Mcclung | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Mcclung

Its significant when we go head to head against them and a player would rather go to Seton Hall over Syracuse. It's hard and unbelieveable even saying that.
A) Since SU did not recruit Mcclung they didn't lose him to anybody
B) Which recuits did SU lose the battle for to SH? And the other way around.

A) Since SU did not recruit Mcclung they didn't lose him to anybody
B) Which recuits did SU lose the battle for to SH? And the other way around.
We lost the battle for Taurean Thompson...

Until he decided to leave. :cool:

"He’s not THAT good. He’s good... He won’t be cashing NBA paychecks. Might get a few D-League paydays before going overseas."

by definition you must mean like gerry macnamera then. good but not "THAT good"

Last edited:
The one that’ll be gone tomorrow at noon because they just lost by 20 to Rutgers

Well, you just never know what’s going to happen when those two teams take the court. True heated rivalry where you throw the records out the windows as anything can happen. The PASSION is off the charts. @ Pat Forde

how is it possible that kid had offers from Rutgers, Seton Hall, Boston College and a ton of other small east coast schools and not Syracuse. If he was wearing a Syracuse jersey instead of a Hoyas Jersey he would probably end up being one of my top 10 favorite Cuse players of all time, kid plays with a ton of heart. Crazy we didn't even have an offer on him.
He looks fat or at least chubby. We like lean mean machine type players.

Arguments like this have always seemed nonsensical to me. McClung is a sophomore w/ extensive experience since he played a lot of minutes last year. He also struggled mightily at first, so comparing him to a freshman JGIII is an act of lunacy, IMO.
He IS the better athlete, but JG is a much better shooter & that’ll become more obvious as time goes on.
Besides, our issue is not whether we have a McClung on our team, but rather whether we can DEFEND the McClung’s of the world from torching us. Our backcourt D is abysmal- case in point that PG from OKState who also had a career game against us.
The reflexive need to want every shiny new object we come across this year will get old really, really, fast. With our defense, everyone can appear like a better option than what we have, which is not necessarily true.

Arguments like this have always seemed nonsensical to me. McClung is a sophomore w/ extensive experience since he played a lot of minutes last year. He also struggled mightily at first, so comparing him to a freshman JGIII is an act of lunacy, IMO.
He IS the better athlete, but JG is a much better shooter & that’ll become more obvious as time goes on.
Besides, our issue is not whether we have a McClung on our team, but rather whether we can DEFEND the McClung’s of the world from torching us. Our backcourt D is abysmal- case in point that PG from OKState who also had a career game against us.
The reflexive need to want every shiny new object we come across this year will get old really, really, fast. With our defense, everyone can appear like a better option than what we have, which is not necessarily true.

Yeah. Has nothing to do with Girard.

Cant imagine the hand wringing that would be going on here if Girard was starting and averaging 10 and 5 elsewhere and coming off a 16 point game with 4 3’s.

The guy it will be natural to compare Girard to will be Symir Torrence, who is doing nothing so far at Marquette.

We got Jalen Carey that year. Who was ranked 60th in his class compared to like 250 for Mclung. Carey was also ranked the 7th best CG compared to Mclung being 22nd. You guys cry and moan about not recruiting top 40 players and then cry and moan about us not getting guys outside the top 200 that end up doing good. Pick one side and stick with it and stop being so dang negative. It’s annoying

Yup. And that’s why we are not good Carey and similar ranked recruits are unplayable. Take Buddy who’s closer to a walkon and Girard whos also something of a special case being ranked lower but huge HS scorer after we’ve passed on very similar NY state players like Jimmer and Heurter because we didn’t have one more scholarship and tell me what we are getting on the court from the other 5/6 scholarship players last two classes?

Nothing or rather less than nothing they seem to make a mistake per minute. Not sure you can find any case of a team having 2 years of recruiting classes that were ranked pretty high show up and be so bad.

I think we should push a good amount of guys out the door and become transfer U last 2 years of JB. Then give his replacement a blank slate lots of open schollies no expectations.

The only players from the last 2 classes I can see improving are Buddy and Girard.

Yup. And that’s why we are not good Carey and similar ranked recruits are unplayable. Take Buddy who’s closer to a walkon and Girard whos also something of a special case being ranked lower but huge HS scorer after we’ve passed on very similar NY state players like Jimmer and Heurter because we didn’t have one more scholarship and tell me what we are getting on the court from the other 5/6 scholarship players last two classes?

Nothing or rather less than nothing they seem to make a mistake per minute. Not sure you can find any case of a team having 2 years of recruiting classes that were ranked pretty high show up and be so bad.

I think we should push a good amount of guys out the door and become transfer U last 2 years of JB. Then give his replacement a blank slate lots of open schollies no expectations.

The only players from the last 2 classes I can see improving are Buddy and Girard.

Disagree. Not sure how you can call it this early on guys like Guerrier and Goodine as far as improving. It’s mid December of their freshman year! I’m high on Edwards too. Think this will turn out to be a strong class and we should have a good team in Buddy’s senior year IMO.

Yeah, this is really jumping the gun on your part. Goodine, Guerrier, Edwards, and Braswell, if he sticks around, will all be markedly better w/ time. You’re gonna end up eating your words, IMO.

He said significance! Neither school you mentioned is.

Once he received his Gtown offer he almost immediately committed and shut down his recruitment. Big reason why he didn’t get other offers. Very similar to a Devito type scenario

Once he received his Gtown offer he almost immediately committed and shut down his recruitment. Big reason why he didn’t get other offers. Very similar to a Devito type scenario
He committed to Rutgers then 2 days after decommitting, he committed to Georgetown. According to McClung after decommitting from Rutgers he received ‘offers and interest from Boston College, Seton Hall, Clemson, Maryland, Wichita State, Tennessee, Stanford, Boise State, ETSU and Marshall’.