MCW and Dion > Scoop and Triche | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

MCW and Dion > Scoop and Triche

What's a PG suppose to do? Distribute the ball and play good defense.

There are many flaws in your original post -- perhaps none more glaring than making a rash decision after one game and two exhibitions -- but I tend to view ball-handling as slightly important for a point guard. Care to compare the ball-handling of the two?

First of all, MCW is not going to start this year and he is not one the 3 best guards this year. Secondly, Dion may be our best guard and he shouls start. I agree that he makes a good pairing with Christmas, but then start them both. CJ brings a lot of versatility and energy off the bench. Thirdly, I think Brandon could bring just as much off the bench as Dion does. Probably won't happen though.

MCW ? Really? We are basing our opinions on him on what? one game? there is no point to doing that. time will tell how much he contributes but I will tell you that sitting him on the pine for long periods of time during conference play will not help him develop and he will be nearly useless should he be pressed into action (recall Dash in the NCAA's couple years ago).

as far as scoop and triche go, we know what we have in them and I dont see why they will all of a sudden, after all these years, bring something new to the table. MCW may not be ready this year..this is very true..but if he doesnt even get in the rotation, the team is worse off for it

I'm probably just expecting more out of him. It's his third year starting. He's the only remaining starter from our #1 ranked team of two years ago. He has more starts under his belt than anyone else on the team.

He hasn't stepped up the way I've expected him to so far.

This^^^
BT is/was/will be, the X-Factor for this team. A superior Brandon Triche makes us a serious contender.
A lethargic, sominex, insecure, hesitant Brandon Triche, the one we've seen more often then not unfortunately, keeps us at the very good but not great level.
I keep hoping to see a "senior-year-Andy-Rautins-like" performance by Triche, but it just ain't happening so far.

One game a season does not make.

I, for one, am pleased we have four guards with the ability ours have. JB can interchange them and find the hot hand on any given night.

This team should be aiming big right now.

We have the potential to make a quick substitution and go after a team that comes out playing zone. We have the potential to Expect early leads as Gameplan A. And None of this taking 8 minutes to adjust to the zone garbage. there is no reason for that this year.

I think we should start Scoop, Dion, Joseph, Fab, and Xmas.
Let that team come in and get a nice cushion. Let the cousins play together.
Let them play some transition offense. Let them be a early lead as gameplay A.

Then once they get a nice lead put in Triche at PG and MCW at SG. Slow down the offense into a slower half court set more away from the halfcourt offense with MCW playing a Point offguard role kinda like Lamb last year. let Brandon channel that energy into a Pg role calling seting up plays. Let our guards sub in to totally take the air and momentum out of opponents hope to catch up.

Also MCW can swing the ball left or right especially out of a double instead of trying to throw a lob pass over the man on his left side to Joseph or Dion on his left. Triche is much better at anticipating and staying out of doubles.

Triche will slow down and be a wall for any PG that gets physical with him. MCW not so much on the defensive end, as he lets guys get by him alittle easier then Triche But, he will defenetly frustrate some SG's (especially ones with not so good a handle) with his length, scrappyness and athleticism.

Oddly enough Scoop might be better as a slow down run the halfcourt offense kinda guy and it might be better he gets more minutes in the situations while we are up.

I think we have the talent and depth this year to setup our best transition offense to get a nice double digit lead. Then our best slow down halfcourt offense with some tough defense once we have a nice cushion. We just have to figure out what that is. Time to Aim Big and throw out alot of things we already knew. Getting a lead and then padding it away from the opposition fighting back into games is something I expect right now.

This^^^
BT is/was/will be, the X-Factor for this team. A superior Brandon Triche makes us a serious contender.
A lethargic, sominex, insecure, hesitant Brandon Triche, the one we've seen more often then not unfortunately, keeps us at the very good but not great level.
I keep hoping to see a "senior-year-Andy-Rautins-like" performance by Triche, but it just ain't happening so far.

A superior anybody on the team will make us a contender. What has Triche shown to make you think he's "that guy"? He's been wildly inconsistent and doesn't excel at any one thing. He lacks the ability to beat defenders off the bounce and at best he's an average shooter. Why is he the key to anything? Fact is he's a pretty solid basketball player but he's never shown the ability that some of you claim he has. Triche seems like a fragile kid, if keeping him as a starter helps to keep his confidence up--fine, but those clamoring for him to become our savior this year are going to be disappointed.

Carter-Williams and Waiters need to start. They have done so much better than Scoop and Triche.

What's a SG suppose to do? Be a scorer. Dion is a much better scorer than Triche.

What's a PG suppose to do? Distribute the ball and play good defense. MCW plays better defense than Scoop. Passing is a wash. As Scoop simply sucks at it, and MCW is still learning.

Good god, man. It was one game against a team that lost 17 games in a row last year. Saying that 165 lb MCW (who I think has tremendous potential) should start over a 5th year senior with endless big game experience is mind-boggling to me.

And even if you are basing your conclusion on yesterday's game - Scoop and MCW played the same exact number of minutes, Scoop had more points, more rebounds, more assists, and fewer turnovers.

This^^^

Oh boy. Let me sober you up a little bit - if we were going to lose one player of all the guys that played 10+ mins yesterday, BT is the one to lose. Losing him will have the least impact on our ability to be successful this yr. he is a good, not great defender. and he does little else. Not being cruel. but thats the fact.

You read this thread and everyone keeps saying once he becomes the real BT he'll be fine...guys, its been 2+ yrs. This is the real BT. There is no other BT just like there is no Zeus. It is a myth.

He. Does. Not. Have. It. he is good role player, very nice kid, wont cause problems, is local. we are lucky to have him. but there is no upside there.

I hate dumping on our players, especially one who, by all accounts is a nice kid, good teammate and very hard worker, like Brandon. But it's been incredibly frustrating to see how little he's progressed since freshman year. Over the summer I watched a bunch of last year's games I had on tape (sad, I know) and I can't tell you how many times I thought to myself "Oh yeah, I forgot Brandon's on the team." This year he seems to be making a concerted effort not to be invisible, but it's gotten to the point where I'm shocked if he doesn't turn it over or miss a shot when he touches it, and it's not just the small sample size from this year. In particular, his habit of driving and getting into the air with absolutely no idea what he wants to do, resulting in either a TO or charge, is baffling.

I thought the most positive thing I saw from him yesterday was when Scoop found him wide open under the basket he just laid it up instead of trying and missing a monster dunk, as he's done frequently. I'd be happy if Dion got the bulk of the minutes at the 2 with Brandon coming off the bench.

dude MCW could barely handle the pressure of fordham guards when handling the rock... imagine the big east.

Is he supposed to be a PG or SG? Between the exhibition and Fordham, he's had his pocket picked 2x, and looks very shaky handling the ball with 1 guy, let alone facing a double team. I dunno if it's his height, or that he dribbles way too high, but either BT or DW need to handle the ball.

Dion is clearly out playing BT on the offensive side of the ball right now, defense maybe not so much. BT seems to be in a funk right now shooting the ball I’m sure some of those shots will start to fall soon.

Dion looks like the first off the bench, an instant offensive spark. Who gets more minutes in any given game might come down to who has the hot hand, but BT will start. JB is going to keep giving him chances to get it going.

As far as MCW yeah he has great talent but is showing his inexperience and making lots of rookie mistakes. He is the future but this year he doesn’t sniff starters minutes.

A superior anybody on the team will make us a contender. What has Triche shown to make you think he's "that guy"? He's been wildly inconsistent and doesn't excel at any one thing. He lacks the ability to beat defenders off the bounce and at best he's an average shooter. Why is he the key to anything? Fact is he's a pretty solid basketball player but he's never shown the ability that some of you claim he has. Triche seems like a fragile kid, if keeping him as a starter helps to keep his confidence up--fine, but those clamoring for him to become our savior this year are going to be disappointed.

Here, I'm deferring to what JB thinks of him. He's started EVERY game at SU, & surely JB has an idea the kind of player Triche can be. I saw Andy being dumped on, same as Triche, yet by his last year he was our catalyst. I'm just saying maybe Brandon becomes "that guy", & I'm using JB's evaluation as the measuring stick.

Oh boy. Let me sober you up a little bit - if we were going to lose one player of all the guys that played 10+ mins yesterday, BT is the one to lose. Losing him will have the least impact on our ability to be successful this yr. he is a good, not great defender. and he does little else. Not being cruel. but thats the fact.

You read this thread and everyone keeps saying once he becomes the real BT he'll be fine...guys, its been 2+ yrs. This is the real BT. There is no other BT just like there is no Zeus. It is a myth.

He. Does. Not. Have. It. he is good role player, very nice kid, wont cause problems, is local. we are lucky to have him. but there is no upside there.

Again, I'm deferring to JB here. Trust me, Trist, I'm leaning towards He. Does. Not. Have. It., at this point. But there must be a reason our HOF HC keeps him in that starter's role. We have him for another 2 years, & if/when he ever takes the next step, as I'm sure JB thinks he can, thats when we go to another level.
Thats what I'm hoping for anyway! :noidea:

Triche is a junior and he still can't shoot... but he is one of our designated shooters who will get 9-12 jump shots everygame. He has absolutely no game going to the tin, and is not an exceptional passer either. He just doesn't make plays. I'd rather have almost anyone else shooting jumpers from the outside. Triche and his ever evolving lean-in shot make it hard to believe he will ever be even a "decent" shooter. No consistency.

I think it makes no sense to have a freshman and a sophmore starting over a capable junior ans senior. Worst post.

I think it makes no sense to have a freshman and a sophmore starting over a capable junior ans senior. Worst post.

For MCW this is true, I would start him before Big East play though. Doing something like that might motivate Scoop into less bonehead plays.

Dion should be starting over Triche, he is a much better player. It shouldn't matter that Tirche has been here longer, when Waiters is considerably better.

I agree with that fact, but I think you have to look at the situations also.
Triche and Scoop have 2 years of PG under their belt. I like the idea of Triche moving to point and MCW moving to SG. Who starts or plays with who in the backcourt is more about what is best for the team not who gets minutes.

JB needs to find his best lineup for situations and game control.
Best transition unit, best unit to build leads, best unit to slow down the tempo in the halfcourt and get a nice shot(ball stall when we are up), best unit to hit the offensive boards, best unit to press, how to put defense into those units.

We are number 5 in the country could care less about splitting minutes. Efficiency is most important right now. The younger guys will get their moments, and if they are a better option then the upperclassmen then thats just the way it is.
The season has started its time to leave individual expectations at the enterance ramp.
Anyone else agree with that??

Way too early to be making any type of assessment like this, we've seen two exhibition games and one real game against a team that was on par with the exhibition opponents.

With three games in four days, it's good to see JB using the bench a lot. Still too early to tell who's going to achieve regular status, but there are 10 guys who all make good cases to play. And as far as the guards go, while I'm not ready to say who the better options are, I'd love to see the four of them (apologies to Mookie) continue playing equal or similar minutes, at least until/unless we see some kind of pecking order established. All 4 guards need to play IMO, each one is unique from the other and brings something positive to the table (and also some negative); they may simply end up all being in the same ballpark this year in terms of value.

... but it's gotten to the point where I'm shocked if he doesn't turn it over or miss a shot when he touches it, and it's not just the small sample size from this year. In particular, his habit of driving and getting into the air with absolutely no idea what he wants to do, resulting in either a TO or charge, is baffling...

I hate it when somebody reads my mind. Kind of like when I say to myself "Bailey up the middle" and lo and behold it happens.

Williams has to improve his speed and as far as I can see it he struggles a lot when there is a decent player using his quickness against him. I do not feel he could break a good press right now, will he be? Yes, in time but the speed of the game is a little fast for him right now. Scoop and Triche are 1 1/2 guards and Williams seems to be the only true point guard on this team and as the season progresses I wouldn't be surprised to see Williams out there with Scoop or Triche or Waiters depending on how well he develops and which one of those 3 is playing well. .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom