Marrone To The Jags... | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Marrone To The Jags...

How much can we bet on this? Let's make it count.

Never is a long time

Setback for him, obviously thought he had a better than not chance with the Jets.

Well we went 3-9 this year, so...

He was also the HC to be for the Jets.

Again - he sold himself to this fanbase as a guy who knew exactly what he was getting into, then apparently didn't.

And how much of that was coaching-related versus talent? Is there a way to decipher?

He sold himself to this fanbase? Everything these guys say is coachspeak. People need to stop hanging their hats on what they say as the truth.

It's also laughable to see the excuses made for the same individual.

Again, I don't hate the guy - he did what he thought was best in every situation.

But he also isn't the savior that so many of you portray him to be.

GREAT job here, anyone who disputes that is clueless. He really did save the program.

Good job at Buffalo.

I'm not sure anyone is going to argue that $4 million in and of itself is "negative".

But I'd say that this thing played out about as "negatively" as he could have imagined. He willingly left one of the most coveted 32 jobs in his profession, was not hired for any of the six open positions available to him, and has taken a position coaching role in arguably one of the five worst franchises in the game.

If you want to call that 90% negative/10% positive then be my guest.

The Pegulas have to be having a good laugh. I mean, it's never fun to pay a person $4M to do nothing, but that was something they inherited, not something they created. So given that it was going to happen anyway, the aftermath from their perspective has to be worth a bottle or two of champagne.

Maybe Hackett can still get the Jags OC job.

When does S exton get some blame for this situation? Hard to believe that St. Doug made all these moves without his agent's advice. If he was the one planting stories about Marrone to the Jets, he's done an equally good job of keeping his name out of this mess. I'm assuming the board filters have helped to keep his name off here.

If Al Davis were still alive then FHCDM would be the HC of the R-r-r-raiders.

And how much of that was coaching-related versus talent? Is there a way to decipher?

He sold himself to this fanbase? Everything these guys say is coachspeak. People need to stop hanging their hats on what they say as the truth.

His players - remember the opening presser and his recruiting ties? Yeah, binders, dream job, Syracuse, etc...

GREAT job here, anyone who disputes that is clueless. He really did save the program.

Good job at Buffalo.

You think he saved the program? Really?

Again - give the guy credit, he did do a good job at Syracuse. I don't believe he did a great job. And we can disagree on that, that's fine. Hell, I might be in the minority. That's fine too. But that's why there are discussion boards, right?

He made two bowls and failed to make a bowl twice - including a five-game losing streak to end the year. (Please save the injury excuses - if you give the injury excuses to Marrone you certainly have to give them to Shafer, who lost WAY more firepower than Marrone did)

He was a .500 coach at Syracuse - much, much better than Greg Robinson - but just about on par to where the program was when Pasqualoni was finishing out his tenure. In my opinon, an average to above average head coach would have had similar success - I really do. He did hire a great defensive coordinator that helped win a lot of those games, as he did in Buffalo, so kudos there.

His perception is altered due to GRob being so incredibly bad at what he did. And maybe I am not taking that enough into account when considering the job Marrone did. But I also think GRob was a decent recruiter, and brought in some decently talented guys. All they needed was some type of plan, at least in my opinion.

He came in and took a terrible team and made them respectable. Meanwhile, administration started to finally support football - and that's probably the biggest thing he did, was brought in an attitude that football is important. That's admirable, but doesn't make his coaching "great", in my opinion.

Last edited:

Good job at Buffalo.

I agree with this. The Bills fan in me is much more upset about Marrone than the SU fan. And it's the Bills fan in me that smiles when he drops from NFL HC to NFL OL Coach.

I think I would have taken more time off with the $4M than jumping into whatever role I could land in. Feels like he's starting over.

Such hate for the man on here. Good lord, it's not like he put our program in a worse position.

He clearly took a gamble and lost out... for now. He is HC-in-waiting in Jax, mark it down.

The Bills fans on here are unreal. It's funny to see how much animosity they have towards a guy that they disliked while he was "their" HC... LOL.
interim coaches dont count.

you guys are all out there looking for position coaches to HC, whats the list of interim to HC the following year??

interim coaches dont count.

you guys are all out there looking for position coaches to HC, whats the list of interim to HC the following year??

Jim Tomsula just pulled off the 'ol line coach to HC

Jim Tomsula just pulled off the 'ol line coach to HC
good for him.

the list of interim to HC the following year.

im sure somebody did it...

within a year or 2 he will become coach of the jags and bring in the crazy old fox former liverpool HS.cuse ast and blake bortles coach george o 'leary as OC

Good job at Buffalo.
Careful...you're treading dangerously close to making sense and therefore being banished to the Fan Club-

Good job at Buffalo.

Maybe he saved the program, but you'd think if he did we wouldn't be at 3 wins the season after he left. Saving usually entails some degree of marginal success in the wake of a departure. I guess Shafer is that bad and the cupboard is that bare.

Of course if the cupboard is bare...

You think he saved the program? Really?

Again - give the guy credit, he did do a good job at Syracuse. I don't believe he did a great job. And we can disagree on that, that's fine. Hell, I might be in the minority. That's fine too. But that's why there are discussion boards, right?

He made two bowls and failed to make a bowl twice - including a five-game losing streak to end the year. (Please save the injury excuses - if you give the injury excuses to Marrone you certainly have to give them to Shafer, who lost WAY more firepower than Marrone did)

He was a .500 coach at Syracuse - much, much better than Greg Robinson - but just about on par to where the program was when Pasqualoni was finishing out his tenure. In my opinon, an average to above average head coach would have had similar success - I really do. He did hire a great defensive coordinator that helped win a lot of those games, as he did in Buffalo, so kudos there.

His perception is altered due to GRob being so incredibly bad at what he did. And maybe I am not taking that enough into account when considering the job Marrone did. But I also think GRob was a decent recruiter, and brought in some decently talented guys. All they needed was some type of plan, at least in my opinion.

He came in and took a terrible team and made them respectable. Meanwhile, administration started to finally support football - and that's probably the biggest thing he did, was brought in an attitude that football is important. That's admirable, but doesn't make his coaching "great", in my opinion.

You are ignoring the depths to which Robinson drove the program. Total system failure. All aspects, recruiting, position coaching, game planning, game management, strength and conditioning, program management and administration. The program was non competitive across the board, all aspects, there wasn't one segment of the program cycle that they did well.

This wasn't a tweak here, tweak there, it was a total gut and rebuild from the foundation.

You are ignoring the depths to which Robinson drove the program. Total system failure. All aspects, recruiting, position coaching, game planning, game management, strength and conditioning, program management and administration. The program was non competitive across the board, all aspects, there wasn't one segment of the program cycle that they did well.

This wasn't a tweak here, tweak there, it was a total gut and rebuild from the foundation.

He did a good job. If he saved the program he could've handed the keys off to the next guy and the program chugs along. We're 3-9 with no identity and the OC that was rumored to stay is on the sidewalk somewhere now.

Maybe he saved the program, but you'd think if he did we wouldn't be at 3 wins the season after he left. Saving usually entails some degree of marginal success in the wake of a departure. I guess Shafer is that bad and the cupboard is that bare.

Of course if the cupboard is bare...

There were so choices made on offense here that were stupid and contributed greatly to the offense falling off that table, and that isn't hindsight. The offense was going to step back regardless of who was here, the degree was by choice.

Add that to going through 4 QB's and 10 OL, that might have something to do with it.

GoSU96 said:
You are ignoring the depths to which Robinson drove the program. Total system failure. All aspects, recruiting, position coaching, game planning, game management, strength and conditioning, program management and administration. The program was non competitive across the board, all aspects, there wasn't one segment of the program cycle that they did well. This wasn't a tweak here, tweak there, it was a total gut and rebuild from the foundation.

That's so far over the top it's gotten funny. If all of that was as bad as you like to claim, we don't beat a ND, we don't beat a Lville AND we don't get to a bowl in Marrones 2nd season. He was a bad HC but you go over the top with some of this stuff.

yep.

although...past performance is no guarantee of future results...it is a pretty good indicator of what to expect.

and since the 1990s i have taken a stand on millions of positions and scenarios on here...and have used 1 principal or rule when sticking my neck out there and making a statement for all to take shots at.

and more often than not...i am correct.

and that is the Rule of Common Sense.

doug marrone will NEVER be a NFL HC EVER AGAIN.
The one rule I use is to avoid saying never.

He sold himself as being the opposite though - a special coach with true ties, loyalty & love of his alma mater, who had structured his life hoping to achieve his ultimate goal - to be the head coach at SU. If he had appealed to the fans, program as wanting to achieve his first head coaching goal bringing SU back to basic relevancy, I truly believe the reactions would be totally different and people would be sad not mad when he left and cheering his NFL ambitions. He sold himself to fans as one thing and it was he alone who changed those perceptions. I do think he has stopped people now from hanging their hats that what he's saying is the truth, regardless what he says.

He did a good job. If he saved the program he could've handed the keys off to the next guy and the program chugs along. We're 3-9 with no identity and the OC that was rumored to stay is on the sidewalk somewhere now.

You must assume that the car drives itself regardless of who has the keys. Pretty obvious that ain't the case.

That's so far over the top it's gotten funny. If all of that was as bad as you like to claim, we don't beat a ND, we don't beat a Lville AND we don't get to a bowl in Marrones 2nd season. He was a bad HC but you go over the top with some of this stuff.

Baloney. Every measure says it was that bad. There wasn't one aspect of the program that wasn't worst in breed when Robinson got canned. Add to that the conditions of the facilities and the lack of institutional support.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom