Marrone's poor game management skills | Syracusefan.com

Marrone's poor game management skills

orangenirvana

Hall of Fame
During Marrone's rookie season in 2009, he showed us on quite a few occasions how raw he was with regard to game management and how much improvement he needed to make. I chalked it up as rookie mistakes and he would learn from them and become better the more experience he acquired.

My concern now is that he's not learning from his mistakes...possibly because he's not aware of them.

For example - is there anyone on the staff to tell him that calling a timeout inside your opponent's 15 immediately after a QB scramble with (approx) 1:30 left in the half and :30 on the play clock is a horrible decision? Or is he only focused on his players' mistakes?

During Marrone's rookie season in 2009, he showed us on quite a few occasions how raw he was with regard to game management and how much improvement he needed to make. I chalked it up as rookie mistakes and he would learn from them and become better the more experience he acquired.

My concern now is that he's not learning from his mistakes...possibly because he's not aware of them.

For example - is there anyone on the staff to tell him that calling a timeout inside your opponent's 15 immediately after a QB scramble with (approx) 1:30 left in the half and :30 on the play clock is a horrible decision? Or is he only focused on his players' mistakes?

In that scneario , any coach should be thinking how do I get 7, but worst case scenario, how do I get 3 and not give usf the ball back or at least make them use their time outs. It was really really bad and it def impacted the game later on. End of the first half of the WVU game, end of the first half of the UW game last year as well.. clock management at the end of the half has been really bad

maybe we should be asking why would a coach want to call a TO in that situation and not just look at it from the side of why he should not..

Maybe USF changed defenses and Marrone didn't like what he saw. With 2nd and 7 from the 11, Marrone wanted to have 2 solid shots at the end zone before settling for a FG. Taking full advantage of a red zone posession should always be the first priority.

It would have been much better if Nassib threw a pick in the end zone. Because it would give people more to complain about.

Maybe USF changed defenses and Marrone didn't like what he saw. With 2nd and 7 from the 11, Marrone wanted to have 2 solid shots at the end zone before settling for a FG. Taking full advantage of a red zone posession should always be the first priority.

It would have been much better if Nassib threw a pick in the end zone. Because it would give people more to complain about.

USF changed defenses? The timeout was called from the sideline the moment Nassib went down. It was a stop the clock timeout. And it made no sense. I would bet all I have that Marrone isn't saying to himself, if I could do it all over again I'd do it the same way. Even if he says it out loud. Coaches like momentum going into halftime when they are trailing the entire half.

a pick in the end zone without calling a timeout would've probably resulted in the exact same point difference going into the half.

once you call the timeout, they could've ran the ball on 2nd and 7 - you have plenty of time then.

we rarely use timeouts to stop the clock correctly - that's what i prefer TOs to be used for. you can't control time as well as you can control your plays and personnel.

We could have run up the middle on 2nd and 7, and 3rd and 7, and played for a FG. It would have used all the clock, or forced USF to use up their TO's.

Instead of bitching about a timeout ... people should be bitching about this:

USF drive start at 01:21.

1-10 USF 19 DANIELS, B.J. rush up middle for 3 yards to the USF22 (DIABATE, Siriki;FISHER, Olando).

2-7 USF 22 DANIELS, B.J. sideline pass complete to LANDI, Evan for 16 yards to the USF38, 1ST DOWN USF (SCOTT, Kevyn).

1-10 USF 38 DANIELS, B.J. middle pass incomplete to LANDI, Evan.

2-10 USF 38 DANIELS, B.J. sideline pass complete to WELCH, Deonte for 9 yards to the USF47.

3-1 USF 47 MURRAY, Demetri rush up middle for 13 yards to the SYR40, 1ST DOWN USF (THOMAS, Phillip).

1-10 SYR 40 TEAM pass incomplete.

2-10 SYR 40 DANIELS, B.J. rush for 1 yard to the SYR39 (JONES, Chandler).

3-9 SYR 39 Timeout USF, clock 00:16.

3-9 SYR 39 DANIELS, B.J. rush for 10 yards to the SYR29, 1ST DOWN USF.

1-10 SYR 29 DANIELS, B.J. deep pass incomplete to MARC, Victor.
2-10 SYR 29 Timeout Syracuse, clock 00:01.

2-10 SYR 29 BONANI, Maikon field goal attempt from 46 GOOD, clock 00:00.

I know I'm in the minority considering how much everybody hates the offense, but I think this is his biggest weakness (I think his offense will look much different once he gets players that fit his system).

It hasn't really cost us a game yet (that I remember), but it did cost us 3 points in the USF game and if he continues, he will eventually cost us a game with his game mangement. As I've always said, these coaches would be wise to hire a time/clock management guru who can help them in these situations. I would gladly do it for free if he asks. His TO at the end of the first half in the USF game was abysmal clock management.

also if you're going to throw after that timeout, they could've done the rollout toss to provo. that burns at least a minute off the clock

I know I'm in the minority considering how much everybody hates the offense, but I think this is his biggest weakness (I think his offense will look much different once he gets players that fit his system).

It hasn't really cost us a game yet (that I remember), but it did cost us 3 points in the USF game and if he continues, he will eventually cost us a game with his game mangement. As I've always said, these coaches would be wise to hire a time/clock management guru who can help them in these situations. I would gladly do it for free if he asks. His TO at the end of the first half in the USF game was abysmal clock management.
no one will ever hire a time mgmt guru because you're telling the world "me no think so good on feet"

no one will ever hire a time mgmt guru because you're telling the world "me no think so good on feet"

I have no doubt you are right. Not sure I've ever seen a coach in a post-game presser say he screwed up a time mgmt issue. The Toledo coach committed a fireable offense in the Northern Illinois game and he still thought he did the right thing. Damn meatheads

I have no doubt you are right. Not sure I've ever seen a coach in a post-game presser say he screwed up a time mgmt issue. The Toledo coach committed a fireable offense in the Northern Illinois game and he still thought he did the right thing. Damn meatheads
they should just stick a secret 24 style earpiece in marrone's ear with boeheim telling him what to do. no one needs to know about it.

In that scneario , any coach should be thinking how do I get 7, but worst case scenario, how do I get 3 and not give usf the ball back or at least make them use their time outs. It was really really bad and it def impacted the game later on. End of the first half of the WVU game, end of the first half of the UW game last year as well.. clock management at the end of the half has been really bad

End of first half vs. UConn in 2009. Not sure why I remember that. It drove me nuts then, but I told myself then "Ok, he's a first-year coach, he'll get better." Oops.

If you don't like what you see from the defense and need a timeout, you call T.O. when the play clock winds down to :02.

I could almost hear Skip Holtz yell across the field "Thanks for the free timeout, Doug!"

1-10 USF 19 DANIELS, B.J. rush up middle for 3 yards to the USF22 (DIABATE, Siriki;FISHER, Olando).

Um you do realize that the FG would have NEVER happened without Marrone's TO? Time would have ran out well before that. The D shouldn't have even had to play. There is no bad D without the bad time management.

Yeah, remember the game in his first year, northwestern I think, where we used a time out after a first down then didn't have one to set up the game-winning FG and had to rush the FG unit on the field after a running play to get us in the middle of the field? All we needed to do was line up under center while the clock was stopped, run the ball then call the time out.

Instead he said they "worked on that all week in practice" and everyone around here bought it. Time management is a major, MAJOR issue with Marrone. And believe me, I like the guy. I'm nowhere near saying fire him, but his time management is god awful. Embarrassing almost.

The staff needs to play some Playstation Madden learn how to work the clock down...or maybe Tecmo Bowl, where the only way to win the game is have the ball last since you can't tackle Bo Jackson and he can't tackle your Kansas City guy.

There are literally millions upon millions of children out there who can better manage the clock at the end of halves and games than our coaching staff, because they've trained to do it on video games. AND the clock doesn't stop on first downs

That TO with 1:30 was maybe the dumbest, most amateur coaching "reaction" I've seen, cost the team 3 points, and completely switched momentum. All something directly attributable to Coaching.

I'm a huge Marrone supporter but to not admit that mistake tells me something, also (I haven't seen him address the issue so don't know if has/hasn't).

USF's kicker was excellent, by the way. He ought to be playing on sundays soon enough.

In marrone's defense, it usually takes us 2 minutes to go 15 yards.

We could have run up the middle on 2nd and 7, and 3rd and 7, and played for a FG. It would have used all the clock, or forced USF to use up their TO's.

2-7 USF 22 DANIELS, B.J. sideline pass complete to LANDI, Evan for 16 yards to the USF38, 1ST DOWN USF (SCOTT, Kevyn).

1-10 USF 38 DANIELS, B.J. middle pass incomplete to LANDI, Evan.

2-10 USF 38 DANIELS, B.J. sideline pass complete to WELCH, Deonte for 9 yards to the USF47.

3-1 USF 47 MURRAY, Demetri rush up middle for 13 yards to the SYR40, 1ST DOWN USF (THOMAS, Phillip).

1-10 SYR 40 TEAM pass incomplete.

2-10 SYR 40 DANIELS, B.J. rush for 1 yard to the SYR39 (JONES, Chandler).

3-9 SYR 39 Timeout USF, clock 00:16.

3-9 SYR 39 DANIELS, B.J. rush for 10 yards to the SYR29, 1ST DOWN USF.

1-10 SYR 29 DANIELS, B.J. deep pass incomplete to MARC, Victor.
2-10 SYR 29 Timeout Syracuse, clock 00:01.

2-10 SYR 29 BONANI, Maikon field goal attempt from 46 GOOD, clock 00:00.

So if people complain about that defensive series, does that mean they're just complaining about Shafer or the players but not Marrone?

Why put your defense in that situation? Not like you've been stopping them all half.

The staff needs to play some Playstation Madden learn how to work the clock down...or maybe Tecmo Bowl, where the only way to win the game is have the ball last since you can't tackle Bo Jackson and he can't tackle your Kansas City guy.

There are literally millions upon millions of children out there who can better manage the clock at the end of halves and games than our coaching staff, because they've trained to do it on video games. AND the clock doesn't stop on first downs

That TO with 1:30 was maybe the dumbest, most amateur coaching "reaction" I've seen, cost the team 3 points, and completely switched momentum. All something directly attributable to Coaching.

I'm a huge Marrone supporter but to not admit that mistake tells me something, also (I haven't seen him address the issue so don't know if has/hasn't).
This post for a first post just dripped with balls.

That's a compliment.

Time management is a major, MAJOR issue with Marrone. And believe me, I like the guy. I'm nowhere near saying fire him, but his time management is god awful. Embarrassing almost.

This is where I am. Like the guy, think he's the right fit here, HATE his time management

USF's kicker was excellent, by the way. He ought to be playing on sundays soon enough.

He wasnt so excellent when he missed a 29 yarder to beat the 'Girls last weekend on the last play of regulation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom