Matt Langel: Next HC of the Cuse | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Matt Langel: Next HC of the Cuse

He’s been offered bigger jobs and turned them down. He has long term financial security at Colgate. And they are currently designing a brand new basketball arena that will open in 2026. He could retire there if he wants and have the court named after him.
Or, he could have the court named after him, have additional historical success, then lose his edge and have the least success he's ever had until he decides to hang it up long after he's required to start taking his social security checks.

He has kicked jims arse as badly as any coach ever has. He owns JB

He replaced two assistants and a couple of major players and they didn't miss a best. He's good. I'd like to see him beat someone other than us on the P5 level, but he's very good.

Everyone assumes the next best and greatest coach will want to coach at SU. That may not be the case. Langel may have zero interest in coaching at SU. SU may also have no interest in him. The same goes for other coaches routinely mentioned as JB’s successor. When JB finally retires, I think possible candidates will be surprising and disappointing to fans. Obviously, an in-house candidate or Hop could be considered. Anyone who thinks a big time coach is going to leave their current program to come here is delusional. We’re not going to offer $5 million to a new coach.

Let us know when Langel makes the tourney as a 12 seed and pulls a couple of upsets. Way too much is being made of Colgate beating Syracuse circa 2021-22. They haven't beaten anyone else of note.

Let us know when Langel makes the tourney as a 12 seed and pulls a couple of upsets. Way too much is being made of Colgate beating Syracuse circa 2021-22. They haven't beaten anyone else of note.
Langel has a better resume than JB did before he got our job. Langel prolly has a stronger resume than our assistants who are presumed to be next in line. A 12 seed? We’re likely a 20 seed at this point.

Remember when JB had the reputation for his teams choking in the tournament? Maybe Langel could grow into the role. Just like anyone else.

I‘m just debating ideas here. I know nothing about Langel, except for seeing two games in two years here his bunch of ragtag no names thoroughly humiliated a HOFer with vastly greater resources. I have to wonder what he could do with actual talent.

Everyone assumes the next best and greatest coach will want to coach at SU. That may not be the case. Langel may have zero interest in coaching at SU. SU may also have no interest in him. The same goes for other coaches routinely mentioned as JB’s successor. When JB finally retires, I think possible candidates will be surprising and disappointing to fans. Obviously, an in-house candidate or Hop could be considered. Anyone who thinks a big time coach is going to leave their current program to come here is delusional. We’re not going to offer $5 million to a new coach.
I find it hard to believe Lange wouldn’t want to make a couple million a year.

Colgate lost to Duquesne last night. Ouch.

I would switch never to rarely. 2010 moved the ball really well. I think the problem we've had is that we depend on a group of players being naturally bent toward that rather than it being something that is trained into everyone. I'm not saying we don't do ball movement drills, but on most of our teams it doesn't translate to great ball movement in games.
Jim has always relied on great players and basically has let them free wheel within a loose structure.
Heck we cant even scheme to inbounds the ball.
JB isnt a great O coach. Hes had great players. As the talent has diminished he has resorted to ISO ball. Putting the ball in one guys hands and hoping.
We have very little ball movement. We dont screen well. We dont cut well. We are not a well coached O team. Ask any coach and they will tell you.

Jim has always relied on great players and basically has let them free wheel within a loose structure.
Heck we cant even scheme to inbounds the ball.
JB isnt a great O coach. Hes had great players. As the talent has diminished he has resorted to ISO ball. Putting the ball in one guys hands and hoping.
We have very little ball movement. We dont screen well. We dont cut well. We are not a well coached O team. Ask any coach and they will tell you.
You don't need to be a coach to see it. Cuse isn't giving me my fix lately; watching UVA last night was a thing of beauty. I've always spoken out against Bennett's grinding style of play, but when he has players that know the system and execute, it can be a lot of fun to watch. Baylor was a huge challenge for them and seeing the talent and coaching adjust and readjust as the battle went on made me yearn for the competitive Cuse squads of old where it felt like anything was possible, even in a down year.

I find it hard to believe Lange wouldn’t want to make a couple million a year.
It’s not that he wouldn’t want to make it, it’s that he might not want to do it here. Sky high expectations for a guy fresh out the patriot league taking over for a legend? that has all the making of a 3 and out contract if he’s lucky.

There's no evidence about this re: money. Our basketball program has been one of the most profitable ones in the country. Even if we spent $3m more on the head coach every year, it'd still be one of the most profitable given attendance and everything else. It'd be stupid NOT to spend $5M on the next coach. I am quite confident JW and the powers that be know this. You don't kill a cash cow.

There's no evidence about this re: money. Our basketball program has been one of the most profitable ones in the country. Even if we spent $3m more on the head coach every year, it'd still be one of the most profitable given attendance and everything else. It'd be stupid NOT to spend $5M on the next coach. I am quite confident JW and the powers that be know this. You don't kill a cash cow.
And the right coach could bring renewed interest in the program. Thus, more income.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom