McCord - ESPN comparison | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

McCord - ESPN comparison

DJ is mediocre, putting him top 5 and over Kyle is ludicrous
Well he cracked at Clemson, went to probably the lowest stress P4 you could find, then is going into a major pressure cooker at FSU. And his stats weren’t out of this world at Oregon St. I don’t see it.

It’s like in the 80’s or 90’s when I used to follow baseball a lot more and the Yanks would sign or trade for some good player from a small market that would flop in the big apple due to the pressure.

I agree, the easy schedule is really nice in Fran's first year. But I still wish one of those games was swapped out with a lower level P4 game. Not having one P4 team on the out of conference schedule just looks a bit ridiculous and probably just results in nationwide bashing and lower rankings for us.

What compounds it is we don't play many of the best teams in the conference this year either. But in general top to bottom I think the ACC is going to be a bit stronger than last year so we don't really have any real easy conference games. Just by looking at the transfer portal rankings for 2024 from 247 below you would think the conference should be improved. Although bringing in Cal, SMU and Stanford doesn't schreme upgrade Cal and SMU have good tranfer rankings. Transfer portal has been a pretty good thing for ACC programs. They provide a lot of immediate improvement. And this list excludes Clemson who doesn't use it and just relies on development and bringing in more high level freshman.

2024 Transfer portal rankings via 247:

7 Fl St
10 Miami
13 Louisville
17 Cal
18 NC St
25 Syracuse
31 SMU
42 Duke
43 * ND
50 Pitt
53 UVA
54 BC
57 UNC
62 GT
79 VT
107 WF
121 Stanford
If an 11-1 SU was left out of the CFP because of a charmin soft schedule I’d say, that’s cool, 11-1 is 11-1 and a great starting point.

This isn’t a team that’s good enough to play for a national championship, so stacking wins is the main objective.

Footnote - not predicting 11-1

If an 11-1 SU was left out of the CFP because of a charmin soft schedule I’d say, that’s cool, 11-1 is 11-1 and a great starting point.

This isn’t a team that’s good enough to play for a national championship, so stacking wins is the main objective.

Footnote - not predicting 11-1

Well - with the expanded playoffs, 11-1 absolutely gets us in.

Well - with the expanded playoffs, 11-1 absolutely gets us in.
Unless SU is clearly dominate and loses a close one I’d put a typical 10-2 SEC or Big10 team ahead of them right now. The schedule would be a big issue.

And I have no problem with it.

Even though the story of why he ended up at Syracuse has been told many times. The media still can’t fathom how a starter at OSU ends up at Syracuse. That is being reflected in his preseason ratings. Fran needs to prove with game results that Syracuse was justified to hire a coach that didn’t have prior experience higher than position coach then the Syracuse perception will change fast. Having said that, McCord shouldn’t be getting this disrespect with his track record in preseason rankings.

Even though the story of why he ended up at Syracuse has been told many times. The media still can’t fathom how a starter at OSU ends up at Syracuse. That is being reflected in his preseason ratings. Fran needs to prove with game results that Syracuse was justified to hire a coach that didn’t have prior experience higher than position coach then the Syracuse perception will change fast. Having said that, McCord shouldn’t be getting this disrespect with his track record in preseason rankings.
I wonder what the pub would have been like had he accepted the $1m plus bag to be Nebraska’s starter this season?

For some reason I think it would be slightly different….

I wonder what the pub would have been like had he accepted the $1m plus bag to be Nebraska’s starter this season?

That's ok as the wins pile up this year and the National Press find out how likable Fran is the talk will change.
An 11-1 SU team will be in the playoff because the tv ratings will dictate it.

Can’t wait to turn some heads. McCord is a stud. We fricking have an 11-1 starting QB from OSU…. Still have to pinch myself. So I don’t care about this silly list, how many QBs on that list have led their teams to 11 regular season wins once?

Absolutely. There is a reason Rhule (who is a good coach) offered him a top teir bag. And remember Rhule knew McCord as a recruit from his days with Fran knowing the Philly/S Jersey vortex.

The Media all had McCord going to Neb during the week leading up to his visit, and during his visit, which tells you they thought McCord was a top teir transfer (at the time) and Neb/Rhule were up and comers with a much stronger ability to land a top teir QB than Cuse. (PS, rule #1, don't mess with the FRANchise)

The talk would be that Nebraska is finally ready to take the next step, probably as a dark horse expanded playoff contender, now that Rhule has had some time to change the culture and nabbed a top teir QB transfer.

In the investing world, we have a saying that 'narrative follows price, not the other way around'. In this case I think this is exactly what is happening. McCord went from a very good, not yet great QB to an average QB (at best) because he picked a team nobody respects (yet).

OSU is about to find out where they are on the FAFO graph when we have a better QB than them this year.

Well he cracked at Clemson, went to probably the lowest stress P4 you could find, then is going into a major pressure cooker at FSU. And his stats weren’t out of this world at Oregon St. I don’t see it.

It’s like in the 80’s or 90’s when I used to follow baseball a lot more and the Yanks would sign or trade for some good player from a small market that would flop in the big apple due to the pressure.

He has slow feet. He's a big strong guy but not that quick, or quick thinking.