marrone will be here for the next 15-20 yrs | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

marrone will be here for the next 15-20 yrs

Marrone... as long as he doesn't become demonically possessed by the ghost of GROB... will be a fixture on the SU sidelines.

Just saying:

Next 5 year contract at SU = $5-$7.5 million

Next 5 year contract in NFL = $10-$15 million

As we mature and move on with life sometimes our priorities change. I'd love to have Marrone stay and be successful at Syracuse but if the Giants or Jets call in 5 to 7 years would he want a new challenge? What age will his kids be. There are a plethora of things that could change in his life from now to then so I don't even think he knows for sure what the future will bring. I think he loves and wants to stay in Syracuse but life happens so we'll see in time.

just listeing to sirius radio and how mark richt and a few other coaches are on the hot seat and taking enormous pressure from the fan base. Just reminds me about Marrone having a long tenure here and there might be a 4 or 5 win season sprinkled in there but it will be intresting to see how are fan base reacts next year because I believe next year it will be top 2 in the Big East or bust in year 4. Either way Marrone is on his way to being a coach that everyone will know and love forever, and will be that coach that brought the tradition of winning back to cuse football.

Scary.

marrone to the pros in 5 yrs --he will win here and get disgusted with the lack of supoprt an fan base--but his expertise will not go unnoticed

I do think the lack of fans in the Dome would be the only thing that would make him decide not to stay. I think given the quick turnaround last year and first winning season in forever, I think he was suprised and disappointed in the large # of empty seats against Wake.

Marrone reminds me a great deal of a young Frank Beamer taking over a perennial losing program with great emphasis on recruiting in-state talent.

I perceive that in the eyes of many here he has already earned JB like status. Or, the perception is that it is a certainty that he will.

I don't understand that myself. I realize that people are excited about Marrone, but JB is pretty much one of a kind, and if people are envisioning Marrone as being even somewhat similar to JB in terms of success/longevity/importance to the University I think they're setting themselves up for enormous disappointments. Its like on this board we have our very own Jordan-Lebron comparison going on - JB (Jordan) is the one with all the achievements, and Marrone (Lebron) doesn't have anywhere near the achievements but does have some hype and followers.

Putting aside that I think there are still major questions about how successful Marrone will be as the Syracuse coach short term, I think these kinds of projections are really unfair to Marrone. He's a better coach than GRob - that's true. Can he be a better coach than Pasqualoni? Can he be a better coach than Coach Mac? Let's see if he shakes out to those levels first before we start comparing him to JB.

Marrone... as long as he doesn't become demonically possessed by the ghost of GROB... will be a fixture on the SU sidelines.
I hope he becomes a Tom Landry type fixture with a better ending. Fedora and all :),

Here's a list of all of the current coaches that have lasted for a decade*:

Paterno - Penn State (1966)
Beamer - Va. Tech (1987)
Blakeney - Troy (1991)
Hill - Fresno St. (1997)
Brown - Texas (1998)
Stoops - Oklahoma (1999)
Ferrentz - Iowa (1999)
Patterson - TCU (2000)
Grobe - Wake Forest (2001)
Pinkel - Missouri (2001)
Richt - Georgia (2001)
Schiano - Rutgers (2001)
Schnellenberger - Fla. Atlantic (2001)

* for Snyder at Kansas State and Ault at Nevada, who had 10+ year tenures, then left and came back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_coaches

he's the next JB.

When the state announces they are going to help build the largest football stadium in the country at the State Fairgrounds, and NBC strikes an exclusive TV deal for an ACC-BigEast superconference, then the JB analogy might be more fitting. Otherwise this is not a fair comparison.

Beamer - Va. Tech (1987)
Blakeney - Troy (1991)
Hill - Fresno St. (1997)
Brown - Texas (1998)
Stoops - Oklahoma (1999)
Ferrentz - Iowa (1999)
Patterson - TCU (2000)
Pinkel - Missouri (2001)
Richt - Georgia (2001)

* for Snyder at Kansas State and Ault at Nevada, who had 10+ year tenures, then left and came back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_coaches

Schiano?

they have 5 million dollar houses in syracuse?

Weitsman's house is currently assessed for $6.1 million. When he's finished with the house, it will easily be assessed at $10 mil. Although, rumors are that he's put $14 mil into it. Dude better plan on dying in that house.

Beamer - Va. Tech (1987)
Blakeney - Troy (1991)
Hill - Fresno St. (1997)
Brown - Texas (1998)
Stoops - Oklahoma (1999)
Ferrentz - Iowa (1999)
Patterson - TCU (2000)
Pinkel - Missouri (2001)
Richt - Georgia (2001)

Pffft Richt! Almost feel bad for UGA fans.

I don't think that you do the things Marrone did if you don't intend to be around a while. I can't speak for Doug, and I won't assume that he's going to stay forever and ever and ever. But, I do believe that he wants to be here for the long haul. He's not the type to stay around until SU becomes his stepping stone, he seems to want to be remembered for what he will do here. He bleeds orange, that has come across every time I've heard him speak and in the few times I've spoken to him. If all goes well, Doug will run our program and be winning at SU for a long time.

As we mature and move on with life sometimes our priorities change. I'd love to have Marrone stay and be successful at Syracuse but if the Giants or Jets call in 5 to 7 years would he want a new challenge? What age will his kids be. There are a plethora of things that could change in his life from now to then so I don't even think he knows for sure what the future will bring. I think he loves and wants to stay in Syracuse but life happens so we'll see in time.
they will come calling before 5-7 yrs more likely in 3yrs

Wait, isn't Maryland the "dream job" of every former Syracuse player?
Why is it so hard to believe that a guy that grew up 90 miles away from a school, has a dream of coaching that school, even if circumstances had him play at a different school?

Why is it so hard to believe that a guy that grew up 90 miles away from a school, has a dream of coaching that school, even if circumstances had him play at a different school?

Dude, stop. Maryland? Hahaha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom