Marrone in Contact with O'Brien | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Marrone in Contact with O'Brien

Classy move by Doug, but I'd expect nothing less. Even his detractors have to admit he's a stand up guy.

And I'm shocked - shocked - that Lane Kiffin was not included in that list.
and I'm very surprised that UConn is not recruiting any current PSU players or recruits

OBrien did say they'll have to get Pennsylvania kids to buy in and walkon to the team paying a 'great state tuition'.

The scholarship limitation will absolutely hurt them. We saw what it did to us with regards to depth.

Exactly. No doubt a state school can accommodate reductions in scholarships more readily that private schools with hefty tuition. Pennsylvania kids will even buy into this as their way of helping out good old PSU. Of course, it will also give him a chance to fill his roster with more Pennsylvania kids than normal, which will even further emphasize the siege mentality there.

Interesting, O'Brien and Marrone met while on O'Leary's staff. I also beleive that Marrone introduced O'Brien to his wife.

My understanding is that Marrone and O'Brien's wives roomed together in college. Both men have worked together in the past. Also both families have vacationed together. Under those circumstances, I think it is not a far stretch to assume that DM approached the delicate subject of potential transfers in a most friendly and gentlemanly way.

I wonder if a kid is convinced he needs to transfer O'Brien will push him in Marron's direction.

Kiffin was probably hiding in the bushes outside of the football complex calling to players after they left the team meeting the other day. "Pssst, Silas, over here, behind the shrubbery..."

Lol that's funny because it really isn't that hard to conjure up that image in my head. That little sniveling weasel.

I'm just glad that HCDM is actually going after some of these players.

and I'm very surprised that UConn is not recruiting any current PSU players or recruits

I thought I read that other coaches do not have to courtesy-call O'Brien in this situation??

Is that incorrect?

Obviously, it's the gentlemanly thing to do, but if true, it would not surprise me if a Kiffen or Schiano type just starts calling players without a courtesy call to O'Brien. P, I would expect him to call... but stranger things happen.

Not sure if this was a joke or not, but UConn was on the list someone reported yesterday of having reached out to Penn State players.

Regarding the courtesy calls, I agree with what Cowherd said today. To paraphrase, if O'Brien is looking for courtesy, then he's in the wrong business. Still nice that Marrone did it, but more to do with his personal relationship with O'Brien.

I thought I read that other coaches do not have to courtesy-call O'Brien in this situation??

Is that incorrect?

Obviously, it's the gentlemanly thing to do, but if true, it would not surprise me if a Kiffen or Schiano type just starts calling players without a courtesy call to O'Brien. P, I would expect him to call... but stranger things happen.
true, no obligation. and while marrone was on the phone making nice with his buddy, kiffenesque coaches were contacting the guys marrone wanted.

its a dog eat dog world out there, dont be the one wearing the milkbone underwear.

thank you mr. official contrarian - because clearly I was being literal there and not making a joke

I don't know if you were being literal or making a joke (i assumed joke), but i stated fact. plus my comment wasn't intended to just your post but to a few who take your comment literally.

OBrien did say they'll have to get Pennsylvania kids to buy in and walkon to the team paying a 'great state tuition'.

Wonder who will pay it?

I'm just glad that HCDM is actually going after some of these players.

Marrone, self-admittedly, has an obligation to put the best product that he can on the field for the administration, students, alumni and fans. If the PSU situation provides an opportunity to improve that product, then he and his staff have an obligation to explore it. He's a professional and he's doing it the right way.

Is that incorrect?

I thought I read that coaches did have to contact the school before the kid. Isn't there another thread about that?

As an aside in our capitalistic world, I read where someone was selling for $800 the cell phone numbers of the complete roster.

Marrone, self-admittedly, has an obligation to put the best product that he can on the field for the administration, students, alumni and fans. If the PSU situation provides an opportunity to improve that product, then he and his staff have an obligation to explore it. He's a professional and he's doing it the right way.
Well said, and it is integrity like this that ensures that Syracuse will not have to face a scandal such as this under Doug Marrone's watch.

Went on to say he'll reschedule to end the season with a 'big game' or a trip to Hawaii.

Which I have been predicting on these boards for a week. The NCAA should ABSOLUTELY ban this- it is a sneering slap in the face mockery of the bowl ban. I know, I know, there'd be no bowl money, but they'd reward their program, team, and fans with a warm weather fun trip in December. I was unsold on PSU not totally "getting it" but I am now firmly in the Bees camp- these arrogant arseholes really don't get it.

Wonder who will pay it?

Start with the regional Alumni Associations which will have local scholar-athlete scholarships spring up, follow with wealthy area alums who just happen to start endowing Scranton-area, Harrisburg-area, etc scholarships for "outstanding student-athletes and leaders".

Et Cetera.

I hadn't considered this angle. Even for in-state kids, you're talking about close to $30K/yr for tuition + fees + room & board.

I thought the Gbinije transfer was handled well by 2 close friends.

true, no obligation. and while marrone was on the phone making nice with his buddy, kiffenesque coaches were contacting the guys marrone wanted.

its a dog eat dog world out there, dont be the one wearing the milkbone underwear.

there is still a right way to do things and a wrong way to do things.

@Ben_Jones88: RT @12_darKnight: We have chosen to stay at PSU & other opposing coaches are outside our apartment. Was that the intentions of the NCAA

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Not sure if this was a joke or not, but UConn was on the list someone reported yesterday of having reached out to Penn State players.

Regarding the courtesy calls, I agree with what Cowherd said today. To paraphrase, if O'Brien is looking for courtesy, then he's in the wrong business. Still nice that Marrone did it, but more to do with his personal relationship with O'Brien.
now this one was sarcasm and aimed at the Saint P crowd. With P being a Penn State guy and a one time next in line to be head of the coaches association I was surprised to not see his name mentioned as someone who contacted BOB.

@Ben_Jones88: RT @12_darKnight: We have chosen to stay at PSU & other opposing coaches are outside our apartment. Was that the intentions of the NCAA

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

It's turning into Johnny Be Good.

I'd love it if they made a sequel to that by the way, see how his career turned out at State. Figured him for a 5 star bust.

Start with the regional Alumni Associations which will have local scholar-athlete scholarships spring up, follow with wealthy area alums who just happen to start endowing Scranton-area, Harrisburg-area, etc scholarships for "outstanding student-athletes and leaders".

Et Cetera.
I can't image that sort of circumvention would ever fly with the NCAA, who you can bet will be keeping a close watch for any irregularities in Happy Valley. The NCAA policy has been that any scholarship still counts against the football total, even if it is from the track program, etc. The only exception might be if it's need-based, but these days that is closely regulated and verifiable based on the FAFSA Student Aid Report.

I think O'Brien is right about bowl games - under the present system.

Again, I may be very wrong but I think those who predict the demise of PSU Football are wrong.

The Big Ten, the TV exposure, the coaching and the 108, 000 for home games will attract great players in my opinion.

The loss in numbers will put them in a bit of hole for a short while and then they'll be back. I'd also suggest that the rest of the college football world understands that this is mostly as it should be since the responsible parties have all been put out to pasture at this point anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom