Marrone in Contact with O'Brien | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Marrone in Contact with O'Brien

Great to hear what Marrone did.

Ultimately we're not talking about fantasy football, but real human beings, young one's at that, making life-altering decisions.

If a kid goes to O'Brien saying that he's thinking it's best for him to leave (not that he has to tell him, but I bet a lot do), and O'Brien can't convince him to stay, it doesn't hurt that O'Brien knows Marrone to be an upstanding guy. Steering to a good leader and all.

Yep

I prefer a fun ice-breaker to ease the tension a bit. Like maybe: "Hi Bill, it's Louis Freeh calling with the results of the background check on your new defensive coordinator. Just kidding, it's Doug Marrone. How are ya holding up pal? Say, can I have some of your talent?"

Ultimately we're not talking about fantasy football, but real human beings, young one's at that, making life-altering decisions.

If a kid goes to O'Brien saying that he's thinking it's best for him to leave (not that he has to tell him, but I bet a lot do), and O'Brien can't convince him to stay, it doesn't hurt that O'Brien knows Marrone to be an upstanding guy. Steering to a good leader and all.

It also doesn't hurt to know that Syracuse is absolutely no threat in the immediate future. I mean, I know that's harsh, but would you rather a good prospect head out to Michigan, etc., or Syracuse?

It also doesn't hurt to know that Syracuse is absolutely no threat in the immediate future. I mean, I know that's harsh, but would you rather a good prospect head out to Michigan, etc., or Syracuse?

Does the BigTen have a prohibition against in-conference transfers, like the BE has?

Does the BigTen have a prohibition against in-conference transfers, like the BE has?

I'm fairly certain all bets are off in this scenario. I could be wrong, but I believe they can go anywhere w/o penalty. I can't really imagine the Big 10 overruling that but maybe.

I'm fairly certain all bets are off in this scenario. I could be wrong, but I believe they can go anywhere w/o penalty. I can't really imagine the Big 10 overruling that but maybe.

It wouldn't be the Big 10 overruling anything. After all, the NCAA doesn't prohibit players from transferring within the Big East, that is a BE conference rule.

True. All things considered, I imagine O'Brien would rather see schools like SU, BC, Rutgers, Maryland, etc. get some transfers over his direct competition in the Big Ten or anyone competing for national recruits in the SEC, ACC, Big 12 or Pac-12. Once PSU gets back to full strength they'll resume crushing the former schools on the recruiting trail. Best not to give the latter any leg up.

Follow
We have chosen to stay at Penn State and opposing coaches are outside our apartment, was that the intention of the NCAA?

I wonder if "Thundercalves in a Visor" is standing out there?

Exactly

don't think it's awkward at all

Bill - some of these kids aren't going to want to stick around through these sanctions. If they're planning to move on I'd like to see if they have any interest in going to Syracuse.

Seems pretty straight forward.

so you're saying it's more like " Hey Jim...I hear your wife is a slut and was planning on sleeping around...sooooooo..."

Except when the player helps them start out 0-1 next year.

But that was going to happen anyway.

@BrentAxeMedia
ESPN says Illinois sent six coaches to #PennState. In the parking lot. I mean...come on.

From ESPN.com's latest news story:

[Penn State head coach Bill] O'Brien and his colleagues walked past a group of six coaches carrying University of Illinois bags and suitcases. A Penn State official told ESPN.com that no words were exchanged between O'Brien and the Illinois contingent. O'Brien declined to identify the players who have been offered up to 50 scholarships, but Illinois assistant athletic director Kent Brown acknowledged a group of Fighting Illini coaches are on Penn State's campus to recruit "a player or two -- maybe more."

Marrone is a class act and reflects well on SU. He is a pro. A courtesy call only takes a few minutes but it says a lot.

Marrone is a class act and reflects well on SU. He is a pro. A courtesy call only takes a few minutes but it says a lot.

I agree -- I'm sure his prior relationship helped in this respect but it's still a much more professional way of handling it. And it is embarrassing on Illinois' part.

Pimp-Whore

http://www.fightingillini.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/beckman_tim00.html

@BrentAxeMedia
ESPN says Illinois sent six coaches to #PennState. In the parking lot. I mean...come on.

[Penn State head coach Bill] O'Brien and his colleagues walked past a group of six coaches carrying University of Illinois bags and suitcases. A Penn State official told ESPN.com that no words were exchanged between O'Brien and the Illinois contingent. O'Brien declined to identify the players who have been offered up to 50 scholarships, but Illinois assistant athletic director Kent Brown acknowledged a group of Fighting Illini coaches are on Penn State's campus to recruit "a player or two -- maybe more."

@BrentAxeMedia

Remember everyone, we're in a new age of proper PERSPECTIVE in college athletics!

:blah:
:bang:

I can't be the only one laughing at this. Just picturing six coaches hanging out there, with their school logo on their bags, not even acknowledging the PSU head coach. It's like something out of a movie.

Gross should show up there with his USC bag.
often heard this week by obrien as hes walking to his car...'hey buddy, can you tell me where the football dorm is?'

the gross line was great.

Typically, the schools that are prevented from being transfer locations are conference rivals, regional recruiting rivals, and upcoming opponents. SU is two of those, although how much of a recruiting rival they actual are is debatable.

Obviously, none of these prohibitions will apply in this case and being regional works in SU's favor. But if you were a kid transferring out, would you want to go to a school that will be soon playing against PSU? Illinois seems to think so and Michigan already snagged someone (I think it was a recruit rather than a player already on campus though). Seems to me that they would want to cut ties completely and not have to face their (former) friends who will consider them as traitors.

More importantly, would this factor into how strongly O'Brien recommends (or not) certain schools?

"ESPN says Illinois sent six coaches to #PennState. In the parking lot. I mean...come on."

Maybe they were there to see Fawn Leibowitz. Sophomore dies in kiln explosion. Oh my God I just talked to her last week. She was going to make me a pot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom