Marek is the key to the offense against Duke | Syracusefan.com

Marek is the key to the offense against Duke

Alsacs

Living Legend
We got to get the ball to where the ACC logo would be.© LaPhonso Ellis.
Right in the middle Marek should have a manager hold a broom simulating Duke’s length and practice shooting that elbow jumper 300 times a day.
Be comfortable with that shot and Marek has to be able to find Howard and Oshae spoting up for the 3.
Let Battle be Battle.

Tell Sidibe and Chukwu no fouls on the offensive end.

Right in the middle Marek should have a manager hold a broom simulating Duke’s length and practice shooting that elbow jumper 300 times a day.
Be comfortable with that shot and Marek has to be able to find Howard and Oshae spoting up for the 3.
Let Battle be Battle.

Was talking about the same thing with someone at work today.

Let Battle be Battle.

He’ll be our Luke Maye.

Disagree. We have a weapon that we have been keepin under wraps the whole year. And we are breaking him out for the Duke fake zone. He is gonna be the SU anti-pain. His name is ...BAYER!

I am concerned that Frank fouling out revealed our TRUE secret weapon. We were definitely intending to keep the Bayer under wraps until the Sweet 16. :(

Marek is playing way better than when we saw Duke last; our defense is better; we won't be at Cameron; Duke is pretty much the same. Is that enough to make up 16 points? Who knows.

But Marek was so good against zones early in the year - now that he's confident no reason why he can't do it on Friday.

We had no luck attacking the zone from the top. Howard or battle would just get double-teamed as soon as they got past the three point line. I think the key is to attack the zone from the side, (not the corner: the side). Have battle draw the defenders toward him, pass to Howard at the side, have him pass it to Marek in the middle. Dolezaj can shoot from there, (enough times to get the defense to come to him) or pass it to the baseline or back out for threes. If the pass to Dolezaj is denied, then go to Brissett in the corner.

That's what teams do to us. Do it to Duke.

House money let’s go. Nothing at all to lose. Leave it all out there. Marek is absolutely the key here. If He makes shots they can’t play off him

MD is our best interior passer. Hopefully he has become enough of a threat to shoot to draw defenders and either hit one of the bigs or kick it out.

Marek needs someone to pass it to down low and I'm afraid that aint Chukwu. Hopefully Sid can get some miracle Miyagi knee rub action and play some good minutes against Duke.

Chuk n' Dol should be working on alley-oops from the ACC logo. For Dolezaj it's almost like a shot, and he can make the choice (shoot or oop) on the fly... and Chuk won't need to worry about catching the ball, dribbling, and going back up with it... all WAY too much for him to think about. Just catch/redirect ball into the basket.

Chuk n' Dol should be working on alley-oops from the ACC logo. For Dolezaj it's almost like a shot, and he can make the choice (shoot or oop) on the fly... and Chuk won't need to worry about catching the ball, dribbling, and going back up with it... all WAY too much for him to think about. Just catch/redirect ball into the basket.

The alley-oop that Marek passed to Chukwu was literally Paschal's best looking play this season. I love this idea and really hope we can make this happen.

Easier said than done when Bagley and Carter are two guys down there. Both NBA players.

Marek needs someone to pass it to down low and I'm afraid that aint Chukwu. Hopefully Sid can get some miracle Miyagi knee rub action and play some good minutes against Duke.
If Marek gets the ball in the middle it will force whomever is in the middle Carter or Bagley to step up. I don’t want Chukwu getting that pass I want Marek either shooting that jumper or passing out to the wing to shoot a 3 or pass back to Marek to drive and then maybe dish.

Chukwu and Sidibe need to practice standing on the baseline and catching those passes.

If Marek gets the ball in the middle it will force whomever is in the middle Carter or Bagley to step up. I don’t want Chukwu getting that pass I want Marek either shooting that jumper or passing out to the wing to shoot a 3 or pass back to Marek to drive and then maybe dish.

Chukwu and Sidibe need to practice standing on the baseline and catching those passes.

Hmmmm... standing AND catching. That's a LOT to think about!

Let Battle be Battle.

He also needs to notice when to take a quick dribble into the paint to get the bigs to step out to him so he can pass down low to Pascal or Oshae. There are options from that spot. The teams like Pitt that used to dominate SU did so because they understood that the short corner was the weak spot if you got to the middle and took an aggressive dribble straight into the paint.

If that's the case I bet you see Duke dare Marek to shoot at least the first 2 or 3 times. If he makes it, then Carter will step up and try to stop it - but Duke will make him make it first

I get the point made in the OP, but our team wins weird. I don't think anything has to happen or any one player needs to do any specific thing. I throw it all the window this year. Either we win, or we don't.

This is a better point than it first seems.

This is a better point than it first seems.
We won a game against one of the best teams in college hoops getting killed on the boards, having no assists and shooting in the teens from three.

I mean, I'm just not going to say that certain things have to happen in order for us to win, because we're not sticking to a script. We just aren't.

marek can be lethal in the middle with his little teardrop, hes incredible with that shot
Amazing the development this year. He's a more complete player .. with a jump shot, a floater, better defense, improving TO numbers, excellent defense and pretty decent rebounding for a stick. Averaged about 5/5 over the year, up to (avg.) 8 ppg in the NCAA's (including the 17 point outburst against TCU). He's becoming a very efficient scorer... need to get his usage rate up!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom