Marrone's poor game management skills | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Marrone's poor game management skills

He wasnt so excellent when he missed a 29 yarder to beat the 'Girls last weekend on the last play of regulation.
The FGs he made against us were drilled. He looked the part Friday.

I have been screaming about Marrone's issue with timeouts and clock management since the beginning of the year and has others have pointed out became concerned by it in his first year (See the NW game) He seems to have no clue about the universal rules regarding clock management (dont leave time for your opponent at the end of the half) or when to actually call a timeout or to let the clock go. WVU game was another prime example what was he doing throwing on third down when it was clear we needed to just run the clock out. He seems to go against all normal logic for clock management is mind boggling.

During Marrone's rookie season in 2009, he showed us on quite a few occasions how raw he was with regard to game management and how much improvement he needed to make. I chalked it up as rookie mistakes and he would learn from them and become better the more experience he acquired.

My concern now is that he's not learning from his mistakes...possibly because he's not aware of them.

For example - is there anyone on the staff to tell him that calling a timeout inside your opponent's 15 immediately after a QB scramble with (approx) 1:30 left in the half and :30 on the play clock is a horrible decision? Or is he only focused on his players' mistakes?

So he doesn't run the right offense. He doesn't call plays well. He doesn't manage the game well. I gather some feel that he doesn't recruit well.

they should just stick a secret 24 style earpiece in marrone's ear with boeheim telling him what to do. no one needs to know about it.

Gosh for years my friends have been telling me that JB is the worst game coach of any major college BB coach and has been for years.

Ay yi yi.

Gosh for years my friends have been telling me that JB is the worst game coach of any major college BB coach and has been for years.

Ay yi yi.
i love jb and think he's brilliant. i'm hurt that i'm not in that circle of friends

I have been screaming about Marrone's issue with timeouts and clock management since the beginning of the year and has others have pointed out became concerned by it in his first year (See the NW game) He seems to have no clue about the universal rules regarding clock management (dont leave time for your opponent at the end of the half) or when to actually call a timeout or to let the clock go. WVU game was another prime example what was he doing throwing on third down when it was clear we needed to just run the clock out. He seems to go against all normal logic for clock management is mind boggling.

He screwed up end of half vs Toledo and Louisville as well. I think RU too.

So he doesn't run the right offense. He doesn't call plays well. He doesn't manage the game well. I gather some feel that he doesn't recruit well.

I've heard he's a bad speller, a poor driver and even the family dog doesn't like him...

i love jb and think he's brilliant. i'm hurt that i'm not in that circle of friends

I'm sure that my friends would be pleased to have you join them or help me defend JB.

funny how one coach calls the TOs because he wants time to work with , instead of worrying about leaving time for the other team to not work with.. had our D made plays we could have gotten the ball back with time as well to score again...

funny how one coach calls the TOs because he wants time to work with , instead of worrying about leaving time for the other team to not work with.. had our D made plays we could have gotten the ball back with time as well to score again...

ugh. This is like MCW taking a shot before half instead of holding for last shot. I don't understand how just about everyone can understand it in BBall but don't get it in FB.

That would make Marrone a pretty big gambler all of the sudden. Why do I feel like you spent a lot of time thinking up a scenario and finally came up with it?

Ay yi yi.

Your friends are pretty dumb.

ugh. This is like MCW taking a shot before half instead of holding for last shot. I don't understand how just about everyone can understand it in BBall but don't get it in FB.

Not to mention that most smart coaches, if upper's theory was right, would want to stop the clock when they can't control it, not when they can. 2 minute drill you come up to the line on 2nd down and call a play. Save those timeouts for when USF has the ball so they can't run the clock out. Which is exactly how Marrone extended the Wake game.

Maybe. But one is the Director of College Scouting for an NBA team and one is a head coach for a well-known college team.

Oh well.

Touché but what does this have to do with Marrone being a meathead? Dude is not sharp on game day when it comes to stuff like this and I think there have been several instances of this

Maybe. But one is the Director of College Scouting for an NBA team and one is a head coach for a well-known college team.

Oh well.
if you don't think boeheim is an idiot, does that mean you think you know more than a director of college scouting or a head coach?

having a little fun here but i presume that you think boeheim is good which would mean that you think these experts are mistaken

if you don't think boeheim is an idiot, does that mean you think you know more than a director of college scouting or a head coach?

having a little fun here but i presume that you think boeheim is good which would mean that you think these experts are mistaken

Orange Pa pretty much thinks everybody is a good coach and that talent is the only determining factor in any sporting event. All Syracuse coaches are great! It's that damn talent why we suck!!!

Sometimes I'm not so thrilled with some of the time management Marrone has done but maybe he sees something I don't and wants to take advantage of it but the offense just doesn't execute it well or it's just a bad series of downs. They might have worked on that exact scenario and he has some faith they can move the ball. I've noticed SU seems to do better when the other d is playing more of a prevent defense and since there are no blitzes maybe this is why Marrone thinks it may be a good time to take advantage of that?

Oh well.

I'm not surprised about the scout. The vast majority of NBA executives and scouts think Boeheim is a bum, simply because he's unorthodox and isn't married to man-to-man D (as we all know).

And the head coach is probably jealous.

I think it's pretty well-established that Boeheim is one of the greatest bench coaches in college hoops history. Even igor will admit that much.

Sometimes I'm not so thrilled with some of the time management Marrone has done but maybe he sees something I don't and wants to take advantage of it but the offense just doesn't execute it well or it's just a bad series of downs. They might have worked on that exact scenario and he has some faith they can move the ball. I've noticed SU seems to do better when the other d is playing more or a prevent defense and since there are no blitzes maybe this is why Marrone thinks it may be a good time to take advantage of that?

None of what you said has anything to do with Marrone's odd tendency to take timeouts at the worst times.

I've tried rationalizing it as well, trust me. It doesn't work.

He stinks at managing the clock. :noidea:

Sometimes it's just that simple. It's just something he'll have to improve on and hopefully his strengths in other areas can help to offset that problem.

None of what you said has anything to do with Marrone's odd tendency to take timeouts at the worst times.

I've tried rationalizing it as well, trust me. It doesn't work.

He stinks at managing the clock. :noidea:

Sometimes it's just that simple. It's just something he'll have to improve on and hopefully his strengths in other areas can help to offset that problem.

I tried last year as well, it's like breaking through a wall and then when you look at it and say wow, he really does stink at managing the clock, it's strange but he does it quite often.

I tried last year as well, it's like breaking through a wall and then when you look at it and say wow, he really does stink at managing the clock, it's strange but he does it quite often.

It happened his first year as well. I remember saying that I loved what Marrone was doing Sunday-Friday but on Saturday I hated his game management. Unfortunately the Saturday stuff hasn't changed and the Sun-Fri stuff I like a lot less.

I'm not surprised about the scout. The vast majority of NBA executives and scouts think Boeheim is a bum, simply because he's unorthodox and isn't married to man-to-man D (as we all know).

And the head coach is probably jealous.

I think it's pretty well-established that Boeheim is one of the greatest bench coaches in college hoops history. Even igor will admit that much.

No. Actually both like Jim Boeheim a great deal - they think he's a great guy.

I've never heard anything about JB's preference for the zone defense. In fact both guys that I mentioned like using zone defenses.

I love JB but I'm not sure I can go as far as you - "one of the greatest bench coaches in college hoops history." The loss to Butler two years ago still bothers me and the loss to IU in 1987 remains very painful.

BTW - I didn't know until you told me that a vast majority of NBA scouts and executives think Boeheim is a bum. Where have you heard that?

I have been following JB since he was the frosh coach.

I admire his amazing record, his intellect and his competitiveness.

Do I question his approach to the game from time to time? Do I disagree with how he appears to treat players or the press from time to time? Sure I do.

Do I disagree with what my friends say? I don't know the game well enough to truly argue with them at least with respect to tactics and player development. They obviously know more than I do - one guy is undoubtedly the smartest BB guy I know.

During Marrone's rookie season in 2009, he showed us on quite a few occasions how raw he was with regard to game management and how much improvement he needed to make. I chalked it up as rookie mistakes and he would learn from them and become better the more experience he acquired.

My concern now is that he's not learning from his mistakes...possibly because he's not aware of them.

For example - is there anyone on the staff to tell him that calling a timeout inside your opponent's 15 immediately after a QB scramble with (approx) 1:30 left in the half and :30 on the play clock is a horrible decision? Or is he only focused on his players' mistakes?

That timeout pissed me off to no end... I knew it would come back and haunt us and it did... Piss poor game management... Big diff between 7 and 10 points down... It was like after that decision we deserved to lose... Whoever called it should be fired...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom