Marrone To The Jags... | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Marrone To The Jags...

He sold himself as being the opposite though - a special coach with true ties, loyalty & love of his alma mater, who had structured his life hoping to achieve his ultimate goal - to be the head coach at SU. If he had appealed to the fans, program as wanting to achieve his first head coaching goal bringing SU back to relevancy, I truly believe the reactions would be totally different and people would be sad not mad when he left and cheering his NFL ambitions. He sold himself to fans as one thing and it was he alone who changed those perceptions. I do think he has stopped people now from hanging their hats that what he's saying is the truth regardless what he says.

It's also possible that he was completely sincere when he came here and for very good reasons changed his outlook.

In fact that's actually what happened.

You are ignoring the depths to which Robinson drove the program. Total system failure. All aspects, recruiting, position coaching, game planning, game management, strength and conditioning, program management and administration. The program was non competitive across the board, all aspects, there wasn't one segment of the program cycle that they did well.

This wasn't a tweak here, tweak there, it was a total gut and rebuild from the foundation.
Personally, I think DM was an good HC at SU and had exceptional abilities to evaluate talent and to coach it up. The rest - not so much.

That said, if the program was that bad off then it had nowhere to go but up and many coaches could have done the same job or even better. We will never know.

There were so choices made on offense here that were stupid and contributed greatly to the offense falling off that table, and that isn't hindsight. The offense was going to step back regardless of who was here, the degree was by choice.

Add that to going through 4 QB's and 10 OL, that might have something to do with it.

I get it. But here's what I struggle with... this horrific program that Marrone inherited won 3 FBS games the year before he started. Then in Marrone's first year he won 3 FBS games. In year two he won 6 FBS games. Then 4 FBS wins in year three, and finally 7 in his last year.

I mean, that's progression. Did he "save" the program? He definitely saved himself.

Personally, I think DM was an good HC at SU and had exceptional abilities to evaluate talent and to coach it up. The rest - not so much.

That said, if the program was that bad off then it had nowhere to go but up and many coaches could have done the same job or even better. We will never know.
No, the program can always maintain status quo- if it could only go up as you suggest then any coach would have been able to go along for the ride.

He did a good job. If he saved the program he could've handed the keys off to the next guy and the program chugs along. We're 3-9 with no identity and the OC that was rumored to stay is on the sidewalk somewhere now.
You are forgetting this debacle is 2 yrs removed from St. Doug. Year 1 post St. Doug we are winning the Texas Bowl. What exactly is the statute of limitations in your mind?

GoSU96 said:
Baloney. Every measure says it was that bad. There wasn't one aspect of the program that wasn't worst in breed when Robinson got canned. Add to that the conditions of the facilities and the lack of institutional support.

Sure.

interim coaches dont count.

you guys are all out there looking for position coaches to HC, whats the list of interim to HC the following year??

I gave the modern era list of position coaches to head coaches. When it comes to interim coach to head coach I think the modern era list in that regard is Mike Tice and Jason Garrett. Without looking it up I can't think of any others who went from interim coach and kept the job after the season ended

He sold himself as being the opposite though - a special coach with true ties, loyalty & love of his alma mater, who had structured his life hoping to achieve his ultimate goal - to be the head coach at SU. If he had appealed to the fans, program as wanting to achieve his first head coaching goal bringing SU back to relevancy, I truly believe the reactions would be totally different and people would be sad not mad when he left and cheering his NFL ambitions. He sold himself to fans as one thing and it was he alone who changed those perceptions. I do think he has stopped people now from hanging their hats that what he's saying is the truth regardless what he says.

This job turned out to be WAYYYYY different than what he signed up for. I know most people won't believe that, but that is the case.

He's a Jag alright. Jagoff!

tumblr_inline_nequ3aa7dY1rz8wtu.gif

It's also possible that he was completely sincere when he came here and for very good reasons changed his outlook.

In fact that's actually what happened.

I sense a theme in his head coaching career. Maybe he wanted to go back to being an OL coach all along.

Rocco said:
Elaborate.

In what? That the post was over the top and funny?

In what? That the post was over the top and funny?

Elaborate how it was "over the top and funny"... Just curious as hear what you think on this one.

Rocco said:
This job turned out to be WAYYYYY different than what he signed up for. I know most people won't believe that, but that is the case.

Turned out to be different than what he expected, or turned out that his expectations weren't in line with reality?

Some of the things that have been shared here that supposedly turned Marrone off were things that anyone here could have told him about in the winter of 2008-09.

Scooch said:
Turned out to be different than what he expected, or turned out that his expectations weren't in line with reality? Some of the things that have been shared here that supposedly turned Marrone off were things that anyone here could have told him about in the winter of 2008-09.

Every time I read one of these I think that Marrone must have thought he was getting the job that Pasqualoni got in 1991.

I don't think it was too hard to figure out the challenges that SU faced in 2009, even without the GRob mess.

He's actually laughing at all of us all the way to the bank as he can now afford as many premium bologna sandwiches as he wants whenever...

Chip said:
Every time I read one of these I think that Marrone must have thought he was getting the job that Pasqualoni got in 1991. I don't think it was too hard to figure out the challenges that SU faced in 2009, even without the GRob mess.

But how could he have known that he would face fundraising challenges, stingy pay for assistants, underdeveloped facilities, or lukewarm fan support?!

No one knew about any of these things*!!!

(*note: everyone knew about these things)

I gave the modern era list of position coaches to head coaches. When it comes to interim coach to head coach I think the modern era list in that regard is Mike Tice and Jason Garrett. Without looking it up I can't think of any others who went from interim coach and kept the job after the season ended
So basically, just tice.

Bum's boy (who all you bills fans should know well) was fired by jerr-uh to make room for garrett who was going to get a HC job if this wasn't done.

Doug is not the hot coordinator.

Doug is not unknown.

Doug is not an offensive genius.

Hell, Doug is not even a play caller.

Doug is not a winner.

Doug is done.

Doug is a quitter.

Scooch said:
But how could he have known that he would face fundraising challenges, stingy pay for assistants, underdeveloped facilities, or lukewarm fan support?! No one knew about any of these things*!!! (*note: everyone knew about these things)

Not to mention the crappy league with crappy payouts that we were stuck in.

After he took the job, maybe he looked at the schedule, saw Penn State and figured all was well.

You are forgetting this debacle is 2 yrs removed from St. Doug. Year 1 post St. Doug we are winning the Texas Bowl. What exactly is the statute of limitations in your mind?

Let's see...he left late, took our OC after our AD apparently was assured he was staying, and apparently not a ton of talent in the pipeline. His recruits are upperclassman now

Don't see how this is saving the program.

You must assume that the car drives itself regardless of who has the keys. Pretty obvious that ain't the case.

That has nothing to do with football. The program isn't much better than he found it. Heck, DM inherited an NFL QB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom