Maryland Game Preview (2/18/23, 1 PM) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Maryland Game Preview (2/18/23, 1 PM)

I saw Aviles on the bench a couple of times Sunday with the other guys in street clothes, and didn't appear to notice any obvious issue (like his wrist in a wrap, I think someone said he hurt his wrist?) so maybe he's back sooner than later?
He did hurt his wrist and was wearing a soft cast last week. Haven't heard any results yet from his test tho.

I have some good news on Aviles. It's not broken and he's a game time decision Saturday. So even if he has to miss Saturday he should definitely be back next week. I wish Petro would run a 3 man rotation with Aviles, Rice and Murphy then Rosa jumps in when needed for whoever needs an extra break. I know it's asking a lot but that's a solid 3 man group. At least just for these next tough games. I like Rosa he's tough and physical plus a savvy vet but his foot speed is slow for a SSDM and could really struggle these next few games. The other 3 is a solid group. Do you guys think that's asking to much to run a 3 man rotation? I mean like I said whoever needs extra reset u have Rosa jump in. Even if Bolea is healthy I mean he's small so could get pushed around but he's tough and a lot quicker then Rosa. I liked him vs Vermont on man down. U need a fast guy in there on man down. Same iidk why they choose our slowest shorty on man down. I know Rosa is a captain but this team has shown it can win this yr so have to play the best. Anyone agree?

I have some good news on Aviles. It's not broken and he's a game time decision Saturday. So even if he has to miss Saturday he should definitely be back next week. I wish Petro would run a 3 man rotation with Aviles, Rice and Murphy then Rosa jumps in when needed for whoever needs an extra break. I know it's asking a lot but that's a solid 3 man group. At least just for these next tough games. I like Rosa he's tough and physical plus a savvy vet but his foot speed is slow for a SSDM and could really struggle these next few games. The other 3 is a solid group. Do you guys think that's asking to much to run a 3 man rotation? I mean like I said whoever needs extra reset u have Rosa jump in. Even if Bolea is healthy I mean he's small so could get pushed around but he's tough and a lot quicker then Rosa. I liked him vs Vermont on man down. U need a fast guy in there on man down. Same iidk why they choose our slowest shorty on man down. I know Rosa is a captain but this team has shown it can win this yr so have to play the best. Anyone agree?

I noticed #4 out there this past weekend in both games playing SSDM (at least later in the game), and per the roster it's Michael Page who is listed as LSM but maybe he continues to get a look?

I noticed #4 out there this past weekend in both games playing SSDM (at least later in the game), and per the roster it's Michael Page who is listed as LSM but maybe he continues to get a look?
I saw him just put his stick up in front of the cage and let up a goal. He looks like he has some speed but u gotta get physical in front of the cage. Maybe that's his issue idk but I think he just got some minutes late in the games. I would think if they felt he could do it he would have got a shot before the freshman Trujillo. I think Trujillo can be solid in the future if he hits the weight room and works on his foot speed. He has a lot of potential. I just don't think he's ready yet. Next yr he should be ready to go.

tired d mids is the quickest way to lose games. see: hopkins vs unc.

developing and using 4 (fully) in today's game is a must. they're attacked and asked to do so much so your defense isn't taken out of shape or discombobulated. a fresh #4 is better than a tired #1. the best coaches realize this.

tired d mids is the quickest way to lose games. see: hopkins vs unc.

developing and using 4 (fully) in today's game is a must. they're attacked and asked to do so much so your defense isn't taken out of shape or discombobulated. a fresh #4 is better than a tired #1. the best coaches realize this.

Yeah ur right u don't want them worn out in the 4th Q of a close game. Will be half the player they are anyway.

Is it true the only way to watch the Maryland game is on B1G+? Not the B1G network, but B1G+ streaming subscription.

Any suggestions for the cheapest way to watch it? Looks like a Monthly subscription to all Maryland games is $9.95/mo (then cancel it). Any way better than that?

Is it true the only way to watch the Maryland game is on B1G+? Not the B1G network, but B1G+ streaming subscription.

Any suggestions for the cheapest way to watch it? Looks like a Monthly subscription to all Maryland games is $9.95/mo (then cancel it). Any way better than that?

Invite a bunch of people over to your house for a game watch party, and charge them a $5 cover.

Syracuse as a young team, faces their first road game this week in a trip down to College Park, MD. They face the defending national champs coming off a poor showing to an instate rival. Before this past weekend I would have been happy with the Orange keeping it to within five. Now with Maryland looking vulnerable and a certain other Maryland based team rising their own level of play, this game seems more valuable. I don't want to say "must win" but the importance level seems to have risen.

I didn't watch the whole Loyola-UMD game, but reading recaps and watching highlights a few things are clear. Against Loyola, UMD was plagued by turnovers and sloppy play. It sounds like that with the loss of their true QB type in Eric Malever, they are starting three finisher types at attack in Owen Murphy, Danny Matlz and Daniel Kelly. Against the Hounds, Murphy seemed to struggle in his role as a QB and finished with zero points. Kelly was the Terps best player with four goals. None of these guys are known for the their dodging so it will be interesting to see if Coach Tillman tries to switch up the lineup. Kyle Long has long been rumored to move to attack as he's more of a passer, but he is coming off a game with five turnovers.

The Maryland midfield hasn't broken out much, the leading scorer is Jack Brennan with a modest four points in two games. The Terps have some size at that position with Brennan and Spanos, will the Syracuse d-middies be able to keep up with their physicality? If the Terp lineups stay the same, I imagine Clary will mark Murphy, Caccamo will get Kelly and Kol/Dwan will take Maltz. It looks like Loyola put a shorty on Maltz, who showed some nice dodging ability, so that might also be an option.

On defense the big storyline is the doubtfulness of Logan McAnaney who seemed to be injured against the Hounds. I don't think there will be much of a downgrade in his replacement in Teddy Dolan. He had a 54% save percentage at Binghamton and now will have guys like Brett Makar and Ajax Zappatillo in front of him. Syracuse can't go into the game thinking that they've somehow lucked out.

Loyola stayed away from Makar, LSM John Geppert and Ajax and attacked the SSDMs (UMD sent their top four to the PLL) and close man Colin Burlace. I imagine Burlace will be match-ed up with Alex Simmons. The Denver transfer has had a great year distributing the ball but has not been great at shooting it - just a 18% shooting percentage. He will have to improve in that department, especially if they plan on attacking Burlace. Side note, but UMD did bring in two Under Armor All Americans in AJ Larkin and Will Schaller - do they get looks?

I don't think 'Cuse will worry that much about matcups, but have to imagine that Leo and Birtwistle will draw the shorties for MD. Will SU move the ball effectively or be drawn into one on one matchups?

Lots of people have commented on how close years matchup was. The Orange actually won the face-off battle in that game 15-13 which allowed them to make a game of it. In the face-off department, I don't think that will be the case this year as Weirman looks his dominant self and Richisua has looked "pretty good", winning exactly half his draws. That said Weirman dominated Loyola 18-4 but Maryland still lost. The Hounds got great play which I think Will Mark can match, but they were also helped by 22 turnovers by Maryland, that seems a bit unlikely to happen again.

Can SU scrap to a few more face-off wins? Can they maintain their defensive discipline against a hungry Terp offense? Can the offense win their matcups? I am a little worried that Syracuse has had a goalie save 16 and 19 shots against them, they'll have to shoot better against the Terps. I'll be interested in tempo for this game. If possessions will be in short supply, will SU slow things down? Loyola apparently did a great job of slowing down the Terps in transition. I think frustrating Maryland early will be important.

Hopefully Zach80 can make himself useful around here and give us more insight on his beloved Terps.
Excellent Post!

you can pay 42$ for the year for lacrosse subscription. It includes all bigten+ lacrosse games men’s and woman’s that’s what i do.

you just pay for lacrosse games only n it’s 39.99$ but with tax think comes to 42$ or 45$ n it’s for year so can watch replays out of lax season

Lacy the SSDM can be picked on. He's big fast an athletic which makes him dangerous in transitions but he's not that good of a cover guy one on one. We were all mad last yr he got All Conference over Jake Murphy. Sure he had more goals from transitions but Murphy was hands down a better defender. To me a DM must have great cover skills first and foremost then anything else is gravy. Even when we saw Lacy going to Maryland we said they got a good player but not the better SSDM Murphy is. Murphy went into the portal after Maryland already grabbed Lacy. Worked out for the best because Murphy wanted to play for Petro and said he's really enjoying this season with his teammates plus the younger kids. He's taking Trujillo under his wing. He's definitely going to coach lacrosse and also runs his own training for kids at "True Strength Athletics" which he has an online site and all. He wanted to play for Petro to learn from his coaching style too. Idk why I told u guys all this but what I really was saying is that Marylands shortys are not even close to last yr and our mids can exploit them. I'm excited for tomorrow.

think the orange win at home tomorrow. terps are in a world of hurt both literally and figuratively. not the same team as last year. right now cuse has the better weapons on offense so i'll take the home team by a goal or two

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom