Maybe Rutgers is NYC's team... | Syracusefan.com

Maybe Rutgers is NYC's team...

jr4750

All American
This stat taken from an article posted by OE's this morning...

How can this be? TGD has work yet to be done!

A detailed New York Times study of the 210 television markets found that New York has about 3 million
college football fans, and 20.9 percent of those chose Rutgers as their favorite team. That’s almost equal to those naming Notre Dame (9.2 percent),Penn State (6.4) and UConn (5.2) combined.

And on Friday night, the Rutgers-Louisville game on ESPN2drew twice the number of New York City viewers as Syracuse’s upset of West Virginia, which ESPN televised. Rutgers has been part of four of the five highest-rated games in New York City on both ESPN and ESPN2.

Television market vs City.

Haven't we learned yet those are 2 very different things?

Might as well include Onondaga, Oswego and the other surrounding counties into that "survey" and those "ratings".

It's a marketing campaign. "Turn your TV to ESPN and leave it on for 3 hours, get a free night's stay in one of our luxurious on-campus beds."

This is such a non-story, even if there are N morons in NYC who choose to watch that crap, whatever N may be.

The "NY Television Market" contains about half of Jersey.

There aren't numbers available which break down just NYC alone.

A detailed New York Times study of the 210 television markets found that New York has about 3 million
college football fans, and 20.9 percent of those chose Rutgers as their favorite team. That’s almost equal to those naming Notre Dame (9.2 percent),Penn State (6.4) and UConn (5.2) combined.

And on Friday night, the Rutgers-Louisville game on ESPN2drew twice the number of New York City viewers as Syracuse’s upset of West Virginia, which ESPN televised. Rutgers has been part of four of the five highest-rated games in New York City on both ESPN and ESPN2.

eh, it was posted already and the stats are horribly flawed. Hell, it has Eastern Michigan as Montana's team.

Here is the truth for why our game was on ESPN and their game on ESPN2:

National Nielsen TV for Both Games:
  • Syracuse vs. West Virginia: 2.2 million, 0.7 rating
  • Rutgers vs. Louisville: 1.4 million, 0.4 rating
If it was all about NY Metro DMA, they'd be fine... all of North Jersey is in the NY Metro DMA... but conferences don't negotiate TV rights on single city DMA's only... They look at aggregate national ratings and the pull each school offers when adding teams and it's a major reason for why we got the ACC invite.

Good for them. Their NYC fans can have fun watching them in the MAC

This has been discussed. The methods the times uses is flawed.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Good for them. Their NYC fans can have fun watching them in the MAC
Exactly, SU as New York's College Team was in part started to get us into a secure conference in the next round of expansion. Rutgers can be NY's team as long as we are in the ACC and Rutgers is in no man's land.

That poll as posted a couple weeks ago. Dig down into the data and you'll see it is flawed in many ways. Completely bogus survey that used hits on some social network or something. If you didn't know about it, you wouldn't even go there. It wasn't any study. For all we know the ballot got stuffed by rutgers fans that heard about the "survey". Actually call 3M people in NYC (NOT NJ) and ask them who their favorite team is. It won't be rutgers by a long shot. Also, if I remember correctly (and it's the same NYT survey I'm thinking of), it had Troy University with more fans than Alabama.

The Friday game data is very misleading too. Stupid people will say it is NYC data while smart people know it is NYC DMA which includes 6M people in NJ near and around rutgers. The ACC falls in the smart people group. The rutgers fans, their admins and some writers fall in the stupid group. and keep trying to use it as proof that rutgers is popular in NYC.

First of all the NYT was an Internet pol ... not a scientific poll based on drawing a sample and asking questions. We have all seen polls on the net where one fan base gets excited and skews the results horribly. The methodolgy on this pool is so screwed up no one with any knowledge of statistics would give it any credence.

Secondly, the important part about the TV results from Friday aren't that RU had twice as many viewers as SU, but rather that the audience to college football in NY/NJ is very small. That's why the Big Ten, The Big 12 and the ACC aren't interested.

Here's my own unscientific poll. Eight years ago, I was in a Sports Authority store (or another similar store) in Lawrenceville, NJ, 20+ miles from the RU campus.

There was a lot of college sports apparel there. Notre Dame, Penn State, UNC, UVA, Michigan, Villanova Princeton and even Syracuse.

There wasn't a single item of Rutgers gear in the entire store. Not sweat shirt. Not a T-shirt, not even a hat. And this was 20 miles down US 1 from New Brunswick.

I trust the good people at Sports Authority to understand and profit from the interest in colleges playing intercollegiate sports infinitely more that some Internet poll.

Here's my unsceintific poll:
DM seems to be recruiting the city better than Rutgers
We are in the ACC and Rutgers is not.
The rest is just white noise.

dewey_defeats_truman.jpg

The "NY Television Market" contains about half of Jersey.

There aren't numbers available which break down just NYC alone.
It actually encompasses nearly 80% of the states' population.

Were you absent from class the day we discussed this poll when it first came out? As Bees said, this was an internet poll which also had Uconn having more fans than Oregon and Ga Tech with more fans than UGA. It was utter nonsense.

Regarding Friday night's ratings, this has also already been discussed. The Northern part of NJ is in the NYC DMA. If they don't have higher ratings then us in their own state, they might as well just shut down the program. Obviously their bigger numbers in their own state skew the number to make it look like NYC cares.

The remainder of the NYC DMA, if we were to break it down, wouldn't care about Rutgers even a little bit. Westchester, LI, and NYC could care less about Rutgers football. They also care very little for Syracuse football (slightly more than Rutgers though).

Now can we stop re-hashing this, especially considering we are ACC bound and they are not?

The Rutgers poll is nothing different than the Liberty Mutual COTY poll that has Mark Hudspeth from Louisiana-Lafayette in 4th.

Here is the truth for why our game was on ESPN and their game on ESPN2:

National Nielsen TV for Both Games:
  • Syracuse vs. West Virginia: 2.2 million, 0.7 rating
  • Rutgers vs. Louisville: 1.4 million, 0.4 rating
If it was all about NY Metro DMA, they'd be fine... all of North Jersey is in the NY Metro DMA... but conferences don't negotiate TV rights on single city DMA's only... They look at aggregate national ratings and the pull each school offers when adding teams and it's a major reason for why we got the ACC invite.

good info...

Btw: that article included a statement by RU AD that Rutgers was confident in the future and quite possibly aware of a future invite by the b10 because of their strong NYC presence. All in all it was very infuriating...

Were you absent from class the day we discussed this poll when it first came out? As Bees said, this was an internet poll which also had Uconn having more fans than Oregon and Ga Tech with more fans than UGA. It was utter nonsense.

Regarding Friday night's ratings, this has also already been discussed. The Northern part of NJ is in the NYC DMA. If they don't have higher ratings then us in their own state, they might as well just shut down the program. Obviously their bigger numbers in their own state skew the number to make it look like NYC cares.

The remainder of the NYC DMA, if we were to break it down, wouldn't care about Rutgers even a little bit. Westchester, LI, and NYC could care less about Rutgers football. They also care very little for Syracuse football (slightly more than Rutgers though).

Now can we stop re-hashing this, especially considering we are ACC bound and they are not?
I was absent, I'm sorry. Been in Europe without internet access for the last 3 weeks... Been wonderful actually... Sorry if I brought up a previous discussed topic...

That poll as posted a couple weeks ago. Dig down into the data and you'll see it is flawed in many ways. Completely bogus survey that used hits on some social network or something. If you didn't know about it, you wouldn't even go there. It wasn't any study. For all we know the ballot got stuffed by rutgers fans that heard about the "survey". Actually call 3M people in NYC (NOT NJ) and ask them who their favorite team is. It won't be rutgers by a long shot. Also, if I remember correctly (and it's the same NYT survey I'm thinking of), it had Troy University with more fans than Alabama.

The Friday game data is very misleading too. Stupid people will say it is NYC data while smart people know it is NYC DMA which includes 6M people in NJ near and around rutgers. The ACC falls in the smart people group. The rutgers fans, their admins and some writers fall in the stupid group. and keep trying to use it as proof that rutgers is popular in NYC.
sorry, as I mentioned to Cuseman78, been away from the inventions of man for the past few weeks. Missed this thread...

That was NOT a scientific poll. Anyone on the Internet could take part in that poll. Some Jersey State fan found it and let the other greaseballs know about it and they loaded the results in their favor.

Hey guys, was that New York Times survey scientifically accurate? Just curious.

I believe that survey was sexually accurate, but not scientifically accurate.

YUP YUP!!!I COULD CARE LESS WHO OWNS NYC!!!I rather us NOT own it.I rather OUR games be played IN THE DOME!!!