Marty Byrnes | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Marty Byrnes

Yep, yet another “tradition” that we stole from another school.

The only one that I can think of that I’m pretty sure we originated…I think it evolved when I was a student…was the “who’s he?” cheer. Of course, over time the University pushed back on it because it wasn’t exactly conducive to a family-friendly atmosphere. It was Class AAA high-culture for we adolescents in the Manley Zoo however. I still miss it.

There was a funny thing… I wouldn’t exactly call it a “tradition” but in the Zoo we would generally pick a random opposing bench player during warmups and cheer loudly for him everytime his shot went in. The opponents always warmed up at the Zoo end of the court in Manley. The one consistent element was that player was generally short and cocky-acting. Having selected and groomed our target, the Zoo would call continuously for that player to be inserted once the game got underway. When the coach put him in, the Zoo went nuts and cheered like crazy, all the while urging him to shoot every time he touched the ball. Of course, by now the kid was very aware of all the attention, was very nervous, and would generally miss every shot he took. In delight, the Zoo would laugh raucously and shout all sorts of derisive things at him. One night, an opposing player who was the recipient of such Zoo sportsmanship actually ran up into the stands and started swinging at random Zoo denizens. I was probably about ten rows up so he never got up to me but it was SU basketball entertainment at its finest.

Good times, good times.
The “who’s he” chants have been resurrected recently.

With the original ending? That was always the “problem”.
The crowd seems mixed on the last chant. Older fans can be heard dropping the traditional “Big $#!+” Younger fans can be heard shouting something like, “You don’t play for us so we want to shout something clever and disparaging, but we don’t want to be accused of micro-aggressions or language that is not viewed as completely supporting of your authentic self. So please miss your shots. But we still respect your personal truth.”

It’s difficult to get all of that on a placard. But I am confident that’s what I heard.

"Dirty but good."
I just remembered an incident from the old days. I attended a CPA Society dinner and Boeheim was the speaker. There were about 40 African accountants who were at SU for some classes who attended the dinner.
After Boeheim spoke he took questions. First question was what he thought about Hal Cohen and Marty Head. Boeheim replied “They have the white mans disease - they can’t run and they can’t jump.”

Up the invisible ladder

CohenHeadd backcourt (the SNY Conehead skit was big around this time)

Bouie Boomerang

In for the snowbird (what Joel called an uncontested layup)

Ross the Boss

I bet somewhere there are some tapes of Joel doing play by play of SU football and basketball. Would love to hear them.

I might still have a cassette tape of a game I taped in that era. Pretty sure it was a game against West Virginia. Gale Catlett.

I will look for it. Doubt it would still play but it is worth a shot.

Jim “don’t call me bug” Williams

Mentioned before...but the best Joel call I ever heard:
There was a scramble for a loose ball.
Joel (off the top of his head) "Off the noggin of Headd and out of bounds."
My parents were friendly with Marty Headd's parents. You know what Marty's nickname was? You guessed it - Noggin.

EDIT: Marty's dad's nickname was Noggin.

I could be wrong, but I think Joel started the “invisible ladder” thing about the late Vaughan Harper:

“The kangaroo kid up the invisible ladder!”
The quiet storm. WBLS listeners from back in the day will know what I mean.

Me too.
My Dad and i used to sit in the student section it was the best. Some business i dont remember which one gave out lucky orange key chains. I used to put mine under my pillow when i was 5 or 6. Dad took me to practices when Roy was the coach. Great memories.

My parents were friendly with Marty Headd's parents. You know what Marty's nickname was? You guessed it - Noggin.
I played a ton of ball with Marty. Total stoner as most of us were and as good a shooter as anyone to wear orange.

I could have sworn that the Roy Danforth Zoo Cheer game was against Bucknell.

I was sitting adjacent to the Zoo when Danforth walked down the back sideline and up the baseline toward the Zoo. We had no idea what was about to happen.

He stopped in front of the Zoo and began a "Let's Go Orange!" cheer.

An amazing moment.

The Mike Lee kicking the ball into the crowd - St. Johns - game has to be the best game of that era. A huge crowd. St. Johns was heavily favored and the Orange really took it to 'em. Bob Dooms played the greatest game of his SU career.

So much fun.
Amazing era of SU basketball we are so fortunate to have been a part of it. Sweet D was pure magic pre game.

Amazing era of SU basketball we are so fortunate to have been a part of it. Sweet D was pure magic pre game.
I’ve been looking for years for a video of the sweet D pregame routine. Does anyone know where to find one. Great memories from Manley.

Ram Jam at the meat market.
I believe Joel used something like that as well

EDIT: Marty's dad's nickname was Noggin.
Marty Headd is my favorite SYR player. My name is Marty and in 79-80 I was on the junior high basketball team and I was not shy about taking shots, just like Marty Headd. My teammate nicknamed me Marty Headd. I became an instant SYR and Marty Headd fan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom