Class of 2020 - Marquez White (San Diego) Mid Flipped to Princeton | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 Marquez White (San Diego) Mid Flipped to Princeton

The question is — is Nanticoke back in play? That would be a game/program changer

Your post makes it hard to be optimistic because it highlights the difficulties SU will face recruiting. Not as "prestigious" academically as many, and the least prestigious in the ACC. More expensive than most. Less aid available than most. And the results haven't been there in recent years to allow us to stand well-above the ivys and our acc brethren competitively.

Your approach seems logically, but it seems to really narrow the pool of recruits.

Yes, you are correct about the cited negatives.. My optimism is in regard to Cuse's short term outlook. .Syracuse staff does face some recruiting hurdles that are somewhat outside their control.

Restrictions on early decisions should lead to more decisiveness by commits .Gotta sell the whole ball of wax these days and there are numerous positives that should be highlighted and marketed. To cite a few: the lax program do have the facilities ,fanbase , legacy ,schedule and visibility. . Their academic support system and trainers are superior to most schools. The school itself offers a solid education and network. Campus has diversity and student happiness rates well.

As far as pool of recruits, I would venture that the pool of good but not exceptional students is larger that the pool of excellent/ exceptional students . Refocus and targeting of academic profiles within our range strengthen commitments without reducing pool. . Not referring to lowering standards or eliminating the recruit of a top student/player but understanding there is more risk when outside the range . There are plenty of good students/players that can get a good education here and enlisting our counselors to discuss capabilities to deliver such with potential recruits could assist.

Administration needs to somehow address high costs .Roster is too large to appease many with athletic monies and I dont know how flexible financial aid is to atheletes relative to general population but costs pertinent for any family with real financial needs. Shouldn't lose kids to Rutgers . When students in need are performing on the field and in the classroom they they should be taken care. Retention of impact players as important as recruitment .Mentioned this before but administration could offer food stipends to atheletes at a minimum

Well the hits just keep on coming. Not sure what to say at this point. I wish Desko could match his on-field game management prowess with his recruiting efforts. It is not uncommon for a school to lose one or two players during the recruiting process, but losing five in two months is simply unheard of. It's downright embarrassing and SU is now the laughingstock of the college lacrosse world. Can the coaching staff right the ship? I don't even know how at this point. It seems unlikely they will start flipping kids already committed to other programs, and most of the 2020 kids are spoken for at this point.

I have to say I don't share any optimism in these developments. Yes, the recruiting classes have been too large over the years, but that doesn't mean we want to shed ourselves of the top ranked players. These kind of developments make me fear that the coaches will again large classes hoping to find a diamond in the rough. Too many excuses for why this is happening - school is too expensive, academics are too challenging, academics aren't prestigious enough ... give me a break. No other school is getting pilfered like this right now. If Desko isn't up for the fight, it's time bring someone on board who will be.

Well the hits just keep on coming. Not sure what to say at this point. I wish Desko could match his on-field game management prowess with his recruiting efforts. It is not uncommon for a school to lose one or two players during the recruiting process, but losing five in two months is simply unheard of. It's downright embarrassing and SU is now the laughingstock of the college lacrosse world. Can the coaching staff right the ship? I don't even know how at this point. It seems unlikely they will start flipping kids already committed to other programs, and most of the 2020 kids are spoken for at this point.

I have to say I don't share any optimism in these developments. Yes, the recruiting classes have been too large over the years, but that doesn't mean we want to shed ourselves of the top ranked players. These kind of developments make me fear that the coaches will again large classes hoping to find a diamond in the rough. Too many excuses for why this is happening - school is too expensive, academics are too challenging, academics aren't prestigious enough ... give me a break. No other school is getting pilfered like this right now. If Desko isn't up for the fight, it's time bring someone on board who will be.

"most of the 2020 kids are spoken for". I don't think this is truly accurate. The 5 stars are spoken for but there are a ton of good players out there. Lax rankings are sketchy at best. How many kids can Xanders and a few other IL guys actually see? If you don't play for one of the NLF teams it is hard to get that kind of exposure.

That said this is not a good development but I don't think this will ever happen again. This level of flipping will be somewhat unique to the 19's and 20's. The staff need to work harder.

The question is — is Nanticoke back in play? That would be a game/program changer
Is this actually a thought? There's a chance this could happen? Cause if so, we could contend for a title with the players surrounding him and our skill at pole.

Is this actually a thought? There's a chance this could happen? Cause if so, we could contend for a title with the players surrounding him and our skill at pole.

I am not aware of Nanticoke looking to transfer but I think he has bigger issues then that right now if the rumors of academic issues are true.

My question is does Desko and staff get commits and treat them like sign NLI ?? They need to recruit these guys past the commitment. They need to be talking to them at least once a week (during allowed times) and getting these kids to recruit other kids. To me it seems like the only commits we are getting is the sons of former players and guys who were fans from birth. We need the kids who don’t know anything about our history. Our history means nothing to 16,17,18 year olds they were 7,8,9 when we last won the title.

Not sure...I don't get the sense that he will definitely be back at Albany - my understanding is that it is primarily academic, but the program has also taken a severe hit with the loss of TD, Fields and more...so could we wrap our arms around him now , bring him to the Cuse and help guide this kid in the classroom?? ...Unlike Albany, he would have a real shot at a NC with our current roster...we did this with Cody Jamieson who had continual issues in the classroom, but we pulled him along and, ironically, he pulled us along too...As most off you know, his goal in OT led to our last championship for the program ...would also help restore our connection to six nations that seems to have slipped away...

When the news got posted in the college lax discussion page I said all the decommits are worrisome...

I got this response.

It’s a result of the NCAA recruiting rule changes last year. This allowed the coaches to do a “recruiting reset” and go after the players that committed in eighth grade.

Then I said that 4 2020 and a 2019 all top 100

Then I got another reply from another guy...
I feel like it’s a mixture of the new recruiting rules, more kids playing than ever in more areas, and more schools than ever. Kids have more options to choose from to have success both on and off the field. Plus more time to make a more mature decision

What does everyone think of this?

In this sea of bad news re lax recruiting this post made me LOL! Smdh

There is really nothing to worry about here. The brain trust is burning the mid-afternoon oil reviewing tens of scouting reports of high school beat writers in order to uncover the hidden talents in Kansas and Montana, occasionally even leaving campus to watch a tournament or two while they busily ignore their phones and exert every effort to maintain radio silence with student athletes who have previously committed to SU and are now fielding inquiries from other schools.

Feel better once the swelling goes down and the implants are in. Better news ahead

p22 - the sun come up tomorrow.

p22 - the sun come up tomorrow.

True.

Powell is a most even heeled voice but this cluster has even him losing his religion.

Just a few weeks away from practices resuming.

2020 is two years away, much time to replenish.

True.

Powell is a most even heeled voice but this cluster has even him losing his religion.

Just a few weeks away from practices resuming.

2020 is two years away, much time to replenish.

Thank you and Sholokov for remaining positive!

I feel like it has been a back and forth with this coaching staff for a number of years now. One Final Four appearance since the last title which is 10 years old. And it's easy to say, be grateful for what you have (look at what Princeton has become since it's glory years, Hopkins has had similar track record these past 10 or so years, etc).

BUT, it seems like there is a spark that has gone out of the program these last few years, despite the ACC/Big East titles and memorably close games. I can't quite place my finger on it, but there has been a downward trend and it does not seem like the people in charge are incredibly engaged right now. They seem content to rest on their laurels and expect things to turn around just by being Syracuse.

I was okay giving them the benefit of the doubt, but this latest recruiting fiasco has forced me to change my mind. I am very hopeful that I am wrong, but I think there needs to be serious changes made to the program before SU can return to its glory days.

Last edited:
Thank you and Sholokov for remaining positive! I feel like it has been a back and forth with this coaching staff for a number of years now. One Final Four appearance since the last title which is 10 years old. And it's easy to say, be grateful for what you have (look at what Princeton has become since it's glory years, Hopkins has had similar track record these past 10 or so years, etc). BUT, it seems like there is a spark that has gone out of the program these last few years, despite the ACC/Big East titles and memorably close games. I can't quite place my finger on it, but there has been a downward trend and it does not seem like the people in charge are incredibly engaged right now. They seem content to rest on their laurels and expect things to turn around just by being Syracuse. I was okay giving them the benefit of the doubt, but this latest recruiting fiasco has forced me to change my mind. I am very hopeful that I am wrong, but I think there needs to be serious changes made to the program before SU can return to its glory days.

Powell, You are a avid and knowledgeable fan with such a great handle so it bothers that I may be underestimating what could be underfoot.

Still pass most of the blame to the tomfoolery of early recruiting but aware that the landscape has changed and Cuse is now combating against many more aggressive suitors that are leveraging certain advantages.

Still have faith for these reasons, Cuse has good young talent in place on the current team and this staff recruited all those talented 2020's so they have not been asleep at the wheel. These recent defections do startle and will result in assessments and improvements to approach and follow. Staff still do a good job developing and competing against all those highly touted ACC recruiting classes. Time will tell but Id favor refining rather than changing

Powell, You are a avid and knowledgeable fan with such a great handle so it bothers that I may be underestimating what could be underfoot.

Still pass most of the blame to the tomfoolery of early recruiting but aware that the landscape has changed and Cuse is now combating against many more aggressive suitors that are leveraging certain advantages.

Still have faith for these reasons, Cuse has good young talent in place on the current team and this staff recruited all those talented 2020's so they have not been asleep at the wheel. These recent defections do startle and will result in assessments and improvements to approach and follow. Staff still do a good job developing and competing against all those highly touted ACC recruiting classes. Time will tell but Id favor refining rather than changing

Thanks Ivy - I have been wrong many times in life about many things, and I hope I am wrong about this as well!

When looking at all of the negative things that have happened to the program over the last 10 years, I can make excuses and reason them away. But when I take a look at the larger picture I am deeply discouraged about what has transpired. However, I will try and be more positive going forward. Excited to see the 2019 team suit up and see what they can do!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom