Maryland and the $50 million exit fee | Syracusefan.com

Maryland and the $50 million exit fee

That assumes Kevin Plank thinks UMD moving to the Big Ten is a good idea. He may mot being a local guy and a UMD graduate. If he is like fellow alum, Len Elmore, he may be dead set against it.

This is a money grab by the new AD and new President, neither of whom is really a Maryland person

That assumes Kevin Plank thinks UMD moving to the Big Ten is a good idea. He may mot being a local guy and a UMD graduate. If he is like fellow alum, Len Elmore, he may be dead set against it.

This is a money grab by the new AD and new President, neither of whom is really a Maryland person

I don't think there's a snowballs chance in hell that they got this far without him on board on moving to the big ten...in fact think abt the added exposure UA gets from a move to the big ten

If he's such a big MD fan, maybe he would give/lend some $$$ to MD to get them out of their bind. All depends on how much he likes the B1G move. Or, maybe he has no intention of helping out MD at all. :noidea:

I don't think there's a snowballs chance in hell that they got this far without him on board on moving to the big ten...in fact think abt the added exposure UA gets from a move to the big ten
We will see. We will see.

If he's such a big MD fan, maybe he would give/lend some $$$ to MD to get them out of their bind. All depends on how much he likes the B1G move. Or, maybe he has no intention of helping out MD at all. :noidea:

Since he is a Maryland Trustee that suggests pretty strongly that he is already "helping out MD."

Since he is a Maryland Trustee that suggests pretty strongly that he is already "helping out MD."
Probably. Comes down, I guess, to how much he likes or dislikes the move.

A Washington Post poll asking fans to vote on whether they think MD to the B1G is a good idea has 71% of 4,400 voters saying they think its a bad idea.

That's a landslide in any election. And reflects what I think you'll hear from the vast Terrapin army in the Area. A huge "thumbs down". The new AD and the new President aren't real Marylanders and have no idea how deep the ACC roots are.

If MD doesn't go, I could see a new President and AD at MD in the near future for trying to pull this off. Sounds like only 4 people knew about it including the chair and vice chair of the Board do Regents. If just MD leaves only, the ACC will be fine but if FSU leaves then that will be bad.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...-monday?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Don't know if I copied that right on the iPad but there's Planks fingerprints all over this...

Looks like it will be a good fight at the Monday Maryland meeting. Prez and AD working behind the scenes with Plank and Delany, keeping the others in the dark.

If Maryland says no, what happens to Rutgers? Interesting that sources bring up the contiguous states thing. Always thought they would find a way around that without much worry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

"Delany is not speaking publicly, and he has successfully created a wall of silence among Big Ten officials."

But it was leaked to Grosz? Doesn't sound like that was all that successful to me.

And the article uses that stupid NYT article that has been debunked several times. Ugh! :bang:

Cheers,
Neil
A Rutgers friend of mine brought that up today. When I told him those numbers were bunk, he (as expected) told me that if the NYT printed it, it is fact. Oh Lord

Plank supports it 100%. As does their board chair and vice chair. Its not just the Prez and AD.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Plank supports it 100%. As does their board chair and vice chair. Its not just the Prez and AD.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
How about the 8,000 member Terrapin Club?

"Delany is not speaking publicly, and he has successfully created a wall of silence among Big Ten officials."

But it was leaked to Grosz? Doesn't sound like that was all that successful to me.

And the article uses that stupid NYT article that has been debunked several times. Ugh! :bang:

Cheers,
Neil

This deal was being discussed on the internet several days before Phil Grosz wrote anything about it. He merely confirmed what certain internet posters were saying. There were multiple leaks but most of us just thought "here we go again with the Dude clones."

How about the 8,000 member Terrapin Club?

They've been put out to sea or as we say in the business...sleeping with da fishes.

I think the initial shock will be negative but after some research (pun intended) they will agree to join the Big 10 as long as daddy big bucks foots the bill.

Maryland does not have many cards left to play. This move was inevitable.

The ONLY reason Maryland might do this is for the Big Ten money. Not that that isn't a good reason. But everything else from an athletic standpoint lobbies against it.

Maryland's football team is barely competitive in the ACC. They'll be less competitive in the Big Ten. Crowds at Maryland games are anemic for local schools (VT, UVA). They will be smaller for Indiana and Iowa.

The answer is improving the teams. not in getting a bunch of cash based on the number of TV sets in the DC area.

Maryland depends heavily on the athletes from the local area, especially Prince George's County, MD. They are less attractive to that crowd as a Big Ten member.

Townie you are avoiding what this adds to Maryland academically.

Townie you are avoiding what this adds to Maryland academically.
That's why I said "athletically" in my post.

Lets strip away the nonsense. The B1G isn't interested in Maryland for its athletic programs. It's really just interested in the number of TV sets in the area.

If Maryland goes, it will be for the money that they desperately need because of the Maryland law on how UMD athletics are funded.

For this money, UMD is signing up to be a punching bag for Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska and eventually Penn State. They are barely competitive in the ACC. They will get killed in the Big Ten.

This would be a terrible decision for Maryland long term.

It's like marrying for money. You get the cash, but then it's shoved up your butt a quarter at a time over the years.

Unless the ACC is falling apart and they are just being proactive before the dollar drops.

Who is to say that NC isn't interested in the Big 10 or SEC for that matter? North Carolina would be quite the move for either conference.

Unless the ACC is falling apart and they are just being proactive before the dollar drops.

Who is to say that NC isn't interested in the Big 10 or SEC for that matter? North Carolina would be quite the move for either conference.

Bob, the B1G is out buying cable subscribers pure and simple. So Maryland should understand why they are being recruited.They should look down the road at what this means.

I don't think Maryland can compete in the B1G and I am quite close to the school and the alumni. I taught there as an adjunct for almost ten years. I served on a number of committees. I have have met Kirwan a number of times. I know how they think.

I'd say the same thing about SU to the B1G for slightly different reasons. We couldn't compete. These schools are too big, have too many resources and have then entire population of large states behind them.

Bob, the B1G is out buying cable subscribers pure and simple. So Maryland should understand why they are being recruited.They should look down the road at what this means.

I don't think Maryland can compete in the B1G and I am quite close to the school and the alumni. I taught there as an adjunct for almost ten years. I served on a number of committees. I have have met Kirwan a number of times. I know how they think.

I'd say the same thing about SU to the B1G for slightly different reasons. We couldn't compete. These schools are too big, have too many resources and have then entire population of large states behind them.

I agree with a lot of what you wrote but competing and big bucks overall for the whole school are huge imo. People said A&M couldn't compete in the SEC as well and yes I understand why the Big 10 is invading the area but overall I truly believe that this would be best overall for Maryland as well. Maryland is a stripper paying her way through college.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom