Marrone To The Jags... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Marrone To The Jags...

I'm no expert but I believe pensions are taxed differently than other kinds of income.

I work in NY and live in CT and, believe me, I am taxed on my NY income. Heavily.
Pretty sure that NYS pensions are not subject to NYS tax and that non-NYS pension retirement income (e.g. 401 k, 403 b, other pensions) are only taxed after they exceed $20k annually.

Mike Munchak was hired as the Titans HC after Jeff Fisher was fired. Munchak was the Titans OL coach and was never a coordinator.
good call.

not that it's relevant at all, not trying to say "yeah but" here but holy moly he put in a lot of time there before getting that gig

After Belichick was fired from the Cleveland Browns he joined Bill Parcells New England Patriots staff as the secondary coach. He went from secondary coach to HC of NYJ and was hired by New England.

You don't need to be a coordinator. San Francisco just hired the DL coach to be their next HC.

has any offensive line coach ever been hired as a head coach?

he's going to need to be a coordinator next year to get a HC job in 2016 at the earliest.

taking the 4 mil and running could've been a good long term financial move if he'd a) gotten a HC job this year or b) gotten an OC job this year and a HC job in 2016.

1 year as Jags OL coach + 1 year ?? OC + 4 Million from buffalo < 2 years as buffalo HC 8 million

the only way this turned out good for him if he thought he was going to get canned next year. but pegula offered him an extension, that wasn't likely
We have not heard Doug speak on this at all...Maybe he didn't want to be in Buffalo under whatever conditions that existed that he didn't like. It's his life, he made the choice, why are we all trying to label this as a mistake, bad decision, when all it it could have been was a decision that was his to make...and he made it and can live with how it turned out?

he's going to need to be a coordinator next year to get a HC job in 2016 at the earliest.

taking the 4 mil and running could've been a good long term financial move if he'd a) gotten a HC job this year or b) gotten an OC job this year and a HC job in 2016.

1 year as Jags OL coach + 1 year ?? OC + 4 Million from buffalo < 2 years as buffalo HC 8 million

the only way this turned out good for him if he thought he was going to get canned next year. but pegula offered him an extension, that wasn't likely
I believe Mike Munchak was promoted directly from OL coach to HC by the Titans? Did you only mean from outside the organization?

on the side of what, a million at most?

most coaches would rather be a head coach for 4 million than dwight schrute for 5.

Most coaches would rather be Dwight Schrute for 5 than for 1.

I'm not saying it's not a rather large fall and that he wouldn't want to be an NFL HC right now. I was responding to the guy who said "Anyone spinning this as a positive is kidding themselves" by pointing out it's not exactly a cushion-less fall.

Teacher? Some NY employees pensions are exempted from NY taxes by special laws not provided to the hard working private sector people of NY.
No. Factory worker. He worked pretty damn hard too. He has the back, neck, and shoulder surgeries to prove it.

Yep. Not good - except for the part where he is making an extra 4 mill on the side. If that's only worth 10% to you, then fine. Still not exactly the poor house.

If for some reason this affair impacts his ability to get another NFL HC gig, then yeah, it was an abject disaster. Unless he really does not want to be an NFL HC anymore.

I think he will get another NFL HC job someday, but we'll see.

But again, no one is arguing about the money. I'm not sure why you're stuck on that. And it's not just $4 million incrementally. He was going to earn $2.5-3 million for coaching the Bills in 2015. So he's really getting $1-1.5 million to walk away. And now he's getting a fraction of his old salary to be an OL coach.

He might very well end up in net-negative situation 3 years from now if he doesn't land another NFL HC gig. Even if he was fired after 2015 by Buffalo they still would have had to pay him for at least 1 of his 2 remaining years on his contract. So at that point he'd have made ~$6 million over 2015-16 by coaching/getting a termination settlement. Now there's a chance he'll be at less than $6 million if he's in an assistant role in 2016.

I don't really care about the money aspect, but it could easily turn out that he lost money when it's all said and done.

Last edited:
After Belichick was fired from the Cleveland Browns he joined Bill Parcells New England Patriots staff as the secondary coach. He went from secondary coach to HC of NYJ and was hired by New England.

You don't need to be a coordinator. San Francisco just hired the DL coach to be their next HC.
there was 5 years between the browns and the pats - he never coached any games with the jets.

i think it's unlikely that he'll get a HC job in 2016 but who knows. ever since the bills went with gailey, i'll never be surprised at anything

We have not heard Doug speak on this at all...Maybe he didn't want to be in Buffalo under whatever conditions that existed that he didn't like. It's his life, he made the choice, why are we all trying to label this as a mistake, bad decision, when all it it could have been was a decision that was his to make...and he made it and can live with how it turned out?
Exactly- ButtHurt from the whiny BillsFan contingent.

good call.

not that it's relevant at all, not trying to say "yeah but" here but holy moly he put in a lot of time there before getting that gig
I remember when a certain LB coach was promoted directly to HC in college. ;)

If for some reason this affair impacts his ability to get another NFL HC gig, then yeah, it was an abject disaster. Unless he really does not want to be an NFL HC anymore.

I think he will get another NFL HC job someday, but we'll see.

But again, no one is arguing about the money. I'm not sure why you're stuck on that. And it's not just $4 million incrementally. He was going to earn $2.5-3 million for coaching the Bills in 2015. So he's really getting $1-1.5 million to walk away. And now he's getting a fraction of his old salary to be an OL coach.

He might very well end up in net-negative situation 3 years from now if he doesn't land another NFL HC gig. Even if he was fired after 2015 by Buffalo they still would have had to pay him for at least 1 of his 2 remaining years on his contract. So at that point he'd have made ~$6 million over 2015-16 by coaching/getting a termination settlement. Now there's a chance he'll be at less than $6 million if he's in an assistant role in 2016.

I don't really care about the money aspect, but it could easily turn out that he lost money when it's all said and done.

You win.

jhardie13_2015-Jan-20.jpg

Statesman1 said:
Exactly- ButtHurt from the whiny BillsFan contingent.

I'm not a Bills fan.

Mike Munchak was hired as the Titans HC after Jeff Fisher was fired. Munchak was the Titans OL coach and was never a coordinator.

Munchak also had a history with the owner as he was a player then OL coach with the Titans/Oilers...for almost 20 years

So the owner knew that he was, ya know, LOYAL.

Threads about former head coach Marrone on the front page - 5
Threads about current head Coach Shafter on the front page - 0

Just thought that was interesting.

Marrone seems like a guy who doesn't want to be answerable to anyone. Has a vision for what he wants to do, and doesn't like hearing "no" or "we can't" from the support staff. From an uninformed outsider perspective, it seems plausible that he wanted out of Buffalo because he didn't think he had enough control. He saw a "better opportunity" in NY and went for it. When that didn't happen, his interviews with other teams might have been less than impressive because his heart wasn't in it. Saw that he would be getting into another situation where his personality would clash irreconcilably with management etc.

If that's the case then he might have decided not to be a HC again. Take a lesser role where he can control everything about what he is expected to do, and give himself time to regroup. It does seem like being a HC has eroded him. As an OL coach, he will have a simple job description - make the players he is given the best they can be.

if he becomes a HC again its a great move. If not then its a bad move if money is all that was in the equation. I think if he was fired by the Bills he would not have been a HC for many years. As it is he may or may not be one over the next 2-3 years. He was not lasting more than 1 year with the Bills the way they are running the team now anyway.

if he becomes a HC again its a great move. If not then its a bad move if money is all that was in the equation. I think if he was fired by the Bills he would not have been a HC for many years. As it is he may or may not be one over the next 2-3 years. He was not lasting more than 1 year with the Bills the way they are running the team now anyway.
"I think if he was fired by the Bills he would not have been a HC for many years. " disagree. plenty of fired coaches get another shot

"He was not lasting more than 1 year with the Bills the way they are running the team now anyway." disagree. marrone would've reported to pegula who was willing to give him an extension despite there being 2 years left. the way they're running the team now would've been to his benefit compared to him reporting to whaley

Threads about former head coach Marrone on the front page - 5
Threads about current head Coach Shafter on the front page - 0

Just thought that was interesting.

In a way though, every Marrone thread is at least subconsciously a thread about Shafer.

If we went 10-3 last year we would be looking at Marrone's travails with detached amusement.

Your obsession with hi-jacking every thread to trash the bills is a little weird.
[QUOTE=

Persistent maybe, hardly obsessed. Obsessive is worrying about and taking pleasure in the perceived downfall of a person most posters have not met let alone know personally- So a coach quit his job of your favorite team. Five threads later I'm being personally attacked for offering an opinion in defense of that same guy. Right- I'm the one with issues - thanks for the insight.

Mike Tice and Tony Sparano are 2 that come to mind

Not really. More and more position coaches are getting cracks at head coaching jobs without being a coordinator. Andy Reid was never an offensive coordinator he went from QB coach to head coach. Raheem Morris went from secondary coach to head coach. Tice and Sparano as I mentioned above. SF just hired a position coach as their head coach. Herm Edwards was a secondary coach who jumped to head coach. I'm, sure there are more examples but those are off the top of my head.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom