Masiello To USF Deal Is Off | Syracusefan.com

Masiello To USF Deal Is Off

There's a shocker. He probably realized that his current gig is better than any AAC job. He wants a bigger pond.

Masiello's out already after USF finds a discrepancy in his background check. Any idea what they found? Can he go back to Manhattan or is he done there too? Odds that they are looking at Hopkins now? My gut says that with all of these openings and announcement will be made soon that Hop is gone.

Odds that they are looking at Hopkins now? Zero.

My gut says that with all of these openings and announcement will be made soon that Hop is gone.

Based on what?

He didnt graduate from college. With how easy it is to complete a degree these days, you'd think these coaches would take the time to grab the few remaining credits they need.

Very strange. He was an assistant at Tulane, Manhattan, Louisville before he became a head coach yet never took any courses to finish up his degree? The guy was a walk-on at Kentucky and didn't accumulate enough credits to graduate after 4 years? We're talking a walk-on here :rolleyes:

Wonder if he was following a track for a degree or just taking random courses to stay eligible? After O'Leary how could any coach take the chance that schools wouldn't do a background check and why 3 universities never checked till now? Multi-million $ screw up on his part.

Last edited:
There's a shocker. He probably realized that his current gig is better than any AAC job. He wants a bigger pond.
pete, youve been here a while, generally well liked, so we are going to let you decide your own punishment for being a newbie...and not reading a link and just spouting off your opinion on the matter.

now, what will it be??

death?...or exile??

pete, youve been here a while, generally well liked, so we are going to let you decide your own punishment for being a newbie...and not reading a link and just spouting off your opinion on the matter.

now, what will it be??

death?...or exile??

I'm not going out on that ice, Dr. Crane! You'll just have to throw me in a pit of angry Hoyas so I can enjoy fighting my way out. :)

I did not have time to read the link this morning, but I did have time to post a quick, smart ass comment. I made a logical assumption as to the reason. I didn't think we had another fake background guy.

I'll go drink 10 PBR's and say 10 Hail Mary's. Is that sufficient?

I'm not going out on that ice, Dr. Crane! You'll just have to throw me in a pit of angry Hoyas so I can enjoy fighting my way out. :)

I did not have time to read the link this morning, but I did have time to post a quick, smart ass comment. I made a logical assumption as to the reason. I didn't think we had another fake background guy.

I'll go drink 10 PBR's and say 10 Hail Mary's. Is that sufficient?
PBRs and prayers, huh.

You don't fear death... You welcome it. Your punishment must be more severe.

Torture. but not of your body, of your soul.

when drinking those PBRs you must watch hoya games from the esherick era... and for your last beer you will watch the last 5 mins of the 87 Champ game.

since the Orange lost, ive watched 'rises' about 4x on 1 of the hbos,cinemax' whatever and the 2 hoop games i watched i had the Knicks kick me right in the balls 2x. i actually stayed up for last night.

i am officially DONE with hoop for the rest of the year.

D.O.N.E.

DONE.

When will these guys learn? After what happened to O'Leary, and given the 24/7 media scrutiny on this stuff, why would dramatically embellish stuff on their resume?

Now what is Manhattan going to do? Would they fire him? Welcome him "back" with open arms? Pretty embarassing for all concerned.

Just as in O'Leary's case, I suspect that the embellishment occurred very early in his career... likely his first GA/coaching gig. Once it's out there (and on school websites) it really can't be undone. The subsequent school copies relevant parts of the bio and posts it on their website. On an application nobody thinks much of it since it's consistent with the previous school's bio and "surely" the previous school must've checked. A thou the embellishment, would Masiello have gotten his first coaching opportunity?

In O'Leary's case neither SU nor GA Tech caught the embellishment.

In this case Manhattan doesn't look great either. They failed to check in the post-O'Leary era.

It may be best for him to find a low(er) profile job and complete his degree. This incident won't disappear, but by getting the degree he'll be able to move on.

Maybe he can be an assistant to Eddie Jordan at Rutgers now where they aren't too picky if their coaches have graduated.

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 5m
Manhattan places Steve Masiello on leave while he reviews his degree status with Kentucky.

Gary Parrish ‏@GaryParrishCBS 1m
It appears Steve Masiello’s play here is going to be that he genuinely thought he had a degree and therefore didn’t knowingly lie.

I'm curious how many credits short he is from graduating. It would suck if he was 1 or 2 classes short. I can see how a kid is a couple short and says F it and goes out to start working after bein there for 4 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom