maybe people forgot but there was a guy named mike hopkins that used to work here | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

maybe people forgot but there was a guy named mike hopkins that used to work here

it was the OP!

Just goes to show these people who are so sure today that Hop was The Guy werent quite so brazen in late 2016.
I didn’t say that? Or this thread’s OP?

I was more just looking for people to give me confidence in Hop. I wasn’t ripping the guy just wanted some positivity.

I didn’t say that? Or this thread’s OP?

I was more just looking for people to give me confidence in Hop. I wasn’t ripping the guy just wanted some positivity.
Hahahahahaha

dude...

Hahahahahaha

dude...
I don’t hesitate to State my opinions that was why I wasn’t embarrassed by that thread I bumped. I wasn’t trying to destroy Hop it was more looking to be reassured and I didn’t know how good he was. I really didn’t have a strong opinion on him at time I was more on JB for the stale offense and that hasn’t really changed.

The Pac 12 isn't the ACC, but his recruiting blows ours out of the water, and blows most teams out of the water.

My thoughts on Hop are probably in the top 5 most wrong I've ever been about anything in my life.
I think Mike getting real life coaching experience is good for him and good for SU. Think about when Dean Smith retired after a few miss steps it was Roy Williams, his long time assistant that came to save the day. Mike could grow to be our Roy Williams.

I don’t hesitate to State my opinions that was why I wasn’t embarrassed by that thread I bumped. I wasn’t trying to destroy Hop it was more looking to be reassured and I didn’t know how good he was. I really didn’t have a strong opinion on him at time I was more on JB for the stale offense and that hasn’t really changed.

yep

I think Mike getting real life coaching experience is good for him and good for SU. Think about when Dean Smith retired after a few miss steps it was Roy Williams, his long time assistant that came to save the day. Mike could grow to be our Roy Williams.

It wouldn't shock me if Mike came back...the lure of home is strong, and your mentor asking you to come home is strong...but others who actually know him don't think he will. I don't expect he'll ever coach in the Dome unless it's in an NCAA regional.

It wouldn't shock me if Mike came back...the lure of home is strong, and your mentor asking you to come home is strong...but others who actually know him don't think he will. I don't expect he'll ever coach in the Dome unless it's in an NCAA regional.
Sadly I think Hop is gone.
He has the easier conference and he is getting talent to Washington.
Expectations will be a lot lower there.

I believe my feelings were: great guy, strong recruiter, jury is out on if he can coach -but it’s stupid to try to judge that on a stint in the middle of the season coaching somebody else’s team.
This was exactly what I thought too - but I also remember thinking the best move was for JB to coach for a few more years and keep the ship steady. I'd post more but I have to go eat my humble pie.

What a load a bunk. wanted Hopkins...he bled orange and paid his dues. Anyone paying attention knew he was a super recruiter for us as well. He came in and steered the ship for a couple of games. What exactly did people expect him to do? Play man? Run a different offense? Seriously?

First class man all the way.

That ship has sailed once and for all. I wish I knew what our future held but it’s anyone’s guess who our next HC will be. If Red sticks around I do think he is the leading contender.

Why would he come back - currently he has a much easier league to win in. He clearly can get players to go there. The school has deeper pockets and no tradition so the pressure is much less and he can create his own legacy.

Why would he come back - currently he has a much easier league to win in. He clearly can get players to go there. The school has deeper pockets and no tradition so the pressure is much less and he can create his own legacy.
Only reason I could see Hop coming back would be like Roy Williams in 2003.
It’s his Alma mater and we put the full court press and do everything short of bending the knee and begging. Then Hop might have his emotions tugged to the degree he can’t say no.

However honestly I don’t think SU AD will do that and I don’t know Hop but he seems like an extremely loyal dude and Washington has been good to him.
I don’t think he is the next HC but if the next HC struggled maybe we could Roy Williams beg him.

Remember Roy turned down UNC the first time in 2001. He wanted to coach Henrich and Collison and didn’t leave Kansas till they graduated.

Again, his wife is from here.

If Hop said he'd come back for the 2020-202+ season, would you give JB the boot after this season?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom