Maryland Game Preview (2/18/23, 1 PM) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Maryland Game Preview (2/18/23, 1 PM)

It will be interesting to see how the Terps set up the defense. Will it be Makar or Zappitello on Spallina? Zappitello is a top cover d-man, so I sort of expect him to take Spallina, while Makar handles Hiltz.
C.Burlace is a bit inexperienced and made a couple of mistakes against Loyola, but can do a good job.

With Josh Coffman out for the season, the ssdm corps has become rather inexperienced. Transfer Donovan Lacey is the only experienced ssdm. Trader and Kolar are fairly athletic but in their first year. Redd, a converted LSM, seems to be the 4th regular. LSM's are experienced with John Geppert and Jack McDonald.

I assume John Bolea will be out tomorrow as well since he didn't play a second in the Holy cross game. Looked pretty darn good in the UVM game. Would be a major bummer to not have both him and Aviles. Haven’t don’t the deep dive on the Loyola game but lots of Mds goals against Richmond were isos against a short stick where they gave plenty of space and added wrinkles to confuse the d on who was hot and who was the two slide.

If there is one team that I would be skeptical is actually bad after an early season bad loss it's MD. Along with ssdm concerns, I worry how things will go for us on the offensive end. Will the craftiness of our feeders/playmakers be enough to get goals if our still green middie line doesn’t get a lot off a more traditional dodge? Will Spallina get anything going on a veteran tank like Makar? Will Hiltz continue having his 1v1 opportunities against a guy like Zapitello? Assuming those will be the attack match ups. Loyola found success avoiding them entirely. The way our offense runs now can we afford to do the same? Remains to be seen.

It will be interesting to see how the Terps set up the defense. Will it be Makar or Zappitello on Spallina? Zappitello is a top cover d-man, so I sort of expect him to take Spallina, while Makar handles Hiltz.
C.Burlace is a bit inexperienced and made a couple of mistakes against Loyola, but can do a good job.

With Josh Coffman out for the season, the ssdm corps has become rather inexperienced. Transfer Donovan Lacey is the only experienced ssdm. Trader and Kolar are fairly athletic but in their first year. Redd, a converted LSM, seems to be the 4th regular. LSM's are experienced with John Geppert and Jack McDonald.
Guessing it will be Makar on Spallina just because they seem to like Zappitello on a teams more speedy ankle breaking type. Makar is a bigger guy who may be more suited for Spallina's style of dodging. But could go either way.

I assume John Bolea will be out tomorrow as well since he didn't play a second in the Holy cross game. Looked pretty darn good in the UVM game. Would be a major bummer to not have both him and Aviles. Haven’t don’t the deep dive on the Loyola game but lots of Mds goals against Richmond were isos against a short stick where they gave plenty of is actually bad after an early season bad loss it's MD. Along with ssdm concerns, I worry how things will go for us on the offensive end. Will the craftiness of our feeders/playmakers be enough to get goals if our still green middie line doesn’t get a lot off a more traditional dodge? Will Spallina get anything going on a veteran tank like Makar? Will Hiltz continue having his 1v1 opportunities against a guy like Zapitello? Assuming those will be the attack match ups. Loyola found success avoiding them entirely. The way our offense runs now can we afford to do the same? Remains to be seen.

Yeah I liked Bolea on the man down unit. He's fast and tough. Idk why we use our slowest shorty on man down. Like I said many times I like Rosa he's tough but his feet are just to slow for a SSDM. I would rather Bolea as the 4th guy. He might be small and get bodied some but hes tough and will battle back. I rather have a faster guy with quick feet then a bigger slower guy. Rosa is serviceable but don't matter if Bolea is hurt anyway.

I assume John Bolea will be out tomorrow as well since he didn't play a second in the Holy cross game. Looked pretty darn good in the UVM game. Would be a major bummer to not have both him and Aviles. Haven’t don’t the deep dive on the Loyola game but lots of Mds goals against Richmond were isos against a short stick where they gave plenty of space and added wrinkles to confuse the d on who was hot and who was the two slide.

If there is one team that I would be skeptical is actually bad after an early season bad loss it's MD. Along with ssdm concerns, I worry how things will go for us on the offensive end. Will the craftiness of our feeders/playmakers be enough to get goals if our still green middie line doesn’t get a lot off a more traditional dodge? Will Spallina get anything going on a veteran tank like Makar? Will Hiltz continue having his 1v1 opportunities against a guy like Zapitello? Assuming those will be the attack match ups. Loyola found success avoiding them entirely. The way our offense runs now can we afford to do the same? Remains to be seen.

I don't think Bolea has played since Vermont. No update from SU but he's not in the box score in either Albany or Holy Cross.

Yeah I liked Bolea on the man down unit. He's fast and tough. Idk why we use our slowest shorty on man down. Like I said many times I like Rosa he's tough but his feet are just to slow for a SSDM. I would rather Bolea as the 4th guy. He might be small and get bodied some but hes tough and will battle back. I rather have a faster guy with quick feet then a bigger slower guy. Rosa is serviceable but don't matter if Bolea is hurt anyway.

Bolea is hurt I think, hasn't played since Vermont. Staff really likes Rosa but he's not a burner which can be problematic. Need to get Aviles back ASAP but Rice, Murphy, Rosa and Trujilo is a decent group. Page is playing a bit at short stick now but he's an emergency guy at this point along with Woody. Rice and Murphy are going see a lot of PT especially if Avilles is out again.

Yeah I liked Bolea on the man down unit. He's fast and tough. Idk why we use our slowest shorty on man down. Like I said many times I like Rosa he's tough but his feet are just to slow for a SSDM. I would rather Bolea as the 4th guy. He might be small and get bodied some but hes tough and will battle back. I rather have a faster guy with quick feet than a bigger slower guy. Rosa is serviceable but don't matter if Bolea is hurt anyway.
Petro is possibly playing the SSDM with the best stick skills on man down so he can transition the ball when they get it. No point on getting the ball and having a less skilled SSDM on the field.

well our syracuse ladies took down maryland in dominate fashion hopefully the men will do the same. Think they have to do what woman did which was score early n quickly. Grant maryland ladies did get run themselves to bring it to goal. Cuse woman then ran it after that. They def will have to bury shots. Maryland shooters vs loyola didn’t shoot very well. Also loyola goalie was very good having 19saves. Maryland turned it over a lot. Maryland def not as good as last year but still think they are very welled coached and will be home after a loss so see them coming out ready to play. Syracuse will have to keep up with no simple turnover on simple passes which killed them last year for most of season. Clear ball very well and with faceoffs being issues(my opinion) have to get every contested ground ball and extra possession. I think will be good game and hope come out with win but gotta say feel bout 50/50 on us winning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom