Maryland B 'Ball you can leave for the Big Ten | Syracusefan.com

Maryland B 'Ball you can leave for the Big Ten

I said the same thing to some Maryland fans walking out of their arena a few weeks ago. They were not pleased.
It's another football & TV-driven move.
Same thing we did in going to the ACC.
Basketball...an afterthought if that.

Smart for Big 10 (or however many it is) because it gives the Big 10 Networkm entre to the DC & Baltimore TV markets.

Smart for Big 10 (or however many it is) because it gives the Big 10 Networkm entre to the DC & Baltimore TV markets.

Except the difference is that we were looking for a stable conference. Maryland was looking to bail itself out from its own incompetence.

It's a win for the Big Ten contingent on the landscape of the cable market not changing. Once the market changes to an effective a-la-carte service over the Internet to your television, then what the Big Ten did will go down as perhaps the worst move in conference expansion. Subscription cable/satellite the way it is now is not going to look the same in even five years.

It's already there. All it means is that people in Md will pay more for ignoring the BTN. It doesn't get them much in DC or NoVa (whcih is watch UVa and VPI). Comcast has already warned the B1G that it is ready to go to court to keep the BTN as a premium channel.

Basketball shouldn't be an afterthought though, they won a nc not too long ago, and have great history.

Except the difference is that we were looking for a stable conference. Maryland was looking to bail itself out from its own incompetence.

It's a win for the Big Ten contingent on the landscape of the cable market not changing. Once the market changes to an effective a-la-carte service over the Internet to your television, then what the Big Ten did will go down as perhaps the worst move in conference expansion. Subscription cable/satellite the way it is now is not going to look the same in even five years.

What I always wonder about is if the cable networks in the New York/New Jersey and Maryland/DC area are now going to be more likely to carry the Big Ten Network (hence collecting the fee for each subscriber). I'm sure there are posters here who would know the answer to this better than I would.

What I always wonder about is if the cable networks in the New York/New Jersey and Maryland/DC area are now going to be more likely to carry the Big Ten Network (hence collecting the fee for each subscriber). I'm sure there are posters here who would know the answer to this better than I would.

I don't know about Maryland, but I live In New Jersey, and I can't see too many people demanding the Big ten network, because of Rutgers.

After reading that USA today Article on Rutgers in the dumpster fire mega thread and knowing Maryland's finances are horrid,
what is the B1G actually getting? If the cable model ever starts breaking down the B1G is stuck with perhaps the 2 worst managed programs in the Big 5 leagues.

I don't know about Maryland, but I live In New Jersey, and I can't see too many people demanding the Big ten network, because of Rutgers.
That's what I suspected.

It's already there. All it means is that people in Md will pay more for ignoring the BTN. It doesn't get them much in DC or NoVa (whcih is watch UVa and VPI). Comcast has already warned the B1G that it is ready to go to court to keep the BTN as a premium channel.
Well put.
Perhaps another example making a case for a la carte cable pricing.

I still think this expansion with UMD was an emotional response by Delaney to the ACC and ND (and possibly the ACC poaching Syracuse before he could). The other B1G expansion moves (PSU and NEB) seemed well thought out, strategic and calculated. In the long term, UMD and RUT do not make sense, and it is arguable that they don't in the mid-term either, for reasons cited above regarding a la carte vs subscription.

Can you imagine the groan in the B1G board room when the Louisville-Rutgers score rolled across the screen?

RU has often been called a sleeping giant, it might remain sleeping for some time to come.

Last edited:
That's what I suspected.
You'll get some folks looking for BTN, but I don't see it being a huge groundswell of demand for folks to change their current packages. It's already part of my plan on Comcast here in NJ, so I get to see Rutgers get beat down on a regular basis anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom