Mark it down - 2 of the top 5 players in ACC | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Mark it down - 2 of the top 5 players in ACC

I mean, I only get a chance to listen to about 15 minutes of the guy per day. But throw on Fox Sports or ESPN at any given moment, and you will find bigger blowhards than DG.

I have come to like Adam and Joe in the 3-7 spot.
Adam and Joe have grown on me as well. Joe’s snark use to annoy me but I now enjoy it.

Adam and Joe have grown on me as well. Joe’s snark use to annoy me but I now enjoy it.

I like him on the 919 Beer Podcast, too. A great weekly listen if you enjoy the NC brewing scene.

Hunter is a 4
Not exactly. In addition to being listed as a guard on the roster, he guards the other teams guards, and plays on the perimeter on offense, often going inside for his mid-range game, or posting up smaller guards since he's 6'7 himself. Watch a few minutes from the clip below, he's guarding Howard and Battle most of the time:

Not exactly. In addition to being listed as a guard on the roster, he guards the other teams guards, and plays on the perimeter on offense, often going inside for his mid-range game, or posting up smaller guards since he's 6'7 himself. Watch a few minutes from the clip below, he's guarding Howard and Battle most of the time:
They must play 4 guards then because their primary lineup last year was Jerome at 1, Guy at 2, Hall at 3, Hunter at 4 and either Salt or that other big guy at 5

They must play 4 guards then because their primary lineup last year was Jerome at 1, Guy at 2, Hall at 3, Hunter at 4 and either Salt or that other big guy at 5
They do. They basically played an 8-man rotation once ACC play started. Their big guys (Salt/Wilkins/Diakite) got 63 mpg, and the 5 perimeter guys got 132 mpg, +/- a few mpg due to injuries and non-conference cleanup time.
1527857649919.png

Hunter was coming off the bench. He won the ACC 6th Man Award. Wilkins started at the 4. There is speculation (note that was underlined) on our board that the starting 5 could be Jerome, Guy, Hunter, Diakite, and Salt.

Hunter was coming off the bench. He won the ACC 6th Man Award. Wilkins started at the 4. There is speculation (note that was underlined) on our board that the starting 5 could be Jerome, Guy, Hunter, Diakite, and Salt.
That is a pretty decent front line ... 6'9, 6'10 and 6'7 220+ (Hunter). Hunter's versatile ... as you pointed out. He can defend guards but also rebound and score against size. SU's ball movement was borderline unwatchable in that game.

Last edited:
hope Salt plays as much as possible, he's a stiff - Diakite is a player, though

That is a pretty decent front line ... 6'9, 6'10 and 6'7 220+ (Hunter). Hunter's versatile ... as you pointed out. He can defend guards but also rebound and score against size. SU's ball movement was borderline unwatchable in that game.

Hunter is also our best option against the zone. He was really good making decisions in the middle of the zone. We are very fortunate that he decided to come back for another year.

Hunter is also our best option against the zone. He was really good making decisions in the middle of the zone. We are very fortunate that he decided to come back for another year.
Hunter plays bigger than he is ... and no doubt his defensive flexibility and offensive versatility are impressive. SU played pretty well at UVA (early January), but by the second game in early February, UVA's defense was impenetrable. We managed 44 points, and after the game I resolved that an NCAA appearance was in jeopardy. It took almost another month before our defense gelled and a couple of our freshmen started producing offensively. Hopefully this year, with Tyus back, a much deeper bench and much more experienced starters, we'll be able to give you guys a better challenge. It's developing into a nice rivalry between two storied programs.

Hunter plays bigger than he is ... and no doubt his defensive flexibility and offensive versatility are impressive. SU played pretty well at UVA (early January), but by the second game in early February, UVA's defense was impenetrable. We managed 44 points, and after the game I resolved that an NCAA appearance was in jeopardy. It took almost another month before our defense gelled and a couple of our freshmen started producing offensively. Hopefully this year, with Tyus back, a much deeper bench and much more experienced starters, we'll be able to give you guys a better challenge. It's developing into a nice rivalry between two storied programs.

We're only storied for the wrong reason lol. I really like the makeup of your team this year. You guys should be really good.

We're only storied for the wrong reason lol. I really like the makeup of your team this year. You guys should be really good.
If you're referencing the NCAA's, it's bound to happen with teams as good as Bennett keeps producing.

I will be interested to see how the offense runs. We seem to have plenty capable players that can score. It will be interesting to see how TB adjusts. He and Frank do not have to carry the load as much.

I hope we move the ball around. When we did that last year we were hard to guard. We mostly just didn't finish well at the rim. Give me quick transition and ball movement and I think we roll some acc teams

I hope so too re: ball movement. Good defensive teams will hold us to around 60 if we do ISO and just attack one side of the floor. We would have to pray that the zone shuts a team down and/or a team is inept facing it. I’m waiting to see the offense/scheme before any proclamations.

I hope so too re: ball movement. Good defensive teams will hold us to around 60 if we do ISO and just attack one side of the floor. We would have to pray that the zone shuts a team down and/or a team is inept facing it. I’m waiting to see the offense/scheme before any proclamations.
I agree. The book on SU last year was clog the paint and face-guard Frank and Tyus. We have better offensive options this year, but to take advantage of them .. we will need better distribution. General and others can chime in on the X's and O's, but IMO our two biggest offensive goals should be: 1) practice functional inside/outside passing between the guards and Chukwu/Sid so they can make a move or pass back; and 2) anchor MD at the high post to distribute to cutters or open shooters. Both of those set-ups are capable, if executed well enough, of defeating the pack-it-in schemes that held us back last year.

Last edited:
lol clemson ahead of SU... also CAN'T WAIT to play uva in the dome
Taking nothing away from Syracuse (because the Orange have great potential for the upcoming season), I wouldn't take Clemson lightly, either. They finished tied for 3rd in the ACC and were ranked 15th in the final poll. They, too, were a Sweet 16 team, and beat Auburn by 30+ to get there. They lost by four to Kansas. They lose only one starter and one sub. They also have some potential next season. It might be an error to put Clemson ahead of Syracuse, but it isn't a laughable mistake, either.

Last edited:
Taking nothing away from Syracuse (because the Orange have great potential for the upcoming season), I wouldn't take Clemson lightly, either. They finished tied for 3rd in the ACC and were ranked 15th in the final poll. They, too, were a Sweet 16 team, and beat Auburn by 30+ to get there. They lost by four to Kansas. They lose only one starter and one sub. They also have some potential next season. It might be an error to put Clemson ahead of Syracuse, but it isn't a laughable mistake, either.
get your general point, but Devoe and Grantham were both starters

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom