Matthew Moyer looks back on Syracuse, ahead at Vanderbilt | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Matthew Moyer looks back on Syracuse, ahead at Vanderbilt

The 33% from 3 would be ok if it wasn't combined with the mindnumbing 36% from inside the arc. Slightly better from inside this year but still way below average and now he's terrible from 3 as well on a fairly high volume. I have to imagine that he is close to or below replacement level on offense. Thank god he is a great rebounder.

his two point shot needs to get better. i think some of his low percentage is attributable to him rebounding his own misses then missing again. with that said, it doesn't change the fact that moyer really isn't good enough to be a contributor at a high level D1 team.

his two point shot needs to get better. i think some of his low percentage is attributable to him rebounding his own misses then missing again. with that said, it doesn't change the fact that moyer really isn't good enough to be a contributor at a high level D1 team.

Think we are in agreement with Oshae, worst thing for us is that he has the highest usage rate on the team while being incredibly inefficient.

In regards to Moyer, I still value players like him a lot. Anyone capable of putting up even a single double-double in ACC play as a freshman certainly has the ability to contribute as an upperclassmen.

He'll end up with a degree(s) from a well respected institution and he'll get to play basketball instead of rotting on the bench. He was a hard worker and has nothing bad to say about his time here. In there anyone on this board that is less capable than you of seeing something from someone else's perspective and simply wishing them well?

Yep. A Vanderbilt degree is a damn good degree to have. Will open a lot of doors for him.

Think we are in agreement with Oshae, worst thing for us is that he has the highest usage rate on the team while being incredibly inefficient.

In regards to Moyer, I still value players like him a lot. Anyone capable of putting up even a single double-double in ACC play as a freshman certainly has the ability to contribute as an upperclassmen.

contribute is a broad and ambiguous term in this context, but im not sure id use that as a litmus test. kaleb joseph had a double double against #7 villanova his frosh year. i think he also had a big game against bc that year.

moyer is a junior agewise and averaging 4&3.

contribute is a broad and ambiguous term in this context, but im not sure id use that as a litmus test. kaleb joseph had a double double against #7 villanova his frosh year. i think he also had a big game against bc that year.

moyer is a junior agewise and averaging 4&3.

Give him an extra bucket and a board per year for next 2 and he's an 8 & 5 guy off the bench. When's the last time we had one of those?

Give him an extra bucket and a board per year for next 2 and he's an 8 & 5 guy off the bench. When's the last time we had one of those?

why not just add 20 pts and 10 boards and call him a hall of famer?

Marek is basically that guy tossing in a couple of assists a game.

No it isn't.

It's one of the best degrees of its kind. But there are dozens of degrees from hundreds of schools that are "better" from the perspective of criteria like intellectual rigor or career prospects. I mean, damn, right at Syracuse University I'd much rather have an MPA from Maxwell or an architecture or engineering degree, and it'd be easy to make an argument that somebody could do better at the iSchool than at Newhouse as well. As for Vanderbilt, it's a selective private university with better metrics than Syracuse. They've got plenty of excellent degree programs.

And none of that is any of my business -- or yours -- as it relates to Matt Moyer or any of the kids at any of those schools. But it's wrong to say that he made a bad decision from an academic standpoint.
Do you realize the kind of connections that a person gets at Newhouse? The AD was a VP at ESPN, that alone is huge. He is a very likable guy that I could easily see doing commentating and color. It just didn't seem like it was entirely his decision, which is sad.

why not just add 20 pts and 10 boards and call him a hall of famer?

Adding 2 points and 1 reb per year as a low end trajectory is a lot? Weird. Maybe we've became too accustomed to our players not really improving from year to year like they used to.

Adding 2 points and 1 reb per year as a low end trajectory is a lot? Weird. Maybe we've became too accustomed to our players not really improving from year to year like they used to.

a cart blanche doubling someone's stats is a bit unreasonable and nonsensical. players who have low ceilings don't improve much, even if john wooden, coach k, steve kerr are coaching them.

Last edited:
... He is a very likable guy that I could easily see doing commentating and color. It just didn't seem like it was entirely his decision, which is sad.

Agree with you here. Moyer seemed like the ideal representative for his college, and I'm sure SU would be better with him than without him. D-I athletics kind of sucks, to be honest.

But I don't know that the kid is missing out too much.

a cart blanche doubling someone's stats is a bit unreasonable and nonsensical. players who have low ceilings don't improve much, even if john wooden, coach k, steve kerr are coaching them.

are you iommi?

Guy was Mr. Basketball in Ohio and had at least 8 and 5 on 4 occasions last year as a freshman with up and down minutes and this year his current per 40 numbers are 12 and 8, so I think that's a beyond fair estimate of what could be expected of him as a SR.

I watched Matt last week when Vandy play UT, and tuned into yesterday's game until it was out of hand. From a pure basketball standpoint, it's certainly debatable whether Matt is a P5 player or ever will be. He redshirted his frosh year, then played some here last season and now this, so he's 3 years removed from HS. I understand many here wish him well, etc., so do I. He's at a great academic institution in Vanderbilt, so he no doubt will have a bright future, but it won't be in hoops IMO.

If I'm being 100% transparent, I do question how Matt ever landed at a top hoops school in SU. This question is purely from a basketball ability, skills, etc. position. Again, it has nothing to do with his character, as a person, etc., purely 100% basketball related. I mean after all, they come here first and foremost to play hoops on a basketball scholarship, and this is Syracuse, an alleged elite program at that.

Besides SU, he was offered by Ohio St, Tennessee, Florida, Illinois, Virginia Tech, WF, Wisconsin, Vandy, PSU, Kansas St, Northwestern, Arizona St, Butler, Xavier, and a few others. Those offers were based upon this.

South Kent Prep: Moyer was named the Connecticut Gatorade Player of the Year … He helped the Cardinals to a 20-10 record and the semifinals of the New England Preparatory School Athletic Council (NEPSAC) Class AAA Semifinals … He was coached by Kevin Jefferson … Moyer was a first-team NEPSAC Class AAA selection …In the season opener against Redemption Christian, Moyer had 23 points in a 115-57 victory … He followed with 19 points in a 121-101 triumph versus Upper Room Christian School … In the National Prep Showcase, South Kent was defeated by Hargrave Military Academy, 86-79, despite 19 points from Moyer … He scored 27 points and added eight rebounds when the Cardinals beat Monteverde Academy in the same event, 100-80 … Moyer posted a double-double (15 points-12 rebounds) when his team defeated Army Prep, 99-83 … South Kent defeated The Word Of God High School, 87-80, in the Big Apple Basketball Invitational, and Moyer contributed 16 points and 10 boards … He produced 18 points and 14 rebounds versus Northfield Mt. Hermon, but South Kent was defeated, 90-86 … The Cardinals toppled Bridgton Academy for the second time, 80-65, and Moyer contributed 21 points … He had 16 points and 11 rebounds in a 63-59 victory at New Hampton … The next time out, in a 104-95 victory against Commonwealth Academy, Moyer had 29 points and a season-best 17 rebounds … He had 22 points when his club beat Thomas More, 101-83 … The Cardinals posted a fifth-consecutive triumph, 92-85 versus Brewster Academy, and Moyer contributed 25 points … He had 30 points and 10 rebounds when South Kent defeated Rock Top Academy, 123-85 … Two days later he had 10 rebounds again, to go with 20 points, in a 90-84 victory against Lee Academy … South Kent defeated Bridgton Academy, 95-76, in the quarterfinals of the NEPSAC Tournament … Moyer contributed 20 points … The Cardinals lost in the semifinals to Northfield Mt. Hermon, 86-78, despite 23 points from Moyer … In the spring recruiting rankings, Moyer was ranked 74th overall in the ESPN 100, 71st by At their request, this network is being blocked from this site., 40th by and 80th by 247sports.com.

Guy was Mr. Basketball in Ohio and had at least 8 and 5 on 4 occasions last year as a freshman with up and down minutes and this year his current per 40 numbers are 12 and 8, so I think that's a beyond fair estimate of what could be expected of him as a SR.

What does being mr ohio get him now? He plays less than 15 minutes a game on a sub 500 team that has injuries.

What does being mr ohio get him now? He plays less than 15 minutes a game on a sub 500 team that has injuries.

That was a response to your low ceiling player reference. Seeing that he was offered by numerous big time schools both as a high schooler and as a transfer last year, I think that's a valid counterpoint regardless if you think it's meaningless. A lot of coaches that get paid multiple millions per year seem to disagree with your low-ceiling thought.

Pretty sure everyone would take Oshae over Moyer, not a single person has said otherwise. Not all 15 & 9's are created the same. Doing it in 38 minutes a night while shooting 35% overall from the field isn't particularly impressive. If Moyer or Marek for that matter was given 38 mins at PF instead of Oshae and attempted 13 shots per game, I don't think either would be far off of those numbers. Team probably isn't better off with it but those numbers are meaningless given that our offense is/was a mess and some guys get to pile up shots despite horrific shooting percentages.
Dolezaj played nearly 30 minutes per game as a freshman and wasn't in the same universe as Brissett.

That was a response to your low ceiling player reference. Seeing that he was offered by numerous big time schools both as a high schooler and as a transfer last year, I think that's a valid counterpoint regardless if you think it's meaningless. A lot of coaches that get paid multiple millions per year seem to disagree with your low-ceiling thought.

Some players dont live up to recruiting rankings. Happens all the time. We could post kaleb josephs cuse profile on here and it would look similar. College is a big jump. If we went by high school offers, ja morant would be a low ceiling guy.

Some players dont live up to recruiting rankings. Happens all the time. We could post kaleb josephs cuse profile on here and it would look similar. College is a big jump. If we went by high school offers, ja morant would be a low ceiling guy.

So why did Vandy, Florida, Kansas St, Texas and Xavier all pursue him this summer. Kaleb didn't get those looks.

Dolezaj played nearly 30 minutes per game as a freshman and wasn't in the same universe as Brissett.

Honestly if my goal is to win a basketball games and I had to pick 1 of the 2 then I'd prefer to have Marek on my team than Oshae.

Besides SU, he was offered by Ohio St, Tennessee, Florida, Illinois, Virginia Tech, WF, Wisconsin, Vandy, PSU, Kansas St, Northwestern, Arizona St, Butler, Xavier, and a few others. Those offers were based upon this.

South Kent Prep: Moyer was named the Connecticut Gatorade Player of the Year … He helped the Cardinals to a 20-10 record and the semifinals of the New England Preparatory School Athletic Council (NEPSAC) Class AAA Semifinals … He was coached by Kevin Jefferson … Moyer was a first-team NEPSAC Class AAA selection …In the season opener against Redemption Christian, Moyer had 23 points in a 115-57 victory … He followed with 19 points in a 121-101 triumph versus Upper Room Christian School … In the National Prep Showcase, South Kent was defeated by Hargrave Military Academy, 86-79, despite 19 points from Moyer … He scored 27 points and added eight rebounds when the Cardinals beat Monteverde Academy in the same event, 100-80 … Moyer posted a double-double (15 points-12 rebounds) when his team defeated Army Prep, 99-83 … South Kent defeated The Word Of God High School, 87-80, in the Big Apple Basketball Invitational, and Moyer contributed 16 points and 10 boards … He produced 18 points and 14 rebounds versus Northfield Mt. Hermon, but South Kent was defeated, 90-86 … The Cardinals toppled Bridgton Academy for the second time, 80-65, and Moyer contributed 21 points … He had 16 points and 11 rebounds in a 63-59 victory at New Hampton … The next time out, in a 104-95 victory against Commonwealth Academy, Moyer had 29 points and a season-best 17 rebounds … He had 22 points when his club beat Thomas More, 101-83 … The Cardinals posted a fifth-consecutive triumph, 92-85 versus Brewster Academy, and Moyer contributed 25 points … He had 30 points and 10 rebounds when South Kent defeated Rock Top Academy, 123-85 … Two days later he had 10 rebounds again, to go with 20 points, in a 90-84 victory against Lee Academy … South Kent defeated Bridgton Academy, 95-76, in the quarterfinals of the NEPSAC Tournament … Moyer contributed 20 points … The Cardinals lost in the semifinals to Northfield Mt. Hermon, 86-78, despite 23 points from Moyer … In the spring recruiting rankings, Moyer was ranked 74th overall in the ESPN 100, 71st by At their request, this network is being blocked from this site., 40th by and 80th by 247sports.com.

A lot of solid offers, no doubt. That being said, based upon him being 3 years removed from HS, from what I've saw of him here last year and a few times this season at Vandy, it's a bit perplexing to me. I just dont' see any semblance of a P5 player, let a lone a top P5 program of SU's standing.

A lot of solid offers, no doubt. That being said, based upon him being 3 years removed from HS, from what I've saw of him here last year and a few times this season at Vandy, it's a bit perplexing to me. I just dont' see any semblance of a P5 player, let a lone a top P5 program of SU's standing.

I replied to you questioning how he landed here. 3 years later is always 20/20. it was a good pick up.

I replied to you questioning how he landed here. 3 years later is always 20/20. it was a good pick up.

no one is challenging that. but him leaving is not really a loss either. at least from a purely basketball perspective.

also, you can't really say it was a good pickup. in hindsight, it was a bad pickup. it just seemed good at the time.

I understand what your response was to. I was just adding, 3 years later he still doesn't look like a player that would warrant a schollie to a P5 program, let alone the stature of SU's. So, it's puzzling that with that being the case, how he got those offers 3 years ago in the first place.

no one is challenging that. but him leaving is not really a loss either. at least from a purely basketball perspective.

also, you can't really say it was a good pickup. in hindsight, it was a bad pickup. it just seemed good at the time.

I only responded to how could he land here.

I understand what your response was to. I was just adding, 3 years later he still doesn't look like a player that would warrant a schollie to a P5 program, let alone the stature of SU's. So, it's puzzling that with that being the case, how he got those offers 3 years ago in the first place.

I will say I understand why you're perplexed. Sometimes when these kids have these accolades you expect you're going to get a slightly more polished gem. Moyer seemed really unrefined - which I guess is the shocking part. However, seemed like a really good kid, and I think if he stuck around for four years we would have reaped the benefits in the end. I don't think he would have ever developed into much of a star, but nevertheless, a great program type guy for depth, etc...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom