McCord's running ability | Syracusefan.com

McCord's running ability

Eric15

Living Legend
Disclaimer: I'm very happy that McCord is our starter.

Is his lack of running ability a concern? He ran for -65 yards last year (which in college factors in sack losses), zero rushing TDs, and his longest run the entire 2023 season was 9 yards. Did he have an injury that I'm drawing a blank on where the coaches told him not to run?

I know he's not going to be Dungey or Garrett and instead will primarily win games with his arm, but I'm hoping in 2024 he can decisively take off for first downs when the opportunity presents itself.

If you watch some of his highlights, there is the occasional scramble and maybe a option run for like 3-5 yards. There's no designed plays of him running nor will there be (maybe a game plan thing vs a particular team, they add a play, you know). Nothing permanent.

Honestly, unless there's a window and that's the only option, he isn't running.

Is his lack of running ability a concern? He ran for -65 yards last year (which in college factors in sack losses), zero rushing TDs, and his longest run the entire 2023 season was 9 yards. Did he have an injury that I'm drawing a blank on where the coaches told him not to run?

I know he's not going to be Dungey or Garrett and instead will primarily win games with his arm, but I'm hoping in 2024 he can decisively take off for first downs when the opportunity presents itself.
He had an ankle injury that hampered him most of the season.

It required surgery, which he had not long afterward the season ended. Was still in a boot when he first arrived on our campus.

That said, I do not think he is known for his running and I would not expect Syracuse to run any option plays this season.

I would not expect Syracuse to run any option plays this season.
It's amazing given how much we used the QB as a runningback that McPherson, Graves, Womack, Mason, and McNabb were never sidelined for more than a few plays here and there. That's a span of about 13 years. The worst I can recall is Graves and McNabb puking and wasting timeouts to keep them in the game.

i'm ok with all of this, but historically our success has come from mobile QB's.

Ryan Nassib begs to differ.

McCord is like Nassib, with all the passing abilities turned up to 10/10.
And he's got waaaay more talented WRs (numerically) than what Nassib had.
Plus stud TE's in OGII & Villari.

I'd say the RB's are maybe a wash, or slight lean towards the 2012 crew -
but lets see how this season plays out.

Mccord isn't a "runner" in a traditional sense, but what he does well is slide in the pocket. One interesting tidbit listening to OL interviews this spring is how many times I heard "We never knew where Garrett was." It can be more difficult blocking for a running QB who likes to leave the pocket. The nice thing about our roster is we have a lot of safety nets for dump offs whether it is Allen, Willis, OG, or Villari.

Ryan Nassib begs to differ.

McCord is like Nassib, with all the passing abilities turned up to 10/10.
And he's got waaaay more talented WRs (numerically) than what Nassib had.
Plus stud TE's in OGII & Villari.

I'd say the RB's are maybe a wash, or slight lean towards the 2012 crew -
but lets see how this season plays out.
let's hope.

Mccord isn't a "runner" in a traditional sense, but what he does well is slide in the pocket. One interesting tidbit listening to OL interviews this spring is how many times I heard "We never knew where Garrett was." It can be more difficult blocking for a running QB who likes to leave the pocket. The nice thing about our roster is we have a lot of safety nets for dump offs whether it is Allen, Willis, OG, or Villari.

This is very important

I talked to a starter first hand on our OL from last year and said basically this.

I think we are going to see much better OL play multiple levels….

McCord is a pocket passer, not a runner.

He moves around well to avoid pressure in the pocket. He also keeps his eyes up to complete passes after moving around.

Last edited:
First play from line of scrimmage this year? QB power dive
Direct snap to Allen, and then QB toss sweep to the weak side.

Gotta keep em guessing!

This is very important

I talked to a starter first hand on our OL from last year and said basically this.

I think we are going to see much better OL play multiple levels….
No doubt the OL would prefer to form a predictable pocket, but we (message board wizards) all decided that only a scrambling QB could be successful at Syracuse because of our OL deficiencies.
The truth is probably in the middle, but one thing for sure, we were always left with a 2nd or 3rd string QB by the end of the season. (Or maybe a crippled first teamer).
Let's see how playing it conventional works for us this year. (Hopefully great!)