Class of 2020 - Marquez White (San Diego) Mid Flipped to Princeton | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 Marquez White (San Diego) Mid Flipped to Princeton

Haha, come on.

tenor.gif

Last edited:
I called it a couple weeks back haha

Attachments

• IMG_3206.jpg
    IMG_3206.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_3207.jpg
    IMG_3207.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 73
Ivy’s will benefit most over the next few years. Sheer growth of game opens up opportunity for those who have it all and can achieve the highest academic and athletic standards - look at most of the flips - UVA, UNC, Harvard, Yale, Duke, Princeton ...

Starting to sense a trend that SU is going to face some problems in lax recruiting. Something isn’t right.

Starting to sense a trend that SU is going to face some problems in lax recruiting. Something isn’t right.

Something is clearly wrong, we have now lost 5 players to decommits all in the top 100. Its great we identified and got these kids to commit but its useless if they all decomitt. Beyond frustrated/disappointed at this point.

Something is clearly wrong, we have now lost 5 players to decommits all in the top 100. Its great we identified and got these kids to commit but its useless if they all decomitt. Beyond frustrated/disappointed at this point.

Are the Ivies pulling some strings with endowment money? I heard that may be the case at Yale. Anyways, Desko’s days are numbered if he can’t get the program back to a Final 4 very soon.

Syracuse has one of the nation’s top lax programs and the Post Standard has treated it like it’s the field hockey team. Someone there needs to address what’s happpening.

Are the Ivies pulling some strings with endowment money? I heard that may be the case at Yale. Anyways, Desko’s days are numbered if he can’t get the program back to a Final 4 very soon.

I think the Ivies are definitely flexing their muscles following Yales lead so to speak. They have been much more aggressive and it appears the financial aid money is "flowing"

I think the Ivies are definitely flexing their muscles following Yales lead so to speak. They have been much more aggressive and it appears the financial aid money is "flowing"

Honestly, it’s one of the few ways to explain what’s happening. I think in most of these cases it’s a money issue.

Honestly, it’s one of the few ways to explain what’s happening. I think in most of these cases it’s a money issue.

Zawadas flip to Michigan was 100% money related. Doesn't explain all the 2020 decommits though.

lets look at this as a positive-- Marquez was most likely the last of the 2020's to flip, as it seems like the 2019 & 2020 commits who are being coached by former Syracuse Alum are keeping them focused on Syracuse rather than looking at any other opportunities (im pretty sure other coaches have tried reaching out to them because of how many flips we've had recently). also if im correct, all of the 2019's have signed their NLI's besides Blake Ulmer (who is coached by Mike Macdonald) is signing his tomorrow. JJ Levandowski & Sean Donnelly at IMG already signed their NLI's, so hopefully that means that Drew Snyder will as well because they all play together and are coached by Mark Burnam. we still don't know about Camden Hay, but lets just hope Desko and Donahue can develop the players who have redshirted and get a few solid transfers in the next couple of years to compensate for all of these decommits.

There is really nothing to worry about here. The brain trust is burning the mid-afternoon oil reviewing tens of scouting reports of high school beat writers in order to uncover the hidden talents in Kansas and Montana, occasionally even leaving campus to watch a tournament or two while they busily ignore their phones and exert every effort to maintain radio silence with student athletes who have previously committed to SU and are now fielding inquiries from other schools.

Actually understand the 2020 decommits, . They were recruited early, some from afar , and all obviously had the grades/test scores to upgrade as far as academics. Cuse is a solid private but Harvard, Princeton, ND and Virginia are all more prestigious degrees yet all may be less expensive to attend.

Lesson learned from early recruiting was there was risk in recruiting talents with excellent academic profiles because options to switch would appear especially since many "top' colleges seem to have greater flexibility in admissions and financing than years past.

These defections hurt today but they will be covered as team has a good young core in place for years and several 18's and 19's can be redshirted to fill any 20 'gaps' if need be. In a perverse way, it may actually help us slim what could have been a bloated roster that likely has its own negative ramifications.

What should not happen is a reoccurrence in the 2021 class but the restrictions today on early recruiting should help both players and coaches make better decisions and limit the switches that were the result of the foolishness of early recruiting .

Im optimistic, believing Syracuse can be in the FF in 2020 but doubt any of those 20's would have been playing much as frosh if they had stayed.

Better news ahead

Actually understand the 2020 decommits, . They were recruited early, some from afar , and all obviously had the grades/test scores to upgrade as far as academics. Cuse is a solid private but Harvard, Princeton, ND and Virginia are all more prestigious degrees yet all may be less expensive to attend.

Lesson learned from early recruiting was there was risk in recruiting talents with excellent academic profiles because options to switch would appear especially since many "top' colleges seem to have greater flexibility in admissions and financing than years past.

These defections hurt today but they will be covered as team has a good young core in place for years and several 18's and 19's can be redshirted to fill any 20 'gaps' if need be. In a perverse way, it may actually help us slim what could have been a bloated roster that likely has its own negative ramifications.

What should not happen is a reoccurrence in the 2021 class but the restrictions today on early recruiting should help both players and coaches make better decisions and limit the switches that were the result of the foolishness of early recruiting .

Im optimistic, believing Syracuse can be in the FF in 2020 but doubt any of those 20's would have been playing much as frosh if they had stayed.

Better news ahead

Your post makes it hard to be optimistic because it highlights the difficulties SU will face recruiting. Not as "prestigious" academically as many, and the least prestigious in the ACC. More expensive than most. Less aid available than most. And the results haven't been there in recent years to allow us to stand well-above the ivys and our acc brethren competitively.

Your approach seems logically, but it seems to really narrow the pool of recruits.

Most Ivies do not award merit-based scholarships. They are, however, VERY generous with their student aid. If a kid's parents earn less than $65K, you can expect something very close to a full ride.

Yale, Harvard, Princeton, etc. all provide incredibly generous financial aid. While SU provides a good deal of aid, they cannot match what the Ivies have available.

Most Ivies do not award merit-based scholarships. They are, however, VERY generous with their student aid. If a kid's parents earn less than $65K, you can expect something very close to a full ride.

Yale, Harvard, Princeton, etc. all provide incredibly generous financial aid. While SU provides a good deal of aid, they cannot match what the Ivies have available.
Curious how Hopkins recruiting will change now that Bloomberg gave them nearly 2 billion for scholarships.

Curious how Hopkins recruiting will change now that Bloomberg gave them nearly 2 billion for scholarships.

If i recall, Bloomberg's gift was essentially intended to make Hopkins Ivy-esqe/comparable with respect to aid for students from "low income" families.

I think it would be great if more colleges/universities could sell it's major donors on this type of donation. I don't know what it would cost, but a $500 mil gift, earning 2%, yields $10 mil. I'd think that create a pretty big dent towards student debt for "low income" families.

Also, how does this work for Albany, Binghamton, Stony Brook. NY kids whose families pull in $110k or less can go to school tuition free (I may be over-generalizing for hypo's sake). They still have to pay room and board though. So how do the scholarships work? Does Albany have to give a kid whose family makes $50k per year a full ride to cover all room and board costs, or can it give a partial scholly based on the total cost of education (since room and board is about half the total cost, does a .5 scholly cover them completely now)?

Is the NCAA going to have to step in and start looking into this? Let's face it, its a matter of time before some school or State just starts covering the whole nut for any kids who's not in the upper 10% or some other really high threshold.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom