McDonald demoted | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

McDonald demoted

IF this is true and GM has been demoted, I just don't see ANY benefit in making this decision public knowledge and humiliating him in the process. It's difficult to imagine that GM will choose to stay on this staff if this is true. And it's just as difficult to imagine his recruits from Florida staying with their commitments.

Why go public?

Not sure he wanted it to go public.

Clearly this is related to ISIS.

IF this is true and GM has been demoted, I just don't see ANY benefit in making this decision public knowledge and humiliating him in the process. It's difficult to imagine that GM will choose to stay on this staff if this is true. And it's just as difficult to imagine his recruits from Florida staying with their commitments.

Why go public?

probably because hcss is getting killed I the media and feeling some heat. We have 1 passing TD, that is unacceptable. He had to make a change to show that he isn't a moron. This board wanted GMac and Hunt gone, well you got it. Lets all pray AW is Matt Saracen

Why go public?
I'm not sure how this could be kept under wraps come Saturday. It would be pretty obvious who is wearing the headset up in the booth, and the players would know who is calling the plays.

Not sure he wanted it to go public.

Clearly this is related to ISIS.

Yup

All kidding aside, the decision to demote AND go public is an aggressively decisive move at mid season. It could certainly accelerate the process of finding out if SS has what it takes to be a HC.

Why go public?

Agreed. Just the latest in a series of botched program delivery this season.

I find this hard to believe, particularly with the timing which is incredibly poor.

1.4 seasons after making a bowl you wait til after the season, if true bad decision to do it now. There is no magic bullet, Lester wont get much more production. And kiss Eduardo goodby to.

I'm not sure how this could be kept under wraps come Saturday. It would be pretty obvious who is wearing the headset up in the booth, and the players would know who is calling the plays.

Regardless of how "obvious" it might be, there is a huge difference between "wearing the the headset" and handling this discretely. There is NO advantage to telling the press, unless you want to make sure that you cuts ties with GM.

It sounds if they are going to start AJ as well not Wilson

I actually really like AJ's long term potential. My main concern wouldn't be his inexperience or his lack of mastery of the playbook--it would be that he weighs about 170. That, coupled with what will undoubtedly be some first time playing jitters, might get him in some bad spots. I hope he doesn't end up getting hurt due to being relatively physically underdeveloped at this stage of his developmental curve.

Regardless, I don't think that FSU is an ideal game to make a debut. Would hate to shatter the kid's confidence in his first start.

Agreed. Just the latest in a series of botched program delivery this season.

I disagree. They made a bold move and are honest about it. The recruits would find out anyways and when they did how would they react then? This staff is suppose to be close and working as a team. SS felt they needed to make a move and GM took a demotion, that is what a team does...the best plays. GM struggled now it literally is the next man up, the staff is accountable and proving it with their actions.

probably because hcss is getting killed I the media and feeling some heat. We have 1 passing TD, that is unacceptable. He had to make a change to show that he isn't a moron. This board wanted GMac and Hunt gone, well you got it. Lets all pray AW is Matt Saracen

Anybody who wanted Hunt gone is crazy. This season was never about Lville, FSU, ND, Clemson. And Hunt was more than good enough to play every other team on the schedule.

Best move Shafer has made as a HC. Just my opinion but best two assistants on this team are Lester and Daoust. You may see both as coordinators next year

We'll see. It srikes me as desperate as opposed to strategic. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. If the season tanks from this point, well, it will certainly be questioned. It's decisive--I'll grant you that.

I actually really like AJ's long term potential. My main concern wouldn't be his inexperience or his lack of mastery of the playbook--it would be that he weighs about 170. That, coupled with what will undoubtedly be some first time playing jitters, might get him in some bad spots. I hope he doesn't end up getting hurt due to being relatively physically underdeveloped at this stage of his developmental curve.

Regardless, I don't think that FSU is an ideal game to make a debut. Would hate to shatter the kid's confidence in his first start.

You're right RF, very tough first start but what I'd tell him is that it gets better from here because you are facing the #1 team in the nation. Let's see how mentally tough this young man is if he indeed is QB1 on Saturday.

Does Scott Shafer strike you as the kind of guy that would throw a friend under the bus because he was feeling heat in the media?

not sure that people wanted him or hunt gone, just wanted the reigns pulled in and the learning curve accelerated---should have been handled differently---we may have started our very own dumpster fire. hcss has a lot to learn in handling sensitive situations.

You're right RF, very tough first start but what I'd tell him is that it gets better from here because you are facing the #1 team in the nation. Let's see how mentally tough this young man is if he indeed is QB1 on Saturday.

Don't get me wrong--I'll support whichever QB we play for the rest of the season. But I could really get excited about AJ Long, if he ends up being the guy. Been a big fan of this kid's ever since we recruited him. Might be a good way to jump start his development.

So, McDonald has been demoted, Hunt might be out for the season, we're 2-3, and looking at a 5-10, 170 true frosh QB?

Kevin-Bacon-All-is-well-remain-calm-300x273.jpg

Don't get me wrong--I'll support whichever QB we play for the rest of the season. But I could really get excited about AJ Long, if he ends up being the guy. Been a big fan of this kid's ever since we recruited him. Might be a good way to jump start his development.

I like him too and he's accurate and my guess is that FSU is going to play straight up and their corners right in SU's face. Curious to see how the team reacts to this as well.

not sure that people wanted him or hunt gone, just wanted the reigns pulled in and the learning curve accelerated---should have been handled differently---we may have started our very own dumpster fire. hcss has a lot to learn in handling sensitive situations.
this isn't coming from Shafer this from some tweets. I doubt Shafer would make it public but who knows with the way things have been going.

We'll see. It srikes me as desperate as opposed to strategic. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. If the season tanks from this point, well, it will certainly be questioned. It's decisive--I'll grant you that.

It is aggressively decisive and, IMO, will likely define the early career of HCSS - good or bad.

There are two issues. The first is the decision to demote GM. IF true, you have to give SS credit for being decisive and putting his neck on the line. Whether it is the right move or not remains to be seen. But, he apparently has the b@lls to make the call.

The second issue is going public with the move. Not smart. But neither was the tirade at the half in the Clemson game or talking about ISIS.

It does add interest to the FSU game...

The two options for QB are AJ or a two headed monster of Kimble/ Wilson.

Who said anyone went public? This sounds like an unintentional leak. It's not like they issued a press release.
probably correct, nevertheless the hits just keep on rolling with the management end of this team---i sincerely wonder why that is?? it truly puzzles me

You think Lester doesn't know the offense? There's nothing wrong with the playbook. They've been able to move the ball fine.

The issue is what they do in key spots, where F*** it as a philosophy doesn't cut it.
i wonder if that interview had anything to do with it. you just can't have people representing your program like that. it wouldn't have mattered to me because i thought he was doing a terrible job even without that embarrassment but I wonder if it mattered to shafer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom