Maybe Marrone's commitment to SU should've been questioned all along | Syracusefan.com

Maybe Marrone's commitment to SU should've been questioned all along

Millhouse

Living Legend
Started college in 1982. Graduated in 1991. Wouldn't be the first time he left SU without finishing what he started. Maybe he'll come back in a few years after the NFL thing doesn't work out for him again

Putting your name in the mix for other jobs after 4 years probably wasn't in his binder.

Doesn't mean he's not right about the facilities but I'm not going to jump off a bridge losing a coach who punts at the 32 yard line.

He was in college for 9 years? Talk about being a career student.

Little rough here. Doug Marrone isn't leaving for another college he is leaving for the National Football League. During his entire tenure as SU coach he has always behaved like an NFL coach and so I am not going to rip him for going to the NFL. If he left for Wisconsin or Tennessee I would be enraged, but he has brought SU back to respectable nationally and the job would go to the next in line to improve the program. My grandfather always told me its the responsibility of the current generation to leave things better than they got for the country to grow and by this criteria Doug Marrone has passed with flying colors we can win now and there is still room for improvement for the next guy.

Look, you can't fault a guy for wanting to better himself. I would absolutely be devastated to lose him as a coach. But he's Orange now and always will be even if he is an NFL coach. But when you aren't given the resources necessary to succeed in your job, do you stay knowing you will probably fail?

Can we at least wait until he goes on an interview, much less accepts a job before we blackball the guy as a terrible coach, a terrible person and a guy who despises all things Orange?

Good lord it's going insane over here...

Can we at least wait until he goes on an interview, much less accepts a job before we blackball the guy as a terrible coach, a terrible person and a guy who despises all things Orange?

Deal. Can we at least wait until he has a season as good as coach p' s best before we annoit him a Syracuse Hall of Fame coach. We aren't losing Bear Bryant.

I didn't say any of those things. I'm questioning his commitment to syracuse. He left before graduating and I suspect the interview leaks are coming from him. Syracuse isn't what he dreamed it would be, and that's fine. It works the other way too.

He was in college for 9 years? Talk about being a career student.

Attended SU from 1982-1986. Played in the NFL and the WLAF from 1986-1991. Finished up his degree at SU in 1991.

I didn't say any of those things. I'm questioning his commitment to syracuse. He left before graduating and I suspect the interview leaks are coming from him. Syracuse isn't what he dreamed it would be, and that's fine. It works the other way too.
I don't think you are really even questioning his commitment to SU. I just think you are playing Doug Gottlieb here and stirring the pot.

I don't think you are really even questioning his commitment to SU. I just think you are playing Doug Gottlieb here and stirring the pot.
No. I think he is questioning his commitment to syracuse.

Deal. Can we at least wait until he has a season as good as coach p' s best before we annoit him a Syracuse Hall of Fame coach. We aren't losing Bear Bryant.
How many signature wins and What loses in P's era? I think every one agree that there is at least one signature win in each of year Marrone in SU. those are the games making head lines and elevating a program the most. I am not sure if one can claim any What loses under Marrone. I am not a football expert. But I do believe Marrone has the build to be very special with potential to be a legend college football legend if he stays long enough. Is he perfect, no. but I believe that he works very hard in SU and deserve a lot of credits and appreciations. I will love to see him staying. but I will not blame him if he decide to leave. I will always appreciate his efforts at SU.

How many signature wins and What loses in P's era? I think every one agree that there is at least one signature win in each of year Marrone in SU. those are the games making head lines and elevating a program the most. I am not sure if one can claim any What loses under Marrone. I am not a football expert. But I do believe Marrone has the build to be very special with potential to be a legend college football legend if he stays long enough. Is he perfect, no. but I believe that he works very hard in SU and deserve a lot of credits and appreciations. I will love to see him staying. but I will not blame him if he decide to leave. I will always appreciate his efforts at SU.

haven't we all had enough of p threads. let comatose dogs lie

Nobody said we were losing Bear Bryant. Its the freaking principle of leaving. If your own alumni is not only willing to leave but also willing to leave for other colleges (as rumored, true or not) then what does that say about your school? If the guy is willing to take over a program as horrid as 10-37 before him was, only to want out when he gets the program back to respectability, what does that say about the program?

Its not about losing a solid coach to a better NFL/college HC job, its about losing an alumni who came here to make a long term commitment to fixing this program only to be forced to come to the realization that he can't do it any longer due to several "problems" and "frustrations" that he's had with the BoT and fan base.

mark sanchez is great and i have the tv ratings to prove it

Very well done...the USC slurping and nutty numbers behind it! I admit I was hoping for an SU themed post though.

I thought he was short sided when he said it was his dream job - gives his employers leverage to pay him less. I know I would never hint that at my job.

Marrone will respect those far more if he is paid fairly and given the resources to do his job. Bees said compensation is being taken care of and I have no info to the contrary. Resources for staff & facilities are still 2 question marks needing an answer.

Nobody said we were losing Bear Bryant. Its the freaking principle of leaving. If your own alumni is not only willing to leave but also willing to leave for other colleges (as rumored, true or not) then what does that say about your school? If the guy is willing to take over a program as horrid as 10-37 before him was, only to want out when he gets the program back to respectability, what does that say about the program?

Its not about losing a solid coach to a better NFL/college HC job, its about losing an alumni who came here to make a long term commitment to fixing this program only to be forced to come to the realization that he can't do it any longer due to several "problems" and "frustrations" that he's had with the BoT and fan base.
Maybe, just maybe, it says something about him. That he doesn't have what it takes to see this thing through. Or, that he just wants to coach in the NFL.

Maybe, just maybe, it says something about him. That he doesn't have what it takes to see this thing through. Or, that he just wants to coach in the NFL.
The bills are interviewing 2 guys from the same team that just finished the season 1-11. They are such a sh!tshow that they can't assume the recently fired HC who just 11 of 12 will want the job so they're interviewing the assistant to the recently fired HC who just lost 11 of 12

If he were really concerned about relative facilities and $, he wouldn't interview with the Bills.

After he's done as the Bills HC, he'll still yearn for his first NFL hc gig.

This reeks of a guy thinking he can't do any better than what he just did. I don't care what kind of long term relative disparities there are at SU, he could continue to be a .500 college coach for a few years. We could tell from his demeanor whether they'd stink that Saturday the last few years. Maybe he thinks they'll stink next year. That's a shame.

I would wonder if his family doesn't like Syracuse or something but that wouldn't explain going to Buffalo. They're the same town

The bills are interviewing 2 guys from the same team that just finished the season 1-11. They are such a sh!tshow that they can't assume the recently fired HC who just 11 of 12 will want the job so they're interviewing the assistant to the recently fired HC who just lost 11 of 12

If he were really concerned about relative facilities and $, he wouldn't interview with the Bills.

After he's done as the Bills HC, he'll still yearn for his first NFL hc gig.

This reeks of a guy thinking he can't do any better than what he just did. I don't care what kind of long term relative disparities there are at SU, he could continue to be a .500 college coach for a few years. We could tell from his demeanor whether they'd stink that Saturday the last few years. Maybe he thinks they'll stink next year. That's a shame.

I would wonder if his family doesn't like Syracuse or something but that wouldn't explain going to Buffalo. They're the same town

Of course that also means that the Bills gig is entirely a no-lose situation. Everyone expects nothing, so if he delivers nothing no one will really care. At worst he'll have a couple years of HC experience on his resume and he can join the elite club of regurgitated NFL head coaches.

Of course that also means that the Bills gig is entirely a no-lose situation. Everyone expects nothing, so if he delivers nothing no one will really care. At worst he'll have a couple years of HC experience on his resume and he can join the elite club of regurgitated NFL head coaches.
if marrone takes that job, he'll end up like mike mularkey. we all know what he does when he feels like his teams are less talented. he'll turtle up and punt like it's his job. the bills fans and media will make him return to thinking of Syracuse as an idyllic wonderland. then he'll pray some other awful joke of a franchise like jacksonville has to settle for him

mularkey has it the best of recent bills coaches. gailey will go to a nursing home, williams is god knows where. jauron is a grad assistant

Started college in 1982. Graduated in 1991. Wouldn't be the first time he left SU without finishing what he started. Maybe he'll come back in a few years after the NFL thing doesn't work out for him again

Putting your name in the mix for other jobs after 4 years probably wasn't in his binder.

Doesn't mean he's not right about the facilities but I'm not going to jump off a bridge losing a coach who punts at the 32 yard line.

Good grief!

You may not be aware of this, but the combined workload of college football and academics can be very heavy. And depending on your major, its not unusual to see athletes take 5 years to get through, to attend summer sessions to stay on track or to not finish their degree requirements ever.

So he left SU a number of credits short of graduating (3? 6? 15? 30? 128?) and finished a number of years later.

And for this you are suggesting he's a quitter, a person who chronically fails to finish what he has started?

This strikes me as both unfair and ungenerous on your part.

I'm guessing you still have a hangover from New Years. I get cranky too when I don't feel well.

I'd be disappointed to see him go to. But I think I'll stop short of suggesting the guy's a chronic quitter.

Attended SU from 1982-1986. Played in the NFL and the WLAF from 1986-1991. Finished up his degree at SU in 1991.
Hmmm...having a hard time figuring out how leaving before getting a degree...and yet coming back to get it would cause one to question his commitment to SU. Many guys leave before they get their degree to make some money in the pros. Marrone played professionally until '92. The commitment was toward getting his degree...and in fact, unlike many who leave early, he got his degree.

Coaches leave schools all the time to go to the pros. Doesn't really say a lot about the schools but more about their ambition and priorities.