Marrone To The Bills Per Adam Schefter | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Marrone To The Bills Per Adam Schefter

Suprised so many here ignore what became blindingly obvious through this whole ugly process, i.e. that his career was and is about checking the boxes to become an NFL hc. In the end SU was a relatively easy job for him to aim for and (after the disaster of GRob) a venue where he could show some quick results.
Don't get me wrong we benefited from his ambition and I think SU must quickly show enhanced commitment to the program, but right now my lasting memory of DM will be the lack of class he showed in how he orchestrated this process.

I will not wish him luck I hope he fails. He will be an NFL assistant in less than 4 years. Now that he has signed with an NFL team we should be see checks coming in from him now correct? Doug practice what you preach dont be apart of the problem right?

I will not wish him luck I hope he fails. He will be an NFL assistant in less than 4 years. Now that he has signed with an NFL team we should be see checks coming in from him now correct? Doug practice what you preach dont be apart of the problem right?
Jesus, what are you 12? There are apparently real reasons why he was unhappy and he had a chance to go the the next level. He may not have been this hot a property for several years, if ever. If he wasn't convinced this was the place that would do all he said he needed, this was the time to jump.

What was it about?

How many times and in how many threads does this have to be answered?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Jesus, what are you 12? There are apparently real reasons why he was unhappy and he had a chance to go the the next level. He may not have been this hot a property for several years, if ever. If he wasn't convinced this was the place that would do all he said he needed, this was the time to jump.

Because he handled it like a 12 year old and came a big part of the problems the University has. Instead of helping fixing the problems he caused more. And if we lose a ton of recruits because of the way he handled it then screw DM. I am about the team and the program not some blow hard coach that ran away when the job became challenging.

Right we should all get a life. It's a business. He handled the process with class and respect for his current employer, players, recruits and fans.Lots of other coaches have done the same thing, e.g. Petrino, Tubberville at TT, Graham at Pitt. LSU fans really understand Saban leaving and wish him well.

Why are all you thanking him? Yes he turned the program around but he also lied to everyone saying Syracuse is his dream job.

As someone posted earlier via twitter, "dream job doesn't mean last job".

Life moves on. I suggest you do the same.

Before I jump to conclusions I'd like to know why he left. Was it really about the colleges refusal to invest in facilities? Or was it about his desire to become an NFL head coach all along.

I am happy about what he did for the program but he is leaving halfway the through the job. It's a pretty sad state in the NFL when mediocre college coaches get snatched up.

I wish him luck, he's going to need it in Buffalo, if he thinks there were problems here Buffalo is a graveyard for coaches.

Right we should all get a life. It's a business. He handled the process with class and respect for his current employer, players, recruits and fans.Lots of other coaches have done the same thing, e.g. Petrino, Tubberville at TT, Graham at Pitt. LSU fans really understand Saban leaving and wish him well.

Never said get a life. I basically said stop acting like a child. It happened, move on. Or I can send you a pacifier while I focus on who is next...

How many times and in how many threads does this have to be answered?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Come on. There's been a lot of conjecture as to the reason(s) ranging from:

Had his eye on NFL from day one
Felt fan support was lacking in terms of attendance
Felt fan support was lacking in terms of fundraising
Was promised more in way of facilities than occurred
Insufficent contract extension in terms of length
Insufficient contract extension in terms of HC and staff salaries
Nasty letters or comments from fans
BOT not adequately supporting program in view of future revenue bump from ACC
Chancellor and possibly AD were leaving

Was curious what your view is among these (or other reasons) since you don't feel the HC salary was the issue or principal issue.

Obviously many factors played into Marrone's decision to pursue an NFL job. I've read a lot on here about the University's commitment, or lack thereof, to the football program and I have no doubt that was a factor. I can think of many more factors as well. The question we may never know the answer to is what was the final straw for Doug Marrone?

One factor I haven't seen mentioned on this board, and I may have missed it, is that Doug Marrone may have simply missed the NFL game. Marrone is a top-notch game-planner at any level and he develops talent as well as anyone at the college level. But I think he loves the pro style offense. He loves the complexity of the pro style offense. I think it took him 3 years to finally simplify the offense at SU probably because he wanted to win with his knowledge of offense that he developed coaching in the NFL. Even his demeanor on the sidelines was originally more consistent with pro head coaches than with college coaches.

If I'm accurate so far then I think it's reasonable to believe that he would rather compete at a level where he can practice more than 20 hours a week and use what he might consider his personal expertise. I have no doubt that other factors played a role and maybe even the deciding role, but I am certain that a part of Doug Marrone missed the NFL game.

For a guy who works as hard as he does and who lives by an impeccable set values the way he does, I congratulate him on his new job in the NFL and I wish him all the best.

Here's hoping SU finds someone to keep it going in the right direction. The ACC has a shot at being a pretty good league if we can keep it together. Looking forward to seeing the Orange in the the Triangle!

Before I jump to conclusions I'd like to know why he left. Was it really about the colleges refusal to invest in facilities? Or was it about his desire to become an NFL head coach all along.

I am happy about what he did for the program but he is leaving halfway the through the job. It's a pretty sad state in the NFL when mediocre college coaches get snatched up.

whatever the reason is in public he will say he wanted to get back into nfl as head coach. He isnt leaving half way he is at 2/3 mark of turning the program around. I honestly feel doug would not have left unless he felt the program was strong enough to continue the success with someone else

Never said get a life. I basically said stop acting like a child. It happened, move on. Or I can send you a pacifier while I focus on who is next...
I can and will move on, but won't rationalize or apologize for DM when all the available info points the other way. A key issue now is does DM gut the remaining staff like Schiano.

Come on. There's been a lot of conjecture as to the reason(s) ranging from:

Had his eye on NFL from day one
Felt fan support was lacking in terms of attendance
Felt fan support was lacking in terms of fundraising
Was promised more in way of facilities than occurred
Insufficent contract extension in terms of length
Insufficient contract extension in terms of HC and staff salaries
Nasty letters or comments from fans
BOT not adequately supporting program in view of future revenue bump from ACC
Chancellor and possibly AD were leaving

Was curious what your view is among these (or other reasons) since you don't feel the HC salary was the issue or principal issue.

it was a multiptude of factors not just one thing

We can still get him back after a year or two if we want. I guess that's an upside.

I am still very bitter but best of luck to Doug Marrone, time to move on. Whatever coach we hire next better damn well be the right hire because this is about as crucial of a hire as we have ever had. It will go a long way to deciding out future of becoming either bottom-feeding loser or top-25 competitor. Building on Marrone's success is key. I'm not even going to pretend I know who the best hire will be, but whoever it is will determine the long term success of this program.

Thanks to Doug for pulling this program back out of the depths of D1 hell. No more bottom 10 lists, no more losses to scrub teams, no more 150 yard days of offense, 2 bowl games in 4 years, record setting offense, a 3 year thrashing of WV, co-conference championship, and finally for making SU football exciting again. While many fans, myself included, were sometimes overly critical, it is the nature of bigtime football. Emotions run high but in the end he proved to all of us that he was more than capable of running this program. After dominating WV in the pinstripe bowl I was sure we were heading to the ACC in good hands, unfortunately now we are heading in with much uncertainty and well that sucks but I could never condemn him for moving on, whatever his reasons. The program is in better shape than when P got fired and without question when DM was hired. Let's just all hope we find someone capable of building on what Doug built. Doug may not have finished the job but he put some solid building blocks in place. Mac was the last person to do that for the next coach coming in and look at the success P had. The program isn't where Mac left it but is still better than any other coaching change SU had endured IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom