Marinetto Is Planning a 3 Way | Syracusefan.com

Marinetto Is Planning a 3 Way

Wow is right - what a mess. The commish can't get anything done so he jumps on the coat tails of that merger?

Sounds like a crazy mans pipe dream... 4 divisions 32 team conference? are you nuts? :bat:

Here is the highlight of that link

West Virginia's loss to Syracuse on Friday night basically eliminated the Big East from the Top 25 in next week's BCS standings, a potentially crippling blow to the Big East's chances of maintaining its AQ status (which is based on the results over a revolving three year period).

Have fun with your clusterfluck...because I think this might happen.

Nice!
reminds me of the beginning of an article that was written in humor where all this realignment talk ended up in one large conference across the entire country...someone tell the BE it was a JOKE!!

Like the rest of the BCS will allow their ranks to grow by 27 overnight. Hah!

I think the BCS will be fine to grow an extra bowl...the winner of the midmajor clusterfluck can play a 3 loss SEC team in the Gator Bowl.

I don't think they will care. It's still just one BCS spot. The trick is to get more BCS spots per school. If they can have two BCS spots for their 14 teams, the SEC would be glad to let the Big Leftover conference split 1 spot 32 ways.

Really, since it's football-only, the Big Leftover conference makes a lot of sense. It allows football to be scheduled and administered separately from basketball and the rest. The only problem I see with it is that you will need a two game playoff to get a champion.

Here's why the BCS people just might allow this.

Right now the BE is locked in as AQ conference #6. In the nightmare scenario, both the MWC and the WAC Champions get at-large bids, leaving only 2 at-large slots for the big boys.

If you combine 32 teams into one quasi-conference, they will only get 1 BCS slot. Since the 4 division winners will have to play in a mini-playoff, 3 of them can't end up undefeated, and will take themselves out of contention ... leaving 4 at-large slots every year for the power conferences & ND.

...well it is out of the box thinking...so strange that suddenly the BE is coming up with ideas...whether poor or not...they are trying which is something they did not do previously...I am so pleased we are going to ACC...wanted that even before our turn down previously...now is the time for 'Cuse to shine...I do feel badly for WVU, Uconn, and Rutgirls...regardless how competitive I am against them...I hope they survive as well in a good conference

...well it is out of the box thinking...so strange that suddenly the BE is coming up with ideas...whether poor or not...they are trying which is something they did not do previously...I am so pleased we are going to ACC...wanted that even before our turn down previously...now is the time for 'Cuse to shine...I do feel badly for WVU, Uconn, and Rutgirls...regardless how competitive I am against them...I hope they survive as well in a good conference
I definitely feel sorry for WVU because of our history with them. UConn somewhat because of the basketball rivalry that we have with them. Honestly, I don't feel anything either way towards Rutgers.

If you think the SEC, Pac 12, Big 10, ACC and Big 12 will allow them to band together AND get a BCS spot your nuts. They will just tell those schools since you got a 32 team thing going, hold your own playoff /championship in whichever bowls you get and system you want to use and we will band together and hold ours and do it our way. If your conferences can band together then why can't the 5 major conferences band together and do our own thing.

Whoever came up with this idea must be the dumbest person alive. They just guaranteed that the BE, MWC, C-USA will be left out of the BCS after 2014. They just paved the way for the 4 or 5 super conferences and the conferences didn't have to add anymore teams to do it.

Actually Marinetto is joining in...this is his nuclear worse case scenario. If WVU and/or Louisville is plucked away they have to do this. You can't see Boise paying over $20M to join Rutgirls, USF, Cincy and UConn?

This actually is the best possible scenario for us. I see BYU, UL and WVU joining the B12. Notre Dame is somewhat happy to still play in a water down Big East for a few years. UConn and Rutgers remain in limbo for a few years as this shakes out preying for Big Boy Prom Invites. I see UConn eventually joining us in the BE after ND makes a decision. Rutgirls will be breaking in a new coach in 2015 playing in the Psycho Ditched Ex Girlfriend Conference.

Definitely a desperation move on the part of the Big East to say they still have their AQ and keep the football schools tied into the basketball league.

I can see the logic. Pulling a single champion from that group would, in theory, lead to a better chance at a legit BCS rep. As long as there's one Boise-level program within the 3 conferences (I know, it's a reach), there's a little legitimacy.

The bigger question is about the money. If the BCS dishes $18 million to each AQ conference and spreads a little to the rest, where does a 30-team conference fit? Will the teams be happy with $500k each? Will the conference that produces the rep get the loot? Lots of uncertainty there. And will they go for a single tv contract? It better be a big one if it's being split between all of these teams PLUS the BEC hoops-onlies.

If you think the SEC, Pac 12, Big 10, ACC and Big 12 will allow them to band together AND get a BCS spot your nuts. They will just tell those schools since you got a 32 team thing going, hold your own playoff /championship in whichever bowls you get and system you want to use and we will band together and hold ours and do it our way. If your conferences can band together then why can't the 5 major conferences band together and do our own thing.

Whoever came up with this idea must be the dumbest person alive. They just guaranteed that the BE, MWC, C-USA will be left out of the BCS after 2014. They just paved the way for the 4 or 5 super conferences and the conferences didn't have to add anymore teams to do it.
Actually, I think they would say OK - all 32 teams and one spot. It eliminates all the lawsuit/congressional involvement threats. And instead of the BE providing a sucky representative, they get maybe a Boise St. And if BSU is an AQ, that leaves room for another SEC/Pac 12/Big 10/ACC/Big 12 at-large bid.

big friggin whoop- we are now acc-big east football can die onthe vine and take rutgirls with it-
the only one i hope lands on there feet is wv

I can see the logic. Pulling a single champion from that group would, in theory, lead to a better chance at a legit BCS rep. As long as there's one Boise-level program within the 3 conferences (I know, it's a reach), there's a little legitimacy.

The bigger question is about the money. If the BCS dishes $18 million to each AQ conference and spreads a little to the rest, where does a 30-team conference fit? Will the teams be happy with $500k each? Will the conference that produces the rep get the loot? Lots of uncertainty there. And will they go for a single tv contract? It better be a big one if it's being split between all of these teams PLUS the BEC hoops-onlies.

What choice do they have?

I see NBC/Versus making a run for this content. They can cherry pick 3-4 of the best games to play on NBC (when ND is away). The rest can go on Versus. Each team might make a few million off the TV contract way better than what they saw.

For the Big East they get to sell their BB content separately...I see ESPN still going after it..but NBC might offer more.

Actually, I think they would say OK - all 32 teams and one spot. It eliminates all the lawsuit/congressional involvement threats. And instead of the BE providing a sucky representative, they get maybe a Boise St. And if BSU is an AQ, that leaves room for another SEC/Pac 12/Big 10/ACC/Big 12 at-large bid.

Not at all. The MWC and CUSA among the WAC have said when conferences band together to keep others out its a bad things. But now they are banding together. So they can band together. The big boys will band together. Everyone do their own thing and be on their way. For these 3 conferences its the dumbest thing ever. It really is. They just killed their own future lawsuits.

And your theory that the BE sending someone crappy holds no weight. After 2014 the BE won't have a BCS spot. And Boise goes to the BCS anyway, they win their way in. They don't get to the big game because they play 1 tough game a year. In that 3-way conference it would be the same friggin issue. A 1-loss SEC or Big 10 team would STILL get in the championship game over a Boise team in that god awful 3-way conference.

[quote="arbitragegls, post: 48588I do feel badly for WVU, Uconn, and Rutgirls...regardless how competitive I am against them...I hope they survive as well in a good conference[/quote]

Hmmm,feel bad for a program that was handed a pass from 1-AA straight to the BCS?Not really.Pitty a program that for a full 75% of their time in the conference has been nothing more than a bloodsucking leech?None at all.WVU?Yes,their AD?Not so much.RU and UCONN could fall off the face of the earth and I wouldn't lose a second of sleep.

What choice do they have?

I see NBC/Versus making a run for this content. They can cherry pick 3-4 of the best games to play on NBC (when ND is away). The rest can go on Versus. Each team might make a few million off the TV contract way better than what they saw.

For the Big East they get to sell their BB content separately...I see ESPN still going after it..but NBC might offer more.

I agree with this. It's obviously only due to the Big East's failure as an independent AQ conference. But to be honest, I kind of like the idea. There are enough decent teams to create some compelling matchups, and a short, 2-weekend playoff could be exciting. Dare I suggest that a taste of FBS playoff action might turn the big wheel a bit toward a true playoff system? Oh, to dream.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom