McNabb DUI | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

McNabb DUI

I think anyone from Western New York (or Central New York, for that matter) knows at least one person who has gotten a DUI. The nature of the culture, unfortunately.

Once is an "accident", twice you deserve to be punished as severely as possible.

My outlook exactly.

I doubt there are many of us on this board who haven't gotten behind the wheel when we were legally impaired. The fact that McNabb did it twice in a short time-frame suggests he has an addiction issue and needs help. He wouldn't be the first ex-athlete who falls into this trap once their career ends. I'm not trying to absolve him of his responsibility, but based on my experience, people with a drinking problem usually don't make rational decisions. I hope he gets the help he needs before he seriously injures or kills someone.

Problem or not he is still an idiot with or without the drinking problem. Plenty of drunks out there who still call for a ride. ( myself being one of them) Addiction has nothing do with it. Such a built in excuse. My bet is he is a guy that likes his cocktails, likes to get after it, however feels above calling for a ride or doesn't want his wife getting after him when he comes home in a cab tanked. Thus, he elects to drive and take the risk. Works for many for years but he got caught not once but twice. Now, instead of admitting he is a self entitled, rich, dink, who has proven to be an idiot, he will blame it on addiction. Easy way out as opposed to telling the world who you really are.

I don't know if this is related but Donovan seemed to get into an unusual number of disputes with people during his career for such an apparently non-controversial person and received little support form the people around him. I always wondered if there was something about his personality that was unattractive that we didn't know about. Now he's being described as "arrogant" because of the DUIs. These things may have no connection but then again...

Absolutely. Why he was put on there b/c he could throw a football was preposterous. The university sells its soul when they try and placate superfluous needs like McNabb as a BOT.

Hopefully with competent administration in place there now we'll see less of this and more Marty Whitman types on the Board.

OK. Time for the AZ lady to chirp in...

Lots of right on comments above.

First of all you just DO NOT drink and drive in this state. Yes it is a very tough state on this issue. I knew it before I even moved here. My son went to college here, and I have to say it is the only place where he took this incredibly seriously. They all know tent city and Sheriff Joe, and the pink underwear. Jail is tent city, not a fun place to be in the summer when it is 115 degrees. Some people I know were able to go to work during the day and report to tent city each night. I don't think that will be Donovan. These were people who had to work.

We do have UBER!!! And it is dirt cheap here. Probably would have been a $5 ride to his house. Drivers are everywhere not just in the touristy areas. PA Orange, I bet you can get an Uber driver even in North Scottsdale. They are everywhere.

He was close to home... call Roxie to pick you up...

yes, you made enough money to hire your own full time driver

ps he did not just hit a car in the rear, it was the wife of a police officer. That will not help his case.

His kids go to a private Christian school, his wife coaches the women's basketball team at said christian school, and his oldest kid is old enough to know that daddy is not setting a good example. In other words...think of your family when you pull these stunts.

Does he have a problem..most likely...and it probably goes way beyond drinking. I am sure it is hard to live life after the football field, especially for a QB who leads a team. Over the years you spend a lot of time away from home, and he does do that during part of the broadcast season, but he is home much more now. He is going through a lot of "life" adjustments, and I just want to say that I DO understand that...so get professional help with this because you are a Syracuse legend. Just act like it, please.

I don't know if this is related but Donovan seemed to get into an unusual number of disputes with people during his career for such an apparently non-controversial person and received little support form the people around him. I always wondered if there was something about his personality that was unattractive that we didn't know about. Now he's being described as "arrogant" because of the DUIs. These things may have no connection but then again...
I agree. It was so weird to me that McNabb seemed to draw attacks for little apparent reason. Maybe it's all related (or not). On the other hand if ones attackers include Rush and TO ... He has said some weird stuff since he retired though.

Yeah, I never understood how the goofy, fun-loving guy we knew from his SU days could be such a magnet for nonsense in the NFL. Over time I really started to wonder if it wasn't just a weird coincidence, but that there was something about him that "caused" it.

Yeah, I never understood how the goofy, fun-loving guy we knew from his SU days could be such a magnet for nonsense in the NFL. Over time I really started to wonder if it wasn't just a weird coincidence, but that there was something about him that "caused" it.
Honestly, I think it is because he just isn't that smart. Over time, that shows itself.

OK. Time for the AZ lady to chirp in...

Lots of right on comments above.

First of all you just DO NOT drink and drive in this state. Yes it is a very tough state on this issue. I knew it before I even moved here. My son went to college here, and I have to say it is the only place where he took this incredibly seriously. They all know tent city and Sheriff Joe, and the pink underwear. Jail is tent city, not a fun place to be in the summer when it is 115 degrees. Some people I know were able to go to work during the day and report to tent city each night. I don't think that will be Donovan. These were people who had to work.

We do have UBER!!! And it is dirt cheap here. Probably would have been a $5 ride to his house. Drivers are everywhere not just in the touristy areas. PA Orange, I bet you can get an Uber driver even in North Scottsdale. They are everywhere.

He was close to home... call Roxie to pick you up...

yes, you made enough money to hire your own full time driver

ps he did not just hit a car in the rear, it was the wife of a police officer. That will not help his case.

His kids go to a private Christian school, his wife coaches the women's basketball team at said christian school, and his oldest kid is old enough to know that daddy is not setting a good example. In other words...think of your family when you pull these stunts.

Does he have a problem..most likely...and it probably goes way beyond drinking. I am sure it is hard to live life after the football field, especially for a QB who leads a team. Over the years you spend a lot of time away from home, and he does do that during part of the broadcast season, but he is home much more now. He is going through a lot of "life" adjustments, and I just want to say that I DO understand that...so get professional help with this because you are a Syracuse legend. Just act like it, please.

good post

I would not boot McNabb from the Board of Trustees. I do not want to burn that bridge. McNabb might be an ass, but he is incredibly valuable to Syracuse Athletics. At this point he has not thrown women off of balconies like certain other Syracuse legends, so I am not ready to disown him. There is also a good chance he is not the only person on the Board of Trustees with a DWI arrest.

I would not boot McNabb from the Board of Trustees. I do not want to burn that bridge. McNabb might be an ass, but he is incredibly valuable to Syracuse Athletics. At this point he has not thrown women off of balconies like certain other Syracuse legends, so I am not ready to disown him. There is also a good chance he is not the only person on the Board of Trustees with a DWI arrest.
Donnie, I will never be thrown off a balcony by Jim brown. But I could be killed by some dumbass drunk driver. Drunk driving is a serious crime and he has committed twice.

Donnie, I will never be thrown off a balcony by Jim brown. But I could be killed by some dumbass drunk driver. Drunk driving is a serious crime and he has committed twice.
I agree the potential results of both crimes are terrible, but I think one comes from carelessness the other comes from a much darker place.

I agree the potential results of both crimes are terrible, but I think one comes from carelessness the other comes from a much darker place.
If you or a family member are hurt or killed, does it matter? I don't want Jim brown on the B.O.T. either.

If you or a family member are hurt or killed, does it matter? I don't want Jim brown on the B.O.T. either.
To them, no, but when judging someone's character objectively, it definitely does.

You aren't burning bridges or disowning him, you are sending a message that is bigger than sports or anything else. I am not an Su Grad, but if I was I wouldn't want a board member with 2 Dui's to his name.

You aren't burning bridges or disowning him, you are sending a message that is bigger than sports or anything else. I am not an Su Grad, but if I was I wouldn't want a board member with 2 Dui's to his name.
I don't see him writing checks to the University that booted him from their Board of Trustees.

I don't see him writing checks to the University that booted him from their Board of Trustees.

Maybe he would, maybe he wouldn't, that wouldn't be my primary concern. You are running an institute of higher learning.

Sometimes you have to do what's right, even if it hurts you. And if he doesn't write a check because he is being held responsible by the University, shame on him. Either way, at some point, you as a university have to take a stand. How about if he gets another one next week? One, i can let go while holding my nose. Two, no chance.

I think a suspension, if there is such a thing, is in order. I think we invoke a 3 strikes rule here. First time was dumb. Second time shows maybe there is more to this and it is time to face up to the facts. In other words, there should be no third time. He is still one of ours, and I think there are issues at play here. Make a statement that he is suspended pending getting the appropriate help he needs, and then a period of time that he stays out of trouble. This embarrasses him and lets him know that this is not ok for an SU trustee, but also we do not throw our own under the bus so quickly. We will stand behind him while he gets help. One last chance. Period. I am not condoning any DUIs, just sometimes there is more to it than meets the eye.

What did he just say??

McNabb had addressed the charge on Tuesday, saying on his radio show, "There was a story that was released, and I want everybody to be cognizant of it, because I am very aware of it, handling the matter at this particular point. But at this point, I have no further information, and as we continue on with the situation, then we'll let it handle as it will handle itself."

Honestly, I think it is because he just isn't that smart. Over time, that shows itself.

I think he is a smart man, its not always about intelligence, I have a friend who went to Princeton, got a dui, sometimes people just make bad decisions.