Mario Manningham or David Tyree: Who had better Super Bowl catch? | Syracusefan.com

Mario Manningham or David Tyree: Who had better Super Bowl catch?

Gotta go with Tyree, also if I remember correctly, that was a 4th down game on the line grab - a bit of added pressure there.

Both were teriffic catches. Manningham had to worry about (1) keeping his feet in bounds (2) securing the ball after the catch. While Tyree did not have to worry about his feet, he was in more of a life and death struggle with the defender to keep possession. Based on his ability to hold the ball (remarkably against his helmet) I'd give the nod to Tyree's catch.

That's a close one but Tyree's was a once-in-a-lifetime. In either case Eli was the maestro for both of them.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/spo...id-tyree-who-had-better-super-bowl-catch.html

Tyree, easily. Harrison was doing everything but sticking him with a blade and he still made that catch, against his helmet, on a jump ball against a better athlete, with one hand.

Manning's precision on that Manningham throw was insane. Great route by Mario, great ability to keep his feet in bounds, but Eli dropped in a perfect pass.

I think Manningham's catch was the better catch. The Tyree catch was the better play, from Eli escaping the pressure to throw the ball, to Tyree getting to the ball to the trap against the helmet.

Tyree. 3rd and long. Less time left. Giants down by 4.

tyrees catch you see a handful of times in a lifetime... manninghams you see multiple times some games.. of course he messed up the first time by not getting his feet in on the other sideline.

This is such a ridiculous question it borders on insanity. Upperdeck hit the nail on the head, and Manningham pretty much said the same thing after the game.

I see that exact same play at least once a week. I appreciate it's the Super Bowl and maybe the magnitude of the game has led to all the hoopla about the play, but it was slightly above average tbh. They practice that play over and over again...which Manningham also said. Nobody practices what Tyree did that night.

Hell, other than being a little longer you probably see multiple TD catches each and every week that mimic that exact same play.

Tyree by sooooooooooo much it's not even funny.

I saw a quote today (I think it's from Amani Toomer) that summed up the play. "There are more receivers in the league that can make that catch than quarterbacks who can make that throw."

The Tyree catch was a crazy play from start to finish, Manningham's was a perfect throw to the perfect spot and a professional catch.