Maybe Rutgers is NYC's team... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Maybe Rutgers is NYC's team...

Btw: that article included a statement by RU AD that Rutgers was confident in the future and quite possibly aware of a future invite by the b10 because of their strong NYC presence. All in all it was very infuriating...

I've wondered why Rutgers is so excited about going to the Big 10. Penn State joined at a time they were a top 5 program; they have struggled to keep up with Ohio State and have not been the dominant program that was originally forecast. If Rutgers joins the Big 10 the wall around the state collapses completely and they join Indiana annually at the bottom of the Big 10. Their basketball program remains irrelevant as it has always been.

I can't really see what the Big 10 gets out of this, either. If they think adding Rutgers gets BTN onto basic cable in NYC, I suspect they will be very disappointed.

Is anyone really buying this? This appears to be a marketing campaign by RU to get out of the BE. You can spin the numbers anyway you want.

I've wondered why Rutgers is so excited about going to the Big 10. Penn State joined at a time they were a top 5 program; they have struggled to keep up with Ohio State and have not been the dominant program that was originally forecast. If Rutgers joins the Big 10 the wall around the state collapses completely and they join Indiana annually at the bottom of the Big 10. .

I completely agree. Rutgers would be mired at the bottom of the Big 10 for eternity.

They would have to hire a different coach, to get the job done in the B1G.

Cuse plays MSG the place is packed. RU plays MSG nobody there, nobody cares. Most Cuse games carried live on SNY in NYC. RU hardly ever. There must be a reason.

Syracuse is NYC's team for basketball. NYC just doesn't have a ton of interest in college football.

People need to get a grip that the nyc dma includes parts of Jersey and CT. It should. I live in CT and work in NYC.

DMA data is not flawed. It's...the DMA.

Whatever. Onward.

Here's a simple real-life exercise. If you are in NYC or live there, just keep an eye out for any college apparel you see worn. You'll see more Syracuse than St. John's and more St. John's than Rutgers. I live in Astoria and I can't remember the last time I saw a Rutgers hat/sweatshirt, etc... I can't remember the last time I went more than a few days without seeing someone with some SU gear, not counting my own friends, etc who went to 'Cuse as well. I'm talking just random strangers.

People are confusing NYC with the NYC DMA (which includes parts of North Jerz). NYC, the actual city, could care less about Rutgers. The same goes for Westchester and Long Island. The part of the NYC DMA that cares about Rutgers is North Jersey (And quite frankly, they don't care all that much)