurally, I just wish there was someone on the design team, like an architect, who was equally interested in how it looked. I’ve worked with some of the firms on this team. They’re good firms, aesthetics are just not their highest priority.

Actually a lot like the proposed roof structure. I’m not questioning it structurally, I just wish there was someone on the design team, like an architect, who was equally interested in how it looked. I’ve worked with some of the firms on this team. They’re good firms, aesthetics are just not their highest priority.
How much can they realistically improve aesthetics wise?

There was talk about wrapping the superstructure "crown." Not sure with a limited budget how high up the wish list that type of enhancement would rise.

Look up Galloping Gertie(Tacoma Narows) if you think suspension bridges can not fail or engineers always get things righht.

I know that a structure under tension(fabric) is stronger than one that is not under tension and the word hung does not conjure up a strong roof in my mind, I need to know more, but that word does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. It may just be semantics.
I imagine there will be a cable system supporting the roof from above, but even so a hanging fabric roof in Syracuse weather could be subject to problems. I just do not know enough about the design.

Look up Galloping Gertie(Tacoma Narows) if you think suspension bridges can not fail or engineers always get things righht.
That was wind harmonics if I recall. The good news is that we won’t have wind under the roof. Fantastic video though.

Thankfully the entities involved in the design and planning DO know something about roof design so I think we can be comfortable with that. Now let's go back to worrying that the scoreboard will be too big and that punts will be bouncing off it all game long.

I am comfortable with it now that I know more about the current design. Hung does not adequately describe the suspension/tension system used in that design. I guess you think I should not have questioned it, but since I hope to spend some time under that roof, I think I will.

There was talk about wrapping the superstructure "crown." Not sure with a limited budget how high up the wish list that type of enhancement would rise.

I think/hope they wrap the structure if they aren’t going to put some aesthetic effort into the structure itself. Anything I’ve seen (admittedly limited) has not shown much aesthetic intent. To wrap it will require some genuine lateral force design. You can’t just wrap it and assume it won’t act like a sail. It will need to be a louver-like design that essentially lets wind through.

That was wind harmonics if I recall. The good news is that we won’t have wind under the roof. Fantastic video though.

Yes it was caused by wind, a weather condition that should have been forseen but was not or at least not adequately. My main concern with any roof structure is always the weather it might see, not the actual structural design. Roofs that fail are almost entirely related to weather events, the reason I am often shoveling snow off my homes roof in CNY.
I am not particularly concerned about the new dome roof, I assume they have taken possible weather events into their design and redudancies.

Even if just a structure, look at Santiago Calatrava. Way too expensive, but nice structural aesthetic. Look at Seattle for a simpler version, or Millenium Dome in London. Not my favorite, but an example of a design intent at least.

The GC on this job is going to have one HELLUVA time pushing these guys to get the roof done in 5.5 months to be ready for football. The epitome of being bad cop. Such a tight timeline.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom