Marinetto Is Planning a 3 Way | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Marinetto Is Planning a 3 Way

What - no way!

Heh- I know, a bit ridiculous. Still, if that merger is their direction, they would be smart to be innovative and try to generate some interest in a unique- probably niche- situation. If they go with the described 4 division format, I don't see why they wouldn't consider it.

I don't think they will care. It's still just one BCS spot. The trick is to get more BCS spots per school. If they can have two BCS spots for their 14 teams, the SEC would be glad to let the Big Leftover conference split 1 spot 32 ways.

Right on. The non-AQ conferences already have access to the BCS. That's what's keeping the lawsuits from happening. By putting together this mega-conference, they're conceding the BE AQ and ensuring that they'll pretty much only get one slot. No more years when TCU and Boise both make it. The loser of the championship game is not going to take a slot from the other 4 AQ conference CG losers. This actually opens things up for 3 reps from the SEC and B1G.

Not at all. The MWC and CUSA among the WAC have said when conferences band together to keep others out its a bad things. But now they are banding together. So they can band together. The big boys will band together. Everyone do their own thing and be on their way. For these 3 conferences its the dumbest thing ever. It really is. They just killed their own future lawsuits.

And your theory that the BE sending someone crappy holds no weight. After 2014 the BE won't have a BCS spot. And Boise goes to the BCS anyway, they win their way in. They don't get to the big game because they play 1 tough game a year. In that 3-way conference it would be the same friggin issue. A 1-loss SEC or Big 10 team would STILL get in the championship game over a Boise team in that god awful 3-way conference.
I'm not talking about the championship game. I'm talking about 10 BCS bowl slots. I know a 1-loss SEC or Big 10 team would STILL get in the championship game over Boise. I guess we'll see. I'm still behind the idea that this gives them a seat at the table so they will shut up, and congress doesn't need to get involved when the big bad BCS takes away the BE BCS slot.

Heh- I know, a bit ridiculous. Still, if that merger is their direction, they would be smart to be innovative and try to generate some interest in a unique- probably niche- situation. If they go with the described 4 division format, I don't see why they wouldn't consider it.

I'm on board. I don't really hate this idea. Would I want Syracuse to be a part of it? Absolutely not, but thank god I don't have to worry about that. It creates a good amount less controversy in terms of who belongs in the BCS bowl and the mini-playoff creates something of an exciting product out of most likely, somewhat sub-par football. A champion of 1 large super-conference is much better than grabbing out of a hat, including the top teams in 3 or 4 smaller conferences. I'd say I'd probably tune in to a playoff game long before I'd tune into a random Mountain West or Crapsack Big East Remnant game.

I agree that I was pretty stunned to read something of a proactive idea involving the Big East.

Oh, and holy crap, did you guys see how we kicked the out of West Virginia last night? ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom