Marrone's recruits | Syracusefan.com

Marrone's recruits

qdawgg

Night Biking Enthusiast
After some of the offensive woes we've seen this year there have been lots of threads wondering if we are getting the offensive talent we need in order to be really competitive.

I realize it's only 1 game and I'm usually reserved about thinking too much about a great win or a terrible loss BUT did this game make anyone feel better about the offense in general (scheme/playcalling) and the offensive recruits that Marrone has brought in himself?

I don't get why we are going hard on D. It is a lot easier to get guys on O and if they don't turn out move them to D. It happens all the time. You don't see it often the other way. Graham is an exception. I rather see us get 4 WRs and move one to CB and one to OLB than see us take 1 WR and put all our eggs in that guy turning out. I rather take 4 RBs and and move one to SS or OLB than to put it on 1 guy. I rather take 2 QBs and move one to TE or WR than to put it on one guy. Who knows maybe this is our strategy and we just can't get the O guys right now.

Guys I can think of that have changed after getting to SU

Dee Brown QB to RB
Kevin Johnson QB to WR
Joe Fields QB to FS
Tebucky Jones RB to FS
Kellen Pruitt WR to OLB
Derrell Smith RB to MLB
Doug Hogue RB to OLB
Keon Walker RB to SS
Ian McIntosh WR to FS

When it comes to the talent on the field, there is a lot of experience on offense. People just assume that if the freshmen and sophs aren't getting on the field, then they must not be talented enough to beat out the less-physically impressive starters, but that assumption just isn't true. Marrone will always favor guys who he can count on... but at some point those athletic kids will be the ones he can trust, and that is when things will get interesting.

I don't get why we are going hard on D. It is a lot easier to get guys on O and if they don't turn out move them to D. It happens all the time. You don't see it often the other way. Graham is an exception. I rather see us get 4 WRs and move one to CB and one to OLB than see us take 1 WR and put all our eggs in that guy turning out. I rather take 4 RBs and and move one to SS or OLB than to put it on 1 guy. I rather take 2 QBs and move one to TE or WR than to put it on one guy. Who knows maybe this is our strategy and we just can't get the O guys right now.

Dee Brown QB to RB
Kevin Johnson QB to WR
Joe Fields QB to FS
Tebucky Jones RB to FS
Kellen Pruitt WR to OLB
Derrell Smith RB to MLB
Doug Hogue RB to OLB
Keon Walker RB to SS
Ian McIntosh WR to FS

I know you posted your response before mine, but it goes to what I was saying, we were coming into this year with 3 experienced WR and a former safety with as much physical rawness as any incoming recruit at the position. We did take 4 WR... Hale was RS, Foster I assume is getting his feet wet with certain packages and ST, Reddish was moved to defense (just like you said you would prefer), and Eskridge did the same.

We recruited Kinder, Hunt, and Broyld over the last two years too... further examples of what you are talking about. Seems to me you are getting what you are asking for, just being a bit impatient in it's final results.

I know you posted your response before mine, but it goes to what I was saying, we were coming into this year with 3 experienced WR and a former safety with as much physical rawness as any incoming recruit at the position. We did take 4 WR... Hale was RS, Foster I assume is getting his feet wet with certain packages and ST, Reddish was moved to defense (just like you said you would prefer), and Eskridge did the same.

It is too early to evaluate our current guys. I was making reference to the class we are recruiting now. We have zero QBs, one RB, and one WR. Meanwhile we have 5 LBs. It seems odd to me when our 3 best LBs on the current roster are a Soph and 2 Frosh. It isn't a position of need IMO. Also a LB can move to DE or TE. While a RB can move anywhere outside of the lines or QB. A lot more options. RBs and WRs tend to be the best athletes. That is what I would like to see us going after. Again this might be our plan, we just can't pull in these kids yet.

Dee Brown QB to RB
Kevin Johnson QB to WR
Joe Fields QB to FS
Tebucky Jones RB to FS
Kellen Pruitt WR to OLB
Derrell Smith RB to MLB
Doug Hogue RB to OLB
Keon Walker RB to SS
Ian McIntosh WR to FS

Agree.

Phil Nash QB to FS.
Wilie Ford RB to DB
Steve Gregory WR to DB.
JR Johnson RB to LB

I'm sure there are many more.

After some of the offensive woes we've seen this year there have been lots of threads wondering if we are getting the offensive talent we need in order to be really competitive.

I realize it's only 1 game and I'm usually reserved about thinking too much about a great win or a terrible loss BUT did this game make anyone feel better about the offense in general (scheme/playcalling) and the offensive recruits that Marrone has brought in himself?
I feel better in that I think we have a lot more depth than we have had in the past. Most of the guys on the roster can play at least respectably. For instance at receiver we don't have any stars, but Chew, Lemon, Graham, West, and even Kobena are all competent. At DL same thing. Three years ago that wasn't the case.

I do still think the jury is out on whether Marrone can bring in elite talent. Not saying he can't...we just don't know yet. And our long term success is going to depend on our ability to bring in some Jarron Jones' and Ishaq Williams caliber recruits.

I'm not worried about elite talent - I'm sure I'll get blasted for that. I'm also not implying the team wouldn't be better if our roster was full of 4 star guys. We just aren't going to get elite talent on a regular basis, so I just don't personally get too caught up worrying about missing out on recruits like Ishaq.

This game felt like there was a real emphasis on involving some younger guys. Kobena, Smith, AAM, Graham (is he a marrone recruit? I can't remember), and I'm not sure how often West was on the field but he came up with a big catch in the 2nd half. These guys have played but it seemed this game the staff wasn't afraid to put them in regardless of where we were on the field or the downs situation. Felt like there was more trust to let these guys go out and play - other then not leaving AAM in to block. Probably a good idea after watching him try against Tulane. This was a big game to put more faith in some of the younger guys - not what we would typically expect out of the "conservative" staff.

It is too early to evaluate our current guys. I was making reference to the class we are recruiting now. We have zero QBs, one RB, and one WR. Meanwhile we have 5 LBs. It seems odd to me when our 3 best LBs on the current roster are a Soph and 2 Frosh. It isn't a position of need IMO. Also a LB can move to DE or TE. While a RB can move anywhere outside of the lines or QB. A lot more options. RBs and WRs tend to be the best athletes. That is what I would like to see us going after. Again this might be our plan, we just can't pull in these kids yet.

I do agree with you on the RB point. That is why I want to get out to a Rush-Henrietta game to see Derick Peters and see if his wheels are legit. If so, he'd be a great last minute pickup cause he could be another big RB, or move to LB or perhaps even be a big safety.

Other than that I still fail to see what you are concerned about. Smallwood, Broyld, and Lewis are just three guys off of the top of my head that fit exactly what it is you are talking about, but you seem to ignore them. Like I said, the same thing with what we did with Davis, Eskridge and Reddish last year. So this is happening. The emphasis has been on defense first, the offense will get there.

scott schwedes did pretty well switching

Ben-and-Jerrys-Schweddy-Balls.gif

And the legend. Diamond Ferri from RB to FS to RB/FS against B.C.
2004-11-30-inside-ferri.jpg

Good players will find the field no matter what. Players who switch positions are typically the most competitive as others would either pout or transfer. Give me the Joe Fields, Andrew Robinson, Max Suter and Cody Catalina's everyday. They are a coaches dreams due to their commitment and great work ethic.

And the legend. Diamond Ferri from RB to FS to RB/FS against B.C.
View attachment 122
Good players will find the field no matter what. Players who switch positions are typically the most competitive as others would either pout or transfer. Give me the Joe Fields, Andrew Robinson, Max Suter and Cody Catalina's everyday. They are a coaches dreams due to their commitment and great work ethic.

Wow how can I forget about him.

I feel it is hard to call any of the guys on the team GRob recruits for the simple fact that after three years they are very much so invested into HCDM's program. They were developed by this staff, so they should get ALL of the credit at this point because let's face it, development is a whole heck of a lot more important than recruiting. Use Clemson as an example, even though they are having a good year they normally are busts.

I feel it is hard to call any of the guys on the team GRob recruits for the simple fact that after three years they are very much so invested into HCDM's program. They were developed by this staff, so they should get ALL of the credit at this point because let's face it, development is a whole heck of a lot more important than recruiting. Use Clemson as an example, even though they are having a good year they normally are busts.

Taking things a step further in regards to that idea, it would be one thing if Robinson's 4-stars and 3-stars were a major factor of the last two years. But most of his highly-regarded recruits washed out for one reason or another. Marrone has utilized many more of the man's 2-star recruits than he has those with three or more.

Cooper Gardiner from DB to Punter

I do feel better. It was good to see the young backs chug and good to see some of the younger TEs and wideouts on the field and grabbing balls making some catches. I'm hoping we see the offense settle into a deeper rotation. At times I've been confused by some of the spots guys have been put in (it seemed like our red zone packages were really light on experienced performers) and how reliant we are on Chew, Lemon, Provo and Bailey, so it was good to see a lot of different players not just seeing the field but actually getting their hands on the football.

It makes me feel better, but I've never really been concerned. I know it's a process and I have patience. When Schafer came in, everyone on D said his system was less complex so that kids could just react and not have to think too much. I think that's one reason we've success there faster. I don't know if last night was a corner turned, but I feel better about how close we are to turning that corner.

I'm not worried about elite talent - I'm sure I'll get blasted for that. I'm also not implying the team wouldn't be better if our roster was full of 4 star guys. We just aren't going to get elite talent on a regular basis, so I just don't personally get too caught up worrying about missing out on recruits like Ishaq.

This game felt like there was a real emphasis on involving some younger guys. Kobena, Smith, AAM, Graham (is he a marrone recruit? I can't remember), and I'm not sure how often West was on the field but he came up with a big catch in the 2nd half. These guys have played but it seemed this game the staff wasn't afraid to put them in regardless of where we were on the field or the downs situation. Felt like there was more trust to let these guys go out and play - other then not leaving AAM in to block. Probably a good idea after watching him try against Tulane. This was a big game to put more faith in some of the younger guys - not what we would typically expect out of the "conservative" staff.

If you're talking talent in terms of how many stars a guy has when coming out of HS, then I agree with you. Marrone and the staff can clearly identify guys who have the abilities even if they don't have the accolades. So many raw players are molded into stars by good coaching at the college level, and the school doesn't matter. Case in point is all of the small college players that go on to have exceptional staying power in the NFL. If the staff can find the core group of athletes they can coach up and sprinkle in a few studs every couple years, they will do very well.

Didn't Gregory move from DB to WR only to back after one year?
Was a RB/WR (mainly WR) in HS where he was a star WR. Came here and went to DB as a FR and Soph, then to WR junior season, then DB his senior season.

Was a RB/WR (mainly WR) in HS where he was a star WR. Came here and went to DB as a FR and Soph, then to WR junior season, then DB his senior season.
Gotcha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom