Marrone Presser | Syracusefan.com

Marrone Presser

Fjoinkay

Starter
One of the journalists actually asked HCDM if they would spend any time this week preparing for USC. I thought coach might blow his stack, but he laughed mockingly instead and made a point of it.

Again, Marrone praised the defense for hanging in, especially in the red zone, when it was on the field for so many plays while the offense was going 3-and-out on 6 of out 7 first half possessions. Some journalists will never buy this I guess, but to me it seems obvious. The defense was up against it, and they kept SU in the game.

Some of the big plays the defense did allow may have been due to miscommunication according to coach. I hope that was the case on the 60 yard TD strike after the Provo TD, but even if it was I'd like to see P. Thomas tackle that receiver. This is probably unrelated, but I noticed that on several plays the defense was looking at the sideline for the the play call while the Wake offense was lined up and ready to take the snap. Did I hear somewhere that SU is using a new system to call plays on defense?

Coach mentioned again that the offense needs to adjust quicker find it's rhythm quicker. He also said it needs play fast right out of the gate no matter what the defense is doing. The good news is once the offense did adjust it never lost it's rhythm. In fact in the second half Wake only stopped the offense on the first possession, and SU had mounted it's first drive of the game. After that Bailey's fumble was the only other drive killer, and on that play he picked up a first down and then some. The bad news is that this is Rhode Island's season opener, so like any opener SU can only guess what the RI defense is likely to do. On the positive side this will be a nice challenge for the offense to see how quickly and efficiently it can make any necessary adjustments.

Several inexperienced players played a lot of plays. Lyn was mentioned for his aggressive and quality play. I thought he made a couple of excellent tackles.

On a side note, it looks more and more likely that Tanner Price will play this week for Wake against NC State. I hope so. If he is healthy I suspect Wake has a pretty good season.

I think the defense played so well in the red zone because there was no space for the WF wide outs to get behind our guys.

How often did they get behind our guys?

Often. Well maybe not as much as "behind" as "separated from" because there were a ton of completions on the sidelines.

i thought the initial diagnosis on price was out for year. good for them if thats far from the case as it seems now

The red zone is s shortened field, and our defense did a good job in that area. Price made several nice throws on 3rd down. I wonder if the SU offense had moved the ball early in the first half giving the defense more time to rest, if that affects those 3rd down Wake completions?

Often. Well maybe not as much as "behind" as "separated from" because there were a ton of completions on the sidelines.
We weren't playing press coverage, an out to the sideline is uncoverable if there is a cushion and the QB knows how to throw them correctly.

I think most of the open rcvrs were caused by too much time more than poor coverage.. Also we ended up with big plays when the safeties were covering the wideouts..

I think most of the open rcvrs were caused by too much time more than poor coverage.. Also we ended up with big plays when the safeties were covering the wideouts..

I think their receivers, especially that one guy, were able to get behind our safeties too many times. Of course, we missed several tackles in the secondary, too. These things are correctable, though, and they do look like good athletes back there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo123

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom