Marek is the key to the offense against Duke | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Marek is the key to the offense against Duke

He needs to look for his shot when he has one. He arguably played his worst game of the season at Cameron Indoor. He was a deer in headlights.

Nope.
  1. Battle - had a horrible game last time out. If he can't score it, we can't win.
  2. Brissett - had a horrible game last time out. If he can't shoot it, we are way too easy to defend.
  3. Marek/Howard push - Marek will need to play well to keep the guards at the top of the zone honest and maybe draw some fouls on carter and bagley. Howard couldnt shoot it last time. Needs to be at least 40% from 3.
  4. Chukwu/Sidibe - Make some bunnies, convert some FTs.

Nope.
  1. Battle - had a horrible game last time out. If he can't score it, we can't win.
  2. Brissett - had a horrible game last time out. If he can't shoot it, we are way too easy to defend.
  3. Marek/Howard push - Marek will need to play well to keep the guards at the top of the zone honest and maybe draw some fouls on carter and bagley. Howard couldnt shoot it last time. Needs to be at least 40% from 3.
  4. Chukwu/Sidibe - Make some bunnies, convert some FTs.
You realize Duke plays zone right?

Zones don’t allow penetration. Therefore we can’t do what Howard and Brissett do well.
We need the ball in the middle to force the zone to collapse or take an open jumper.
Last game we couldn’t do anything in the middle thus we couldn’t score.

The adjustment now is Marek has improved. He can take that open shot or pass to open shooters if the wings or middle have to step up to respect his playmaking or open foul jump shot.

The alley-oop that Marek passed to Chukwu was literally Paschal's best looking play this season. I love this idea and really hope we can make this happen.

Do people realize this was our 6-9 PF & our 7-2 C running a fast break like it's no big deal? How freaking cool is that?!?

If we do not commit to running more next year then Coach B be cray cray.

We won a game against one of the best teams in college hoops getting killed on the boards, having no assists and shooting in the teens from three.

I mean, I'm just not going to say that certain things have to happen in order for us to win, because we're not sticking to a script. We just aren't.

We might have to have actual reasons for winning to get this one.

Zones don’t allow penetration. Therefore we can’t do what Howard and Brissett do well.
We need the ball in the middle to force the zone to collapse or take an open jumper.

The adjustment now is Marek has improved. He can take that open shot or pass to open shooters if the wings or middle have to step up to respect his playmaking or open foul jump shot.

You realize you overthink things? I get it, Marek needs to be productive and available at the foul line. It won't matter if Battle and Brissett don't make shots. To refer to the fourth best offensive player, who handles the ball maybe 5% of the time, the offensive key, is an exaggeration. He just needs to keep the defense honest.

You realize you overthink things? I get it, Marek needs to be productive and available at the foul line. It won't matter if Battle and Brissett don't make shots. To refer to the fourth best offensive player, who handles the ball maybe 5% of the time, the offensive key, is an exaggeration. He just needs to keep the defense honest.
Yeah Marek has been our 4th option this tournament your right.
His play against TCU was that of a 4th option your right.

The guy is the X factor for Syracuse offensively as he isn’t the guy the defense is going to game plan for.

You want to disagree fine but Marek is the key against the zone. He is going to play the spot where it’s most vulnerable.

Howard and Brissett are going to have few driving chances in this game.
You can’t ISO against a zone.
Therefore to attack you must make it collapse where it’s vulnerable which is in the middle.

We sucked at Duke because their zone ate up our big 3 and Marek was awful in the middle.
The zone will eat up our big 3 unless Marek makes them pay in the middle.

Last edited:
Yep. If we start chucking 3's it's curtains because we can't hit a good enough percentage.

Now that Marek is starting (and more comfortable than our first game against them), I think he deserves another shot in the middle against Duh-k’s zone. He has a high BBIQ. He's comfortable shooting a floater or mid-range shot (perfect for the FL). He’s got length. He can pass it. The FL gives him drive opportunities and passing options, with Tyus and Frank sitting on the wings or cutting to the basket.

It’s obviously a tall order. Duh-k is better in transition and in the half court. They defend about as well as we do. They have better outside shooters and much better inside scorers and rebounders. We have to shoot it very well and crash the glass, and hope they don’t shoot it well and the score is low.

Last edited:
Yeah Marek has been our 4th option this tournament your right.
His play against TCU was that of a 4th option your right.

The guy is the X factor for Syracuse offensively as he isn’t the guy the defense is going to game plan for.

You want to disagree fine but Marek is the key against the zone. He is going to play the spot where it’s most vulnerable.

Howard and Brissett are going to have few driving chances in this game.
You can’t ISO against a zone.
Therefore to attack you must make it collapse where it’s vulnerable which is in the middle.

We sucked at Duke because their zone ate up our big 3 and Marek was awful in the middle.
The zone will eat up our big 3 unless Marek makes them pay in the middle.

I’m in agreement here. We are a bad passing team. Marek is a good passer.

We ball stop and can’t do that against a zone. Marek makes quick decisions. Now we still have to move on offense...we’ll see, sigh.

3512666dolemite-1.gif

drag them into the mud, get to the line, keep it close, tyus makes a play at the end

sadly, i'm leaving on our annual spring break trip in 2 hours and won't be able to see any of the weekend games.

good luck orange & hope to see you next weekend!

Now that Marek is starting (and more comfortable than our first game against them), I like him best in the middle against Duh-k’s zone. He has a high BBIQ. He’s got length. He can pass it. And he has options, with Tyus and Frank sitting on the wings or cutting to the basket.

It’s obviously a tall order. Duh-k is better in transition and in the half court. They defend about as well as we do. They have better outside shooters and much better inside scorers and rebounders. We have to shoot it very well and crash the glass, and hope they don’t shoot it well and the score is low.

He's been driving better as well. Would be nice to see him knock down a couple shots from the line, forcing Duke's bigs to react up. Ball fake, drive by, maybe pick up a foul and 1.

Have to think this week has been Marek and Oshae catching balls at the foul line, turning and getting shots up. Would be great to see them alternating at the foul line. Maybe have the one not at the foul line in the corner, then streaking to the basket for an alley-oop. Can JB get Roy on the phone to help him game plan that one?

Bottom line - no delusions - they are better than us. However, that is not to say that we cannot win.

I think what it will take is well above average games from 3 of our big 4 including Marek.

In addition to that, we will also need something akin to a reasonable game from our centers. Not necessarily in points, but in playing good D, combining for at least ten boards, and not getting into foul trouble so that they can play aggressive D throughout.

He's been driving better as well. Would be nice to see him knock down a couple shots from the line, forcing Duke's bigs to react up. Ball fake, drive by, maybe pick up a foul and 1.

Have to think this week has been Marek and Oshae catching balls at the foul line, turning and getting shots up. Would be great to see them alternating at the foul line. Maybe have the one not at the foul line in the corner, then streaking to the basket for an alley-oop. Can JB get Roy on the phone to help him game plan that one?
Agree. The benefit of having Marek driving off the FL is that he goes down (and draws a foul) with just about any contact. ;)

[Add: Frank and Tyus were in Duh-k's defensive cross-hairs last time. They shot it poorly and barely managed to get in double figures. This time, Duh-k will have more to worry about. In addition to Marek, I think Oshae will be a different player. His stat line at CI was bottom barrel: 6 TO's on 6 points and 2 rebounds ...(wow). Obviously, he's a different cat now, as is Marek. So I'm anxious to see what they can do against one of the most talented teams in the country on a neutral court.]

Last edited:
vs duke we have about 5 Tos that lead to straight run outs on bad passes at the top.. just stop those and its a game.

We got to get the ball to where the ACC logo would be.© LaPhonso Ellis.
Right in the middle Marek should have a manager hold a broom simulating Duke’s length and practice shooting that elbow jumper 300 times a day.
Be comfortable with that shot and Marek has to be able to find Howard and Oshae spoting up for the 3.
Let Battle be Battle.

Tell Sidibe and Chukwu no fouls on the offensive end.

Tell JB to stop having the centers do pick and rolls to nowhere

Jimmy & Coach K are good friends. I am sure Jimmy would not want to strain Coach K's brain by giving him to much to think about.

Two different looks at the key plus guys streaking for alley oops !!!

All this instead of a high pick & roll by Chuk !!!

Pinch me, I must be dreaming.

MD is our best interior passer. Hopefully he has become enough of a threat to shoot to draw defenders and either hit one of the bigs or kick it out.
We have struggled on offense when people are not moving and when at least one pass does not go through Marek. I think he is a legitimate threat now with his confidence shooting, and Duke cannot cheat and leave him open. He may not take 10+ shots this game, but he may end up with 5+ assists if Oshae and Chukwu can finish their bunnies

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom