Marek... | Syracusefan.com

Marek...

He commits more dumb fouls than anyone we have had recently. He needs to understand how important he is and let some plays go. Love his effort but he needs to smarten up on D.

Yes - absolutely needs to make the fouls count more than he does. I guess he's just trying hard but need to know when to hold them, when to fold them and when to walk way.

He commits more dumb fouls than anyone we have had recently. He needs to understand how important he is and let some plays go. Love his effort but he needs to smarten up on D.
Problem is, he can't establish (or keep) inside position. He's fine if no one's between him and the ball handler, but if someone's bodying him out, forget it. I'm not going to sweat his deficiencies at the 5, because he's a forward. The point is ... we could use some beef in the middle against teams with centers like Mooney.

Last edited:
Problem is, he's out of position. He can rise up if no one's in his way. But if someone's bodying him, forget it. He's a forward anyway, I'm not going to sweat his deficiencies at the 5. But we could really use some beef in there.

Seriously, Sidibe had 15 minutes in today, many after PC and MD were gone. Crimoney, if we're going to absorb 15 minutes or more from him, can't we do it before we're in a position of desperation, and as an added benefit maybe help keep PC and MD around a little longer? But what the hell do I know?

edit: and PC and MD can actually make FT's down the stretch ...

Last edited:
Ok, great...

so how would you label his IQ in other areas?

Average. Dont see his iq putting him in any position to score when moving without the ball, defensive positioning when it comes to rebounding and his passing is nothing you don't see from centers we play against who get the ball at the free throw line.

Average. Dont see his iq putting him in any position to score when moving without the ball, defensive positioning when it comes to rebounding and his passing is nothing you don't see from centers we play against who get the ball at the free throw line.

Disagree in general here but he’s a really solid passing big. The fact we don’t see it has more to do with not passing him the ball and then not running any type of crisp cuts after he gets it. Occasionally a team zones us and he makes them pay, but our general offense — commonly referred to as the ‘stand around and dribble a lot’ offense — tends to undercut the value of a big who can pass.

Disagree in general here but he’s a really solid passing big. The fact we don’t see it has more to do with not passing him the ball and then not running any type of crisp cuts after he gets it. Occasionally a team zones us and he makes them pay, but our general offense — commonly referred to as the ‘stand around and dribble a lot’ offense — tends to undercut the value of a big who can pass.

I've taken to calling that the "Lifeguard Offense." We stand and watch everything, not moving unless there's an emergency. :D I saw it for most of the second half of the UB game and it made me want to scream.

If his passing is as special as it’s made to be around here I think a hall of fame coach would do something with that talent instead of running the garbage offense we use now.

Flashes or a good play here and there doesn’t define talent or high iq, consistency does and that may be the word that I would not use to define Marek.

We are a better team with him at the 5. The other two centers just aren’t very good.

If his passing is as special as it’s made to be around here I think a hall of fame coach would do something with that talent instead of running the garbage offense we use now.

Flashes or a good play here and there doesn’t define talent or high iq, consistency does and that may be the word that I would not use to define Marek.

I thought we looked much different offensively in the first half today. I liked the actions they were running especially the PNR action from the elbow

We are a better team with him at the 5. The other two centers just aren’t very good.

I wonder if that's not because JB has put the fear of God into "the other two" if they were to shoot anything other than bunnies and putbacks.

I wonder if that's not because JB has put the fear of God into "the other two" if they were to shoot anything other than bunnies and putbacks.

That’s possible but PC can’t be relied on to make bunnies. His one miss today was egregious for a man of his size.

No crap to you, t3z, but Boeheim is a HOF coach because of what he's done in the past, and certainly not because of what he's doing now. His recent teams have been among the most offensively challenged I can remember. And I'm being kind. Further, I'll also admit I only see about 8-9 games/year.

Put those suction cups on his sneakers. Run him down court get under basket lift arms deploy the suction cups.

Our centers are bad but not THIS bad. Their continued regression is on the staff and JB psyching them out.

No crap to you, t3z, but Boeheim is a HOF coach because of what he's done in the past, and certainly not because of what he's doing now. His recent teams have been among the most offensively challenged I can remember. And I'm being kind. Further, I'll also admit I only see about 8-9 games/year.

I’ll remember this the next time you comment on a charge call you didn’t see.;)

Besides Carey, Marek has highest I q on court. Period. Marek has very active hands from players blind spots and that’s how he creates so many turnovers. He’s gonna pick up fouls doing this but needs to be smarter and eliminate that over the back stuff.

I’ll remember this the next time you comment on a charge call you didn’t see.;)

Well, if you look back, old friend, I've always stated up front when I didn't see a certain play. Most of the time I'm just discussing the actual rule itself. :)

marek is scrappy underneath but that leads to fouls. liked the block where he came under the basket to pin it. on the other hand those alley oops ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom