Marrone is the Right Guy Right Now | Syracusefan.com

Marrone is the Right Guy Right Now

javadoc

All American
I can't believe anyone wants him fired right now. So many angles to address here. When he was hired, the program needed a couple things:

Better coaches. Robinson apparently didn't have a great budget, and we got what we paid for.

Better players. Marrone said that when he took over we were the slowest and smallest class in the BE. Imagine our place in D-1A.

Better facilities. Well documented.

Rejuvenation. Dispirited fan base and loss of respect among HS coaches in the northeast.

With Marrone's hire we spent some money on coaches and facilities. It's a start. But Gross has said that we still aren't paying market value for our coaches, and while the Manley overhaul is fine for the moment, it isn't the long-term solution. We are on the cusp of achieving program stability and relative parity in D-1A, whereas we have been deep in a hole for almost a decade. The ACC move provides the one thing that everything else depends on: money.

With that money, the most important thing to do is build facilities and pay more for coaches. I would say that the facilities are more important. We have to build the bling, as apparently the kiddies really care about it. It hurts recruiting, no matter who the coaches are, and it is a factor directly in our control. As for the coaches, maybe we'll be able to keep the coaches we really want to, and also afford an actual offensive coordinator.

We are getting better players. We're not "there" yet but the athleticism is clearly improving, as is the team's size. You may disagree, but I contend that we are doing as well as anyone could reasonably be expected to do right now, in Marrone's position. I do not believe that any coach that might have taken the job would be doing significantly better right now - too many negatives to overcome. The fact that we aren't laughed out of the water is a huge accomplishment. You think there is a "closer" out there who could have landed a bunch of big name recruits by now if we'd only hired him instead of Marrone? I think you're crazy. That coach doesn't exist (remember, this is a coach who would have taken the job, and all it entails).

So say that Marrone really is the bum that he is made out to be, and is a guy with an 8-4 ceiling to which we will stabilize. It is important to have a Syracuse guy like him steering the ship for the next few years, rebuilding recruiting relationships, improving the brand, improving the talent constantly, and being the face of SU football while we change conferences and dig ourselves out of that enormous hole from which we can only now even see the rim above us.

In a couple years, when we're stuck on 7-5 or 8-4... and we have facilities on par with our peers, and we are competitive for assistant coaches on the 2nd-tier level (below the factory-level), and our roster is mostly populated by guys playing at 3- or 4-star level, and the Dome is packing 45K per game because the students get in free (and all students pay an annual $99 fee for it), then you can go look for the guy to get us to the next level.

Or, fire Marrone now and go looking for someone dumb enough to want the job, when the school has no patience and isn't even paying freaking market value for the work, and the program is in the midst of turmoil and change. Good luck!

BC is sagging, Penn State is going into the crapper, Rutgers and UConn are selling an even more diminished product than they already had. The northeast is ripe for the picking. You don't change horses now.

I like your optimism... About the $99 annual fee for students, is that in the works, cause it should be?

I agree with your comment about a "closer" as well... Saban was not taking the SU job...

I like your optimism... About the $99 annual fee for students, is that in the works, cause it should be?
I don't know - I have only seen it discussed here in relation to the efforts to pack the Dome this year. I mentioned it to my dad and he said that was the way it used to be, so it would make sense to bring it back. Marrone has specifically said that poor attendance has hurt recruiting efforts. So they must fix the issue at all costs.

I wasn't even being optimistic. I happen to think that Marrone's ceiling is higher than the people who want him fired right now think it is. I'm optimistic in that regard.

BC is sagging, Penn State is going into the crapper, Rutgers and UConn are selling an even more diminished product than they already had. The northeast is ripe for the picking. You don't change horses now.

This man speaks the truth.

I don't know - I have only seen it discussed here in relation to the efforts to pack the Dome this year. I mentioned it to my dad and he said that was the way it used to be, so it would make sense to bring it back. Marrone has specifically said that poor attendance has hurt recruiting efforts. So they must fix the issue at all costs.

I wasn't even being optimistic. I happen to think that Marrone's ceiling is higher than the people who want him fired right now think it is. I'm optimistic in that regard.

I hear ya... Optimism was the wrong word choice...

I agree with your comment about a "closer" as well... Saban was not taking the SU job...
My understanding its a done deal because the season ticket holders in the 300 level above the current student section have been told they will be relocated next season because those seats will be for the students.

My understanding its a done deal because the season ticket holders in the 300 level above the current student section have been told they will be relocated next season because those seats will be for the students.

Are you sure? Is the whole section because I know people that sit there and they haven't been told. But maybe it is only 1/2 the section or something.

That would dumb. We never fill the student section. If they really need space they should take up 123-125 and give back 102-103 to STHs.

No comment ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would dumb. We never fill the student section. If they really need space they should take up 123-125 and give back 102-103 to STHs.

Plenty of students decided not to go to the USF game.

Maybe "free" tickets (you already paid for them regardless) will help some. Maybe the athletic QBs and the younger WRs will bring more excitement to this offense and that will help. The defense will always be aggressive and the younger guys should get better as they get older. Maybe that will help too.

Would be nice to get back to the point where getting a full student section isn't an event, it's the norm. That's the way I remember it when I was there, even with a junior and senior year (93 and 94) that weren't up to the standards of the freshman and sophomore years.

Plenty of students decided not to go to the USF game.

Maybe "free" tickets (you already paid for them regardless) will help some. Maybe the athletic QBs and the younger WRs will bring more excitement to this offense and that will help. The defense will always be aggressive and the younger guys should get better as they get older. Maybe that will help too.

Would be nice to get back to the point where getting a full student section isn't an event, it's the norm. That's the way I remember it when I was there, even with a junior and senior year (93 and 94) that weren't up to the standards of the freshman and sophomore years.

I was a student from 95-99 and had season tix all 4 years ... the student section always seemed to be packed because Donnie McNabb and company gave us all a reason to pack the Dome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom