Matt Park | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Matt Park

Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s lots of people who have DUI’s working professional jobs. Heck I have multiple friends with them. I get it’s terrible, but I’m sure a lot of us message board posters have done dumb sht in our lives.
Ya I mean he probably had to pay a huge fine, he was suspended and embarrassed. I am very much anti drunk driving but I don't know what else people want here.

Ya I mean he probably had to pay a huge fine, he was suspended and embarrassed. I am very much anti drunk driving but I don't know what else people want here.

Exactly.
Should he have been fired?

I got a DUI like 30+ years ago, paid the fines, dealt w/ the license suspension, etc.
(no accident involved, just got pulled over).
And given the nature of my job, I had to report that. But I didn't get fired.

I am all for HARSH penalties for repeat-offender DUI's, and especially if an accident was/is involved.

If you go to games at other sports venues, you come home to the Dome (every time, I might add ...) and I say to myself, "why couldn't the Dome be more like this?" Every time. The Dome has all the charm of an airplane hangar.

Of course, I haven't been there since the new overhead scoreboard and the enhancements were put in. I haven't been inside with the new roof. Maybe it is amazing now.

But when I go to other place, they can have actual seats with cup holders, pretty good food at the concessions, wide open hallways, and plenty of places to go to the bathroom. Is that so much to ask, if you're going to pay $50-100 to see a game?

Sight lines in the Dome are usually excellent, especially in the upper level, and you are very close to the field for football. So those are the main positives.

I will be excited for Phase 2 to be completed.

College venues and pro venues tend to be pretty different animals. Dome is in line with other schools we play.

College venues and pro venues tend to be pretty different animals. Dome is in line with other schools we play.

Really only the YUM! center is far and away better in the ACC for hoops, and that's because it's much newer.

Many college football stadia are old decrepit junk.
Ours is just bland. There are far worse things.

And as Dino says "we have a Dome and you don't!! Neener neener neener!!!" ;)

I’d argue that he’s taking classless cheap shots on the fanbase in his recent tweets.
Observing that certain fans need a bit more perspective on the overall success of a basketball program is hardly a "classless cheap shot."

And hardly merits a public reference to a personal matter that is past history.

The only issue I have is didn't he get the DWI the night before a game? It can happen to anyone at anytime, and he may have only had a few cocktails but the night before you go on the air...that ups the offense a little bit. That said it was dealt with and he paid his price so no issue today.

I’d like to go on record that getting a DWI is much more classless than giving someone chit about it and if I ever get one everyone I know can feel free to crack jokes for the rest of my life

I suspect you know very little about what actually occurred.

Every circumstance is different.

That you feel comfortable casting stones in response to a basketball discussion is your issue.

I see it as classless.

Heck yes it is. St. George. Fun town.

Dixie State has been around for a long time as a college, but it became a legit 4 year University just back in 2013.

My wife's sister got expelled from there. Good times.
Dixie always had good athletics as a JUCO if I am not mistaken.

To answer your question, I googled the article. He was basically suspended for 2 games. Brian Higgins filled in for him vs Clemson and NC State after it happened as well as hosted Syracuse Sidelines and Shafer's weekly show.
I should have been more clear, but I was referring to the legal disposition. I wasn’t sure if the matter was pled down, or if someone stepped in and the case was magically dismissed.

He was suspended for at least 3 games (2 football and 1 bball). What else do they need to do?

randomly bring this up 7 years later? Should they make an announcement before each game that he was arrested for DUI?

what does it even mean that it was swept under the rug?
By “swept under the rug”, I was referring to the legal proceedings. I didn’t know if Park pled guilty to the original charge, to a reduced charge or if the case was tossed.

There’s lots of people who have DUI’s working professional jobs. Heck I have multiple friends with them. I get it’s terrible, but I’m sure a lot of message board posters have done dumb sht in our lives.
But as was mentioned repeatedly upthread, Park is a university employee (I believe that at the time, he was instructing a class at SU as well), and a representative of both Syracuse University and its basketball program. He’s a quasi-public figure, not someone in the private sector.

That you feel comfortable casting stones in response to a basketball discussion is your issue.

I see it as classless.
I never said anything about his DWI and I certainly don’t give a damn about the “circumstances” around it.

If you think that giving a guy crap about drinking and driving is more classless than actually drinking and driving then it seems like your priorities are out of whack my man. But if you wanna defend the guy that spent three days insulting the fanbase go for it.

Dixie always had good athletics as a JUCO if I am not mistaken.
Yup, really solid sports that used to feed the Mountain West/WAC schools back in the day.

Yup, really solid sports that used to feed the Mountain West/WAC schools back in the day.
Was there a Snow JUCO as well? I feel like some guys I played football with came here from there.

Was there a Snow JUCO as well? I feel like some guys I played football with came here from there.
Yeah. Snow is still a thing. In fact, their color scheme and S looks a lot like Syracuse stuff.

Yeah. Snow is still a thing. In fact, their color scheme and S looks a lot like Syracuse stuff.
Nice, I am pretty sure Andy Stokes was the kids name. Played TE for us and went on to get drafted as Mr Irrelevant.

I see it as classless.

Dude got arrested for DUI or DWI on a work trip, presumably in a car that work paid for.

What else is there to know about "what actually occurred"?

In my (lower-profile) professional circles, that'd be a pretty easy case for termination.

Uncharacteristic takes from you here.

But as was mentioned repeatedly upthread, Park is a university employee (I believe that at the time, he was instructing a class at SU as well), and a representative of both Syracuse University and its basketball program. He’s a quasi-public figure, not someone in the private sector.

What one does in privacy wouldn’t normally be punished. Since he is a public figure you can justify the suspension he got. However when it happens on a work trip, you can argue that he should have been fired. Especially when the university could have been held liable should he have gotten in an accident in the university rented car.

Nice, I am pretty sure Andy Stokes was the kids name. Played TE for us and went on to get drafted as Mr Irrelevant.
Utah public higher education is pretty solid and well run overall. They sit in a nice position where a quality education is still relatively affordable.

Utah public higher education is pretty solid and well run overall. They sit in a nice position where a quality education is still relatively affordable.
Nice to hear. I have had sisters live in Utah through the years and one still there with her husband and kids. All attended school there at one point from BYU/Utah State, and then Utah Valley State

Dude got arrested for DUI or DWI on a work trip, presumably in a car that work paid for.

What else is there to know about "what actually occurred"?

In my (lower-profile) professional circles, that'd be a pretty easy case for termination.

Uncharacteristic takes from you here.

It is not a contemporary story.

And, it has nothing to do with an assessment of our basketball program.

It is not a contemporary story.

And, it has nothing to do with an assessment of our basketball program.

100%

You got the point being made. Bringing up things that have nothing to do with an assessment of our basketball program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom