Marrone's Recruiting - Offensive Skill Position Players | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Marrone's Recruiting - Offensive Skill Position Players

JUCOs are short term solutions to long term problems - they are JUCOs for a reason. Look at Hay & Tiller. Really? I am surprised by your post.
What's wrong with short term solutions? You don't have to recruit 20 JUCO's but a select few at key positions that enable you to be successful in the short term while your long term project or I guess the preferred term is "development" recruits are ready.

We are not talking about Kstate Juco levels but we should bring in a few each year to shore up areas of need

I understand the main point but I can not stress enough on how hard it is to do things the right way and build relationships with hs coaches and players and Marrone is working hard to do so. Strong had a strong base in Florida and that is a top 3 recruiting state along with that he has less limitations academically than Marrone does. Our strength is that Marrone has been working with the 6th grade to higher kids and building that relationship up and that is where we will start to see the rewards. Those kids are now in 10th or 11th grade now and I firmly believe that this will be when Marrone recruiting begins to reach that 20-35 recruiting level is when these guys are looking at colleges.

The foundation for building a solid recruiting base is being built. Has Marrone recruited gamebrakers, not so far but he is building something that once some 4 or 5 star kids start looking here they might be able to get a few. It seems that fans like things that are shiny much like the players themselves and those stars are what turn many on and the system the Syracuse staff has is solid and getting more and more attention and I like the fact that Marrone isn't a bs car salesman like many coaches are. Rutgers does recruit pretty well and it took a while for Shciano to keep jersey kids home and that is something Marrone is now doing along with attracting players from other fertile recruiting areas in the east.

Marrone does not have those shiny super bowl rings but he has substance and a lot of times recruits don't want to be told the truth, they want their ass kissed or they had to be nurtured from an earlier age and shown the love. It's a process and from what I gathered from Marrone he doesn't seem to be an ass kisser so that building of relationships is the most important thing he can do and that is what he is doing.

Good post, but a good salesman does two things, sellls what he has and knows how to get the deal done... Plenty of old sales guys out there, "that still do business with a handshake" "My word is everything". That's great but I find it extremely annoying at the end of the day, I would rather eat. Marrone may need to change his tune a bit or find some assistants that can. In addition, The University needs to build facilties because they suck right now, plain and simple. To me, that isone of the biggest problem with recruiting.

Yeah, Syracuse has a chicken egg thing going, can't get recruits until you win and get money and you can't get money and win if you don't have the recruits.

What will make Marrone a good salesman is being honest and reliable. He will continue to build his sales by proving time and time again that he means what he says and will back it up with action, not just talk. Over time he will continue to get recruits and yes, if he had assistants that could sway the fence sitters it would be a bonus but they still have to go by the company line.

If he had, they would be playing ahead of the predecessor's recruits and for the most part they are not.

True frosh and redshirt frosh playing ahead of juniors and seniors? And because they aren't, that is why the offensive skill positions aren't being as recruited as well?

Arguably the best WR on the team is Dorian, who I would call a Marrone recruit because he moved him to the offensive side of the ball. He starts with Lemon, another Marrone recruit (he kept him, he got rid of a lot of other guys in that class).

You see Antwon and then a bunch of Marrone recruits at RB. I wish we had a RB who could have beaten out Delone and Antwon as a frosh or soph because that meant we had a 1st round NFL guy, but that just isn't realistic. Same with Nassib b/c if they beat out Nassib at QB, they are an NFL product.

At TE, Provo wasn't going to be beaten out by anybody, except maybe Catalina. Then you have a Marrone convert in Stevens to TE who has played above my expectations. Then you have Wales for blocking. And I am very excited about Parris and the possibility of Thompson.

Methinks everyone is quick to judge just because there is talent left over from G-Rob at the skill positions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom