McCullough officially coming back | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

McCullough officially coming back

So no CMc in Atlantis tourney. Probably out for November games.

I'd be surprised if it actually took him that long to get back into games. I'm thinking this may be a conservative timetable.

This is great news/confirmation.

McCullough is a serious talent - the kind that almost never stay in college more than 1 year. We just so happen to have gotten "lucky" with his injury. What other 6-10 forwards that run the floor like Chris & have his natural ability ever stay multiple years? It's very rare, unless they are severely raw still. I don't think that applies to Chris.

Since his season was such a dichotomy between his good play early vs poor play late, it will be interesting to see which is more indicative of how he will play next year:

Will we get the Chris from the first 8 games?
One that averaged 14.4 ppg, 8.8 rpg, 2.4 bpg in 34.5 mpg and was a real difference maker (every single game in double-figures for points...including 3 double-doubles...and put up 20 pts, 9 rebs vs good comp in Iowa)?

Or will we get the Chris from the last 8 games?
One that averaged 4.3 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 1.8 bpg in 21.8 mpg?

If it's the impact player Chris, then watch out...that's the type of player that can propel a team to the Final Four. Chris has that type of talent, IMO. You don't see a freshman come in and average those kinds of numbers (1st 8 games) very often & return to school for another year. Only guys I can think of may be guys like Al Farouq Aminu, Lamarcus Aldridge, Perry Jones...

I have some high hopes that Chris may be among the most talented returning players in the country next year & I do think his play the first 8 games is relevant in at least determining the kind of potential Chris has.

OttoinGrotto said:
Jekelish, I'm impressed by the quantity of writing you're doing.

And I'm impressed with the articles all his writing is promoting. :)

at the risk of posting this in the wrong forum...
wouldn't this be a fairly good indication that there is no postseason ban for next year? I mean, wouldn't CM want to be sure of that before he commits to coming back?
Allright let's settle down with the optimism.

Best recruit since Carmelo, coming back for year two.

Good call. No original content whatsoever.

Sorry man - that post came out wrong (and just a bit too vague). I was just making a joke about how often you post here with links to your articles. It's a good thing. I enjoy them all.

I'd be surprised if it actually took him that long to get back into games. I'm thinking this may be a conservative timetable.
Agreed, I think he'll be back for Atlantis. It's late in November (11/25-11/27), so hopefully staying in Cuse for the summer to rehab will make it possible. Let's start another streak like Maui where we win a tourney everytime we go.

Good for Chris, hopefully he's able to work hard and heal quickly.

And learn to enjoy dunking the ball when he's at the rim.

With the development of Roberson and McCullough coming back we have some quality bigs! I just hope that at least one of them develops a consistent jump shot!

Really Random Thought (while checking out some previous posting activity)...

Forgot that there was a period of time in early 2015 when, as post says, we thought Chris McCullough was returning for the 2015-2016 season.

Question: considering how that season played out for SU (made run to final four, lost to UNC in Semifinal 83-66), if Chris McCullough did not leave for NBA draft, would SU have won it all?

:)

Forgot that there was a period of time in early 2015 when, as post says, we thought Chris McCullough was returning for the 2015-2016 season.

Question: considering how that season played out for SU (made run to final four, lost to UNC in Semifinal 83-66), if Chris McCullough did not leave for NBA draft, would SU have won it all?

Really difficult question to answer since, if McCullough had come back, we would have ended up a higher seed and taken a completely different path through the tourney.

If McCollugh comes back, Lydon doesn't do what he does.

It's hard to say. McCollugh might have been chucking a lot too

If McCullough returned, we probably don't end up a #10 seed or in the same region with the same matchups, and we probably don't make a Final Four run. However, this lineup would've been fun:

1) Gbinije
2) Cooney
3) Richardson
4) Lydon
5) McCullough

Bench of Howard, Roberson, Coleman

If McCullough returned, we probably don't end up a #10 seed or in the same region with the same matchups, and we probably don't make a Final Four run. However, this lineup would've been fun:

1) Gbinije
2) Cooney
3) Richardson
4) Lydon
5) McCullough

Bench of Howard, Roberson, Coleman
Without Roberson pulling a “Dennis Rodman”, we don’t make a run to the Final4.
I don’t think McCullough had it in him to be that effective- especially on defense & rebounding. More offense yes, but we had plenty already w/ Cooney, G, Malachi, & Lydon.