McCullough traded to Wizards | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

McCullough traded to Wizards

You asked if a kid who didn't need to leave would leave. TH is a pretty high profile example of that.

On our side we had a kid leave early who already basically got recruited over (on a crappy team) instead of being a college sophomore. And those Euro salaries aren't that sweet either.

Whoa whoa whoa - when did we "recruit over" Chris McCullough? Do we know where those guys went or why they never suited up for us?

I get people are frustrated with players leaving early and the impact it has had on our win/loss record but some of these arguments are just getting laughable at this point. I mean let's review:
  • The guy came from a rough upbringing
  • had a first round guarantee to make millions from his hometown team
  • a new born baby on the way to provide for
  • just saw an injury that seriously threatened his ability that puts him at the top 1% in the world at what he does to change the fortunes for his family.

So he could either:

A) take the guaranteed millions while it was there, move back to his hometown and start taking care of his family while rehabbing at a professional organization and bet on himself to get better with around the year training and top notch facilities

or

B) stay in poverty for at minimum another 12 months while trying to take care of his newborn baby in a college dorm, risk having a poor year or god forbid get hurt again and have his chance at the NBA take a major hit.

The other piece everyone is leaving out is he didn't even take the court again until January or February so not sure how much he drastically improves his draft stock by playing in 10-15 games with the rust of having a year off. So now we're talking another 12 months of putting off millions and we all know how your draft stock takes a hit in each passing year.

The point was to do with the characterization of this as being an issue with 'the underprivileged' making bad decisions. I'm just suggesting that if Google or Apple came to campus, to recruit coder/designer phenoms, and wanted Jill Suburbia because she exhibited the kind of potential they thought they could exploit, it wouldn't be such a ridiculous thing for that kid to jump early, to realize a childhood dream as early as possible. Especially if there were a ton of other coders/designers who had done the same thing. Heck, if Vogue had offered me a contract, I'da taken my talents to NYC rather than take three more years to finish a Psych degree i am still not using (except when dealing with knuckleheads on this board...).

I don't think the Apple/Google/Vogue analogies work. Those examples are for people who can expect to earn a living in their chosen field for around 45 years after college. For the elite basketball player, the window is probably 10-12 years and then you have to figure out how to support yourself for the next 40 years of your life. The way the NBA rookie contracts are structured, there isn't that much money getting paid to non-lottery guys during that contract, plus that money is taxed at a really high rate. That said, every year you spend in college is one year of a limited number of years during which you can play basketball at a high level and get paid for it.

Say a player makes $10 million, you can assume the government takes $4M off the top, and then subtract out living expenses for the life of that contract (and even frugal guys will want a nice house and car), and there's just not a ton of money left over for the rest of your life. So the pure economic play is to do whatever is most likely to get you a lucrative second contract, whether it's stay in school and improve/mature, or get into the league and start the clock ticking on that first contract.

On the other hand, if a player aspires to have a workaday job when his playing career is over, it's not as big a worry to get to the second contract and make enough so you never have to work again. And if you're Tyler Ennis, and basically were not likely to get better, get into the league before they figure that out.

Whoa whoa whoa - when did we "recruit over" Chris McCullough? Do we know where those guys went or why they never suited up for us?

I get people are frustrated with players leaving early and the impact it has had on our win/loss record but some of these arguments are just getting laughable at this point. I mean let's review:
  • just saw an injury that seriously threatened his ability that puts him at the top 1% in the world at what he does to change the fortunes for his family.

So he could either:

A) take the guaranteed millions while it was there, move back to his hometown and start taking care of his family while rehabbing at a professional organization and bet on himself to get better with around the year training and top notch facilities

or

B) stay in poverty for at minimum another 12 months while trying to take care of his newborn baby in a college dorm, risk having a poor year or god forbid get hurt again and have his chance at the NBA take a major hit.

The other piece everyone is leaving out is he didn't even take the court again until January or February so not sure how much he drastically improves his draft stock by playing in 10-15 games with the rust of having a year off. So now we're talking another 12 months of putting off millions and we all know how your draft stock takes a hit in each passing year.
That is the definitive analysis of McCullough's situation and should be re-posted every time someone starts a thread whining about and questioning his decision to leave.

So he could either:

or

I was referring to Malachi after the Sacramento-NO trade.

I don't think the Apple/Google/Vogue analogies work. Those examples are for people who can expect to earn a living in their chosen field for around 45 years after college. For the elite basketball player, the window is probably 10-12 years and then you have to figure out how to support yourself for the next 40 years of your life. The way the NBA rookie contracts are structured, there isn't that much money getting paid to non-lottery guys during that contract, plus that money is taxed at a really high rate. That said, every year you spend in college is one year of a limited number of years during which you can play basketball at a high level and get paid for it.

Say a player makes $10 million, you can assume the government takes $4M off the top, and then subtract out living expenses for the life of that contract (and even frugal guys will want a nice house and car), and there's just not a ton of money left over for the rest of your life. So the pure economic play is to do whatever is most likely to get you a lucrative second contract, whether it's stay in school and improve/mature, or get into the league and start the clock ticking on that first contract.

On the other hand, if a player aspires to have a workaday job when his playing career is over, it's not as big a worry to get to the second contract and make enough so you never have to work again. And if you're Tyler Ennis, and basically were not likely to get better, get into the league before they figure that out.

Well, jeez. It wasn't meant to be a perfect analogy. Just a representation of how an 18-year old might think.
Besides that, the NBA contract is likely to be at a higher rate, so a difference in total workable years is negated. And, since not one person i currently know over the age of 45 is still working in the same job they took after college, and more than 3/4 are in different fields altogether, it's moot again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom