Maryland: Durkin Fired | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Maryland: Durkin Fired

You can find disgruntled players anywhere... true. You know who you can’t ask?

I get defending your friends, I don’t get defending a process that’s dangerous. “Ex-specially” when I guarantee those coaches were in those parents living room preaching how they’d take care of their son.

Worried about journalistic integrity, sheesh.

Maryland's recruiting will likely be decimated this cycle.
This situation presents quite a decision for the UM administration:
1. Do you sack the entire coaching staff (or a large portion of it) for cause and put in place some kind of makeshift staff this close to the season?
2. Do you hope the maelstrom abates and you can just make a few token adjustments?
3. Is there time to put them all on Admin Leave and conduct some kind of investigation?

Tough time to be a Terps fan. I always wished they stayed in the ACC as a traditional geographically logical opponent instead of reaching for the B1G stars. I wonder if that Under Armour guy/booster is complicit in fostering a win at all costs culture?

{snip}

Tough time to be a Terps fan. I always wished they stayed in the ACC as a traditional geographically logical opponent instead of reaching for the B1G stars. I wonder if that Under Armour guy/booster is complicit in fostering a win at all costs culture?
Not that anyone can tell. IIRC, he pushed for Edsall’s firing and that they hire Durkin, but only because Durkin was considered a coach on the make and Edsall was a disaster. He gave a lot of money toward converting Cole Field House into their IPF. He played for them, so it’s hard to think he would want someone with a bad rep of hurting players just because he’ll win.

UMd can’t decide whether it wants to be a huge land grant school or a really good one. Johns Hopkins says 25% of their school is from Maryland. That’s probably the second highest in-state percentage (only behind Rice in Houston) for a private school along the lines of Duke, Vandy, and Tulane. The only thing that makes UMd even semi-competitive with Hopkins for good students is cost. For the students at the best high schools of Montgomery and Howard counties (the most affluent areas) UMd is way down on their lists.

Not that anyone can tell. IIRC, he pushed for Edsall’s firing and that they hire Durkin, but only because Durkin was considered a coach on the make and Edsall was a disaster. He gave a lot of money toward converting Cole Field House into their IPF. He played for them, so it’s hard to think he would want someone with a bad rep of hurting players just because he’ll win.

UMd can’t decide whether it wants to be a huge land grant school or a really good one. Johns Hopkins says 25% of their school is from Maryland. That’s probably the second highest in-state percentage (only behind Rice in Houston) for a private school along the lines of Duke, Vandy, and Tulane. The only thing that makes UMd even semi-competitive with Hopkins for good students is cost. For the students at the best high schools of Montgomery and Howard counties (the most affluent areas) UMd is way down on their lists.

From what Im hearing Under Armor has its own problems financially.....and is struggling as of late...

From what Im hearing Under Armor has its own problems financially...and is struggling as of late...
Oh yes. They’ve been having financial problems for a while now.

Dear Terps,

I am extremely concerned by the allegations of unacceptable behaviors by members of our football staff detailed in recent media reports. We are committed to fully investigating the program.

At this time, the best decision for our football program is to place Maryland Head Football Coach DJ Durkin on leave so we can properly review the culture of the program. This is effective immediately. Matt Canada will serve as interim head coach.

The external review into the tragic death of Jordan McNair continues, and we have committed to releasing publicly the report being prepared by an independent and national expert.

The safety and well-being of our student-athletes is our highest priority. These alleged behaviors are not consistent with the values I expect all of our staff to adhere to and we must do better.

You will be hearing from me as our work continues to rebuild the culture of respect in our football program.

Damon Evans

Can't help but think if someone tried to break this story the week before that young man died it would have been dismissed as "the wussification of America" and whiny "milennials" and "snowflakes" that can't be coached.

I really hope for the B1G's sake, the TV subscription numbers have helped them. Because everything else about the Maryland and Rutgers additions have been a disaster.
The B1G "Old Guard" is doing their part to tar the league--PSU, MSU, OSU.

private pile in full metal jacket
I can’t imagine what go through someone’s head thinking this is a way to help a kid get motivated.

• The belittling, humiliation and embarrassment of players is common. In one example, a player whom coaches wanted to lose weight was forced to eat candy bars as he was made to watch teammates working out.

Hah...No. They stick them on the side of products in warehouses to expedite shipping. (7-15 cents)They also have them with a temperature feature. Most large warehouses use them(Walmart). You just drive pallets by, and the entirety of the order is remotely read. (Think EZ pass). Pretty simple to put em in a helmet, or on a head band...monitor temp. (Or more if you'd like)

*BTW. When they get them under 5 cents, expect them on every product in your local grocery store..(no checkout)

My point is that it's fairly easy, and widely used in industry. Put a $30 million settlement on each heat stroke death, and it seems an obvious solution, as the technology exists, and is inexpensive.

Gotcha. Still...I don't understand why these kids can't constantly be able to drink water and get breaks.

This may also expedite the Dome into getting air conditioning, some opposing team comes in and it's 90 outside, that Dome is hell. This could be a lawsuit waiting to happen.

The culture may have been horrible, but the kid died from run of the mill conditioning. In no football culture do you pull yourself because you're tired.

With RFID chips costing 7-15 cents, and remote temperature monitoring chips already available for well under $10, I don't know why they don't monitor the players to prevent a medical emergency. With 125+ players dying from it(1960- ), it seems like it's easy enough to address.

WMU has been using RFID chips for the past few years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom