Maybe Marrone's commitment to SU should've been questioned all along | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Maybe Marrone's commitment to SU should've been questioned all along

Good grief!

You may not be aware of this, but the combined workload of college football and academics can be very heavy. And depending on your major, its not unusual to see athletes take 5 years to get through, to attend summer sessions to stay on track or to not finish their degree requirements ever.

So he left SU a number of credits short of graduating (3? 6? 15? 30? 128?) and finished a number of years later.

And for this you are suggesting he's a quitter, a person who chronically fails to finish what he has started?

This strikes me as both unfair and ungenerous on your part.

I'm guessing you still have a hangover from New Years. I get cranky too when I don't feel well.

I'd be disappointed to see him go to. But I think I'll stop short of suggesting the guy's a chronic quitter.

why are you talking about 5 years?

I didn't say it was chronic. I'm just saying it happened before. I also didn't say he was a quitter. I'm saying Syracuse doesn't mean as much to him as we thought.

in your response, please reflect on your distinguished career at large corporations in your characteristically pompous way. thanks.

I didn't say it was chronic. I'm just saying it happened before. I also didn't say he was a quitter. I'm saying Syracuse doesn't mean as much to him as we thought.

in your response, please reflect on your distinguished career at large corporations in your characteristically pompous way. thanks.
an SU degree meant enough to him that he returned and got one. Usually, when a player goes pro...and then much later comes back for his degree, he's applauded. Somehow, in this case, it infers he is not committed to the school. Funny.

Hmmm...having a hard time figuring out how leaving before getting a degree...and yet coming back to get it would cause one to question his commitment to SU. Many guys leave before they get their degree to make some money in the pros. Marrone played professionally until '92. The commitment was toward getting his degree...and in fact, unlike many who leave early, he got his degree.
people who graduate on time are more committed than those who graduate in 9 years. they're also usually smarter

he wanted to get into coaching, he needed a degree, so he got it from the place where he had credits.

Oh yes you did, Brad. Oh, yes you did: "Wouldn't be the first time he left SU without finishing what he started".

It's a very short leap from "He's done it before" to "chronic" from and "without finishing what he starter" to "quitter". I'm just translating language into more blunt terms.

I'll stick with "unfair" and "ungenerous" to describe your original attack on the guy.

people who graduate on time are more committed than those who graduate in 9 years. they're also usually smarter

he wanted to get into coaching, he needed a degree, so he got it from the place where he had credits.
in any case, you are talking about a commitment to HIS degree... not a commitment to the school. I bet you got a degree in 2 years.

Great! Now we can add relatively "uncommitted" and probably not-too-smart to the charge sheet to chronic quitter and to not disclosing his willingness to leave for the first NFL head coaching job in his binder.

All along, I have been thinking he was a good guy. How wrong I was.

Oh yes you did, Brad. Oh, yes you did: "Wouldn't be the first time he left SU without finishing what he started".

It's a very short leap from "He's done it before" to "chronic" from and "without finishing what he starter" to "quitter". I'm just translating language into more blunt terms.

I'll stick with "unfair" and "ungenerous" to describe your original attack on the guy.

You call it translating, I call it lying, you insufferable bore

Maybe, just maybe, it says something about him. That he doesn't have what it takes to see this thing through. Or, that he just wants to coach in the NFL.

That's possible. But what has the University or fan base done for him in 4 years? I am well aware of his mediocre record but look at the facts. The school chooses to underpay him, his staff, fails to find a solution to fundraising for the practice facility etc. Meanwhile, the fans complain, don't donate at an adequate level and can't find the time to come to the games

While I could be wrong, this is more likely the University/fan base than it is Marrone. If they're not going to invest in him, he sure as hell isn't going to continue investing in this program.

Great! Now we can add relatively "uncommitted" and probably not-too-smart to the charge sheet to chronic quitter and to not disclosing his willingness to leave for the first NFL head coaching job in his binder.

All along, I have been thinking he was a good guy. How wrong I was.
More lying

I never said he wasn't a good guy.

I have said that I don't think he's smart - that's no secret. But that's not a prerequisite to being a good coach. I am very happy with the job he did this year.

You call it translating, I call it lying, you insufferable bore

We'll let the jury of opinion on here decide if there isn't a reasonable equivalency between the actual language you used and how I translated it.

Insufferable bore? You don't seem very bored in this exchange. You seem agitated. But not bored.

Some --- not me, of course ... might say that when the name calling starts its a pretty good probability that the name caller is losing the argument.

Some --- not me, of course ... might say that when the name calling starts its a pretty good probability that the name caller is losing the argument.
not you and not me, liar

Started college in 1982. Graduated in 1991. Wouldn't be the first time he left SU without finishing what he started. Maybe he'll come back in a few years after the NFL thing doesn't work out for him again

Putting your name in the mix for other jobs after 4 years probably wasn't in his binder.

Doesn't mean he's not right about the facilities but I'm not going to jump off a bridge losing a coach who punts at the 32 yard line.

Yeah that's fair.

I didn't say any of those things. I'm questioning his commitment to syracuse. He left before graduating and I suspect the interview leaks are coming from him. Syracuse isn't what he dreamed it would be, and that's fine. It works the other way too.

What does that mean?

The guy did the job he was handed, to gut this mess and turn it around.

Mission accomplished.

The guy wasn't snowing anybody when he came in, so how bad do you think it would have to be for his commitment to weaken?

Maybe, just maybe, it says something about him. That he doesn't have what it takes to see this thing through. Or, that he just wants to coach in the NFL.

What a surprise. Cut the crap with the maybe's, and own what you really think.

What a surprise. Cut the crap with the maybe's, and own what you really think.
Relax. I am actually not bashing your bff. I just thought that marrone's plan (the poster, not the man) was too cut and dry). Wanted him to consider another side. And guess what, if you read his follow up post, he did. If you want to know what I think, here it is. Doug is a good football coach who is a bit immature as a man. The Webb episode showed me that when he wasn't willing to sit down with a pretty good guy and a good reporter and tell him man to man what was bothering him. And for those that say who cares? You can't have it both ways. You want fans to be hot and interested. You need the media for that. You can't be a dick to them. Coach Mac met with the local reporters every Sunday morning in a meeting he didn't give to anyone else. Coach Mac got it. You also notice the paper never went after him. I've seen it, as have others, in his demeanor. Unlike you, I have no dog in the fight. I just want us to win. I am not in love with Coach Marrone like you. I also don't dislike him either. I will wish him well if he leaves. But for a guy with his dream job, making a million a year in syracuse, he seems very unhappy. By the way, I think he should be paid twice that. And at the end of the day, if that is what this is about, and I don't think it is, I would be 100% on his side.

What does that mean?

The guy did the job he was handed, to gut this mess and turn it around.

Mission accomplished.

The guy wasn't snowing anybody when he came in, so how bad do you think it would have to be for his commitment to weaken?
I agree that he's turned it around. I think he's a good coach. I don't think he was intentionally snowing anybody. I just don't think his commitment was as great as we thought it was. You can either think that things are so bad that his great commitment weakened or you can think that maybe his commitment wasn't as great as we originally thought

There are some pretty stupid/insulting posts in this thread. :bang:

Started college in 1982. Graduated in 1991. Wouldn't be the first time he left SU without finishing what he started. Maybe he'll come back in a few years after the NFL thing doesn't work out for him again

Putting your name in the mix for other jobs after 4 years probably wasn't in his binder.

Doesn't mean he's not right about the facilities but I'm not going to jump off a bridge losing a coach who punts at the 32 yard line.
Devil's advocate. Doug comes here. Promises are made to him about facilities, money for assistants, etc. He does his job, to date. ( I am not sure that can be argued, based on where we started.). SU fails to live up to any commitments. He knows he has a rookie QB and will likely lose Pugh to the NFL, making next year tough.
Assuming broken promises by SU, do you not look into leveraging your success into either a firm
commitment that is enforceable or moving on to a job where your boss will give you what you need to win? Should he be more committed to his employer than his employer?
BTW, in terms of dollars, how committed are you to SU? ( Before you ask, don't question me. I am NOT a FB guy and would not miss it if it didn't exist, but I am glad when they do well. )

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/10-...with-a-washing-machine-will-leave-you-amazed/

Devil's advocate. Doug comes here. Promises are made to him about facilities, money for assistants, etc. He does his job, to date. ( I am not sure that can be argued, based on where we started.). SU fails to live up to any commitments. He knows he has a rookie QB and will likely lose Pugh to the NFL, making next year tough.
Assuming broken promises by SU, do you not look into leveraging your success into either a firm
commitment that is enforceable or moving on to a job where your boss will give you what you need to win? Should he be more committed to his employer than his employer?
BTW, in terms of dollars, how committed are you to SU? ( Before you ask, don't question me. I am NOT a FB guy and would not miss it if it didn't exist, but I am glad when they do well. )

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/10-...with-a-washing-machine-will-leave-you-amazed/
Hey...here's another crazy thought. Guy gets asked to interview. He likes his current job but like many people, he decides to go interview so as not to leave a stone unturned. He ends up doing just that and stays in his current job after all that.

Wow, you sound like UT fans after Kiffin left them... and DM hasn't even left yet. Would you like a little cheese to go with your whine?

The last time Doug Marrone was so eager to get out was the end of his 5th senior year.

Hey-o!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom