Marrone fires Hackett | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Marrone fires Hackett

Probably a situation of “make changes, or we will”.
I’m sure Coughlin was in on this...

He was the easiest guy to fire b/c the offense stinks with the personnel they have. Marrone took the Jags to literally one play from the Superbowl. Guy is a good coach. Needs to divorce himself from Bortles and see what this offense can do w a real QB.

Regarding Marrone's exit. The biggest mistake was not locking up Hackett with Shafer when Marrone left.

He was the easiest guy to fire b/c the offense stinks with the personnel they have. Marrone took the Jags to literally one play from the Superbowl. Guy is a good coach. Needs to divorce himself from Bortles and see what this offense can do w a real QB.

Regarding Marrone's exit. The biggest mistake was not locking up Hackett with Shafer when Marrone left.
I really think Marrone and Couglin felt they could avoid the expense of a new QB and thought Bortles was service-able enough to win games along with their solid D. They were wrong. They can't go where they want with Bortles at the helm.

Last edited:
The OL injuries and Fournette always being dinged killed this season. Especially with Bortles at QB. Their style means their margin for error is very slim. He won't be canned. What I am curious about is who made the call on the Bortles extension?

Marrone should replace him with Rob Spence.

You know Marrone didn’t want to fire Hackett. But even the saints answer to someone.
He's actually the OC at Georgetown now..

Probably a situation of “make changes, or we will”.
I’m sure Coughlin was in on this...

Marrone's hands were tied with this one. With all the injuries & Bortle's inconsistencies, this offense was doomed no matter who coached it. Let's be honest, Marrone has always wanted the Jets job. With Bowles no doubt out after this year, don't be surprised if you see Marrone/Hackett with the Jets next year. Whether you like him or not, Marrone is a damn good football coach.

Jacksonville is a dysfunctional franchise in an absolutely horrible market. Doug will jump ship to the Jets (always his #1) if given the opportunity!!!

Marrone's hands were tied with this one. With all the injuries & Bortle's inconsistencies, this offense was doomed no matter who coached it. Let's be honest, Marrone has always wanted the Jets job. With Bowles no doubt out after this year, don't be surprised if you see Marrone/Hackett with the Jets next year. Whether you like him or not, Marrone is a damn good football coach.
Marrone and the NYC media is a match made in heaven.

The jags, whiffed on the OL.

With a bad OL, you go nowhere.

Bortles was ok with a good line, sheet without it.

The jags, whiffed on the OL.

With a bad OL, you go nowhere.

Bortles was ok with a good line, sheet without it.
They lost their starting LT for the season against the Pats week 2.
Bortles is a first read QB who if it’s covered looks to run.
That won’t work against NFL teams that mix man and zone.
He was hot against the Pats man to man in the first half of that game with 3 TDs.
When the Pats mixed in zone he wasn’t as good.

Bortles sucks. Eli to Jacksonville next year.

I said this previously about Marrone.
He is a good pro coach. However his sycophants on this board who make him out to be greater than he is makes it hard to root for him.
Marrone was a solid coach for us but he fits the pro game a lot more than the college game.
If our AD was aware he was going go pursue a pro job then it did a poor job being prepared for his leaving. If the AD didn’t know Marrone was pursuing a pro job that would shock me.
Marrone left late and that does hurt his legacy.
Marrone won’t get fired this year. His fate will be tied to the rookie the Jaguars draft next April.
I am not confident in Coughlin though as he drafted Leonard Fournette 4th overall over DeShaun Watson and Patrick Mahomes.
At least Fournette gives them a punchers' chance.

At least Fournette gives them a punchers' chance.
We all knew 2 years ago Bortles sucked.
I would have taken Watson 4th 2 years ago.
RBs are a dime a dozen.
I thought Watson was going to be a good pro by good he was at Clemson.
He made pro throws in tough windows while at Clemson.

And Greg Robinson
Hes-already-dead.jpg.cf.jpg

No. Its because of personal interactions with him.

Our personal interactions with him were uniformly positive.

He was always gracious to me, my father and my family.

And, the folks I know in the Athletic Department liked him a lot.

He and Rob Edson became very close friends.

I was angry that he left. I thought he had an obligation to stay for a while longer.

My mom is still ticked off at him.

But, he did a great job on the Hill - gave us two bowl wins and a 2012 season that was a lot of fun.

hard to go to nfl championship when jacksonville is in afc

Ha! Sorry, I wasn’t thinking. Regardless, the point stands.

Marrone should replace him with Rob Spence.

You know Marrone didn’t want to fire Hackett. But even the saints answer to someone.
Wasn’t that Marrone? He was their OC. :p

Bortles is a first read QB who if it’s covered looks to run.
That won’t work against NFL teams that mix man and zone.

As much as I love Dungey, you just summed him up right here. Works in college, won't in the NFL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom