McCullough traded to Wizards | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

McCullough traded to Wizards

I'd go anytime I thought I would go round 1, if you are good enough you'll get the second contract if you aren't won't happen, college is irrelevant as it's a detriment to stay after two years. I think mcollough was a kid that had a serious knee injury and saw he wasn't made of Steel for first time on his young life, he did right thing. At the end of day, who is going to look out for his best interest. JB? That's almost beyond rich. Nobody gives a rats ass what happens to these guys, they are cattle, anytime they can get the $$ and maybe move forward with a 2nd cont act they need too, it's betting on themselves and are they willing to put the work in?

If you were from an impoverished background with a young child and family to support, and had the skills to get drafted and paid by an NBA team, what would you do?
If you were from a middle- or upper-class background, with no financial liabilities, and apple offered you a contract after your freshman year, what would you do?

If you were from an impoverished background with a young child and family to support, and had the skills to get drafted and paid by an NBA team, what would you do?

I don't know what I would do, but I would listen to the people around me who know a little something about the draft process.

Not always. There's only so many spots. Lots of talented players don't make it and there's not a whole lot of difference between them and a lot of the guys who do in terms of talent. Finding the right team and opportunity doesn't always happen. Being healthy. Being given a crack at a time when you're really playing well, etc.

Look at Yogi Farrell this year for the best example.

If you were from a middle- or upper-class background, with no financial liabilities, and apple offered you a contract after your freshman year, what would you do?

Depends on pay

Depends on pay
$300k signing bonus and 5 year/$2m contract. Other option is staying in school and coding for a prof and maybe developing something that he and SU patents. Go?

Look at Yogi Farrell this year for the best example.

Isaiah Thomas was the last pick in the draft. If he never gets a real crack to prove he can play, who knows where he is?

I will say this I am glad McCollough got drafted in the first round. I do think his decision to go was suspect just for this reason he had a torn ACL.
Elite prospects like Nerlens Noel fell from potential first pick to sixth pick because of the ACL injury.
Kids don't in the first round with ACL injuries. CMAC wanted to go which is fine but because he got hurt it killed his stock.
He is now a project and his first team gave up on him.
I hope he sticks as he had every right to leave but I wish he left when he was healthy. Leaving when he did hurt him.

Teams so quick to trade guys in 2nd or 3rd year who they drafted for "upside" "potential" blah blah blah. Welcome to the Nba Chris, so tough to stick.

a low first round rookie contract is easy to trade. also shows what brooklyn thinks of him

Tyler Hansborough - or however he spells it - stayed 4, got better, still playing.

CMAC couldn't finish down low, he was a flyer for a horrible franchise. Getting better seems to be beyond a lot of people.

I'd hold out for Google.

Tyler Hansborough - or however he spells it - stayed 4, got better, still playing.

CMAC couldn't finish down low, he was a flyer for a horrible franchise. Getting better seems to be beyond a lot of people.

That isn't—at all—my point. And two examples don't prove much, when there are a lot of successful NBAers who didn't attend a single college class.

The point was to do with the characterization of this as being an issue with 'the underprivileged' making bad decisions. I'm just suggesting that if Google or Apple came to campus, to recruit coder/designer phenoms, and wanted Jill Suburbia because she exhibited the kind of potential they thought they could exploit, it wouldn't be such a ridiculous thing for that kid to jump early, to realize a childhood dream as early as possible. Especially if there were a ton of other coders/designers who had done the same thing. Heck, if Vogue had offered me a contract, I'da taken my talents to NYC rather than take three more years to finish a Psych degree i am still not using (except when dealing with knuckleheads on this board...).

The other thing, though, with athletes, is that they're only successful if they have a competitive drive, and an ego that allows them to believe they can succeed. None of those kids that go early think they're going to be washed-up early. As we are seeing every day, ego-slash-narcissism is a double-edged sword, but it can carry folks quite a ways.

Very tough to crack that Nets lineup.

That isn't—at all—my point. And two examples don't prove much, when there are a lot of successful NBAers who didn't attend a single college class.

The point was to do with the characterization of this as being an issue with 'the underprivileged' making bad decisions. I'm just suggesting that if Google or Apple came to campus, to recruit coder/designer phenoms, and wanted Jill Suburbia because she exhibited the kind of potential they thought they could exploit, it wouldn't be such a ridiculous thing for that kid to jump early, to realize a childhood dream as early as possible. Especially if there were a ton of other coders/designers who had done the same thing. Heck, if Vogue had offered me a contract, I'da taken my talents to NYC rather than take three more years to finish a Psych degree i am still not using (except when dealing with knuckleheads on this board...).

The other thing, though, with athletes, is that they're only successful if they have a competitive drive, and an ego that allows them to believe they can succeed. None of those kids that go early think they're going to be washed-up early. As we are seeing every day, ego-slash-narcissism is a double-edged sword, but it can carry folks quite a ways.

You asked if a kid who didn't need to leave would leave. TH is a pretty high profile example of that.

On our side we had a kid leave early who already basically got recruited over (on a crappy team) instead of being a college sophomore. And those Euro salaries aren't that sweet either.

NBA and all pro leagues are about winning now. Coach doesn't win he's gone. Development is a myth. Well maybe you get 1 month to develop. CM gets to cash the checks for a couple more years, an equitable arrangement for him.

What is the draft about?

furthermore if you're afraid of dropping in the draft ... then bottom line is you ain't that good to begin with.
Which reinforces the fact that you should take the guarenteeed money offered to you as soon as possible, lest you're flaws be uncovered.

Scenario 1. You're not as good as you think (but others see potential) but you still try to get better by staying in school. Staying in school revels to you, and everyone else that indeed you weren't as good as you thought and the potential went unrealized - paycheck = minimal

Scenario 2. You're not as good as you think (but others see potential) but enter the draft because you think you're ready. NBA quickly reveals that indeed you weren't as good as you thought and you failed to improve enough to live up to potential. - paycheck = a few million

Both Scenerios start with you not being as good as you thought, even though people can see potential, and end with not living up to expectations (yours and others). But in one scenario you get paid and in the other you don't.

Moral of the story is the worse player you are, the more beneficial it is to jump if the league is dumb enough to pay you based on potential.

Go back to school and start life with a couple of million in the bank, not a bad way to start life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom