MCW expectations | Syracusefan.com

MCW expectations

cuseguy

Living Legend
My bar for him was set pretty high. We heard before the season (I know I did) that he was likely gone after one year. So I'm expecting Pearl or Douglass. Instead I get the junior year version of Scoop. Nice player but not an NBA first round pick. I've long realized that a lot of it is based on his potential, measurables, yada, yada. If I knew MCW was coming back, I could almost live with his uneven play. But knowing what probably lies in his future, the bar for him is still high.

He's just not strong enough at this point in time...all it takes is a little bump and some physical play and it takes his dribble away which leads to turnovers.

in his last 3 games he has 18 assists to 16 turnovers against physical players

Completely agree with both of the above posts. I was reading just the other day somewhere what an NBA scout said about MCW, basically that though he has high potential, right now his handle is mediocre at best and that he has a boys body & isn't very mature...

Yesterday, he struggled against a Villanova team where he was matched up against a freshman guard that will never see the NBA...and had all kinds of difficulty...imo, he should've been able to dominate his man and cause just a matchup nightmare for 'Nova, that was hardly the case.

Agree with the thrust of the original post, but the level of play in these losses is way below what Scoop ever produced. Folks have their immutable opinions about Scoop, but he was judicious with his attempts when his shot wasn't falling.

The number of empty possessions produced by Mike's shot selection is staggering; his shooting numbers are historically bad for Syracuse point guards in the Boeheim era.

But, yes: for a guy who's considered a likely one-and-done, he needs to play that much better. That he has such a high ceiling makes me much more critical of his mistakes - he's better than this.

I kind of laugh when I think about the posts a few months ago comparing the guy to Magic Johnson.

I was really surprised to look at t he box score and see he took 17 shots. He's 7-34 in our two losses this season. I know it's easy to just point to one thing, and it's always a ton of things, but really, 7-34? And throw in 15-29 from the foul line. He's got an effective FG% of 41% for the season. Might be time to put the ball in Brandon's hands a little more.

My bar for him was set pretty high. We heard before the season (I know I did) that he was likely gone after one year. So I'm expecting Pearl or Douglass. Instead I get the junior year version of Scoop. Nice player but not an NBA first round pick. I've long realized that a lot of it is based on his potential, measurables, yada, yada. If I knew MCW was coming back, I could almost live with his uneven play. But knowing what probably lies in his future, the bar for him is still high.
Assuming he leaves after this year, he will be missed less than most people think. A lot less.

Assuming he leaves after this year, he will be missed less than most people't a think. A lot less.

See I don't think he's been playing that well lately, but I still don't agree with this. We're going to be starting a freshmen PG in his place next year; I'm sure there will be a lot of times next year we wish we had a third year MCW running the show as opposed to a freshmen. He's still one of the best assist and steal guys in the country.

Agree with the thrust of the original post, but the level of play in these losses is way below what Scoop ever produced. Folks have their immutable opinions about Scoop, but he was judicious with his attempts when his shot wasn't falling.

Maybe his last year that was true. Maybe.

Maybe his last year that was true. Maybe.

MCW already has a 4-17, a 3-12, a 1-13, and a 3-17 this year. I don't think you're going to find Scoop with many lines like that. Scoop did have a 4-17 as a junior.

One other thing I was thinking about; JB was gettign some heat here when MCW was ripping up cupcakes for not giving him mroe minutes last year; maybe he had an idea of what he was doing?

MCW already has a 4-17, a 3-12, a 1-13, and a 3-17 this year. I don't think you're going to find Scoop with many lines like that. Scoop did have a 4-17 as a junior.

One other thing I was thinking about; JB was gettign some heat here when MCW was ripping up cupcakes for not giving him mroe minutes last year; maybe he had an idea of what he was doing?

He had a 7-22 in that awful semifinal loss to UConn in 2011. Beyond that, you'll see very few of those Carter-Williams lines from Scoop. And Scoop was a much better shooter, which I imagine would excuse him from attempting to shoulder more of the scoring load.

He had a 7-22 in that awful semifinal loss to UConn in 2011. Beyond that, you'll see very few of those Carter-Williams lines from Scoop. And Scoop was a much better shooter, which I imagine would excuse him from attempting to shoulder more of the scoring load.

Yup that was one I saw in the game logs, but the sad thing is; that's not even all THAT bad when you compare them to some of MCW's stinkers. MCW would've needed to finish pretty strong yesterday to finish 7-22.

Yup that was one I saw in the game logs, but the sad thing is; that's not even all THAT bad when you compare them to some of MCW's stinkers. MCW would've needed to finish pretty strong yesterday to finish 7-22.

Yeah. And I hope we never need 22 attempts from him.

I expect our all American point guard to make plays down the stretch and maintain his composure. I expect our all American point guard to be careful with the ball down the stretch. I expect our all American point guard to make our other players better and recognize when he needs to give the ball up. I don't expect our point guard to heave up 17 shots because that means he isn't doing point three.

I don't think those expectations are very high. He's been touted as a lottery NBA player. He has the ball in his hands more than anyone else on the team. He didn't do what was expected of him yesterday. Anyone who says they weren't frustrated with the third mistake in the last few minutes of yesterday's game is lying.

I'm intrigued how he responds next game. Pitt is known for physicality, and hopefully mcw can stay focused. He has the ability, he needs to execute.

1. Mike is the only isolation player on this team.
2.If Mike had some decent post up guys and a true spot up gunner from outside maybe he would be doing more then leading the country in assists right now.
3. It took Scoop to his 5th year to blow by his guy any game. He was alot of high post entry and perimeter passes to then. It has taken Mike 2 years.
4. Mike needs to work on his outside shot but his floater in the lane is pretty soft to roll in right now. Best when he goes right down the middle to get it. Arciano made him go around the middle alittle to much for a guy 3 inches smaller.

Can we stop lumping in Scoop with MCW.

Agreed. The standard for MCW should not be Scoop. The standard for MCW is being a PG who can contend for and hopefully win a National Championship. We are at that level now and should expect nothing less. The days of settling for a 20-win season and an NCAA bid are over.

1. Mike is the only isolation player on this team.
2.If Mike had some decent post up guys and a true spot up gunner from outside maybe he would be doing more then leading the country in assists right now.
3. It took Scoop to his 5th year to blow by his guy any game. He was alot of high post entry and perimeter passes to then. It has taken Mike 2 years.
4. Mike needs to work on his outside shot but his floater in the lane is pretty soft to roll in right now. Best when he goes right down the middle to get it. Arciano made him go around the middle alittle to much for a guy 3 inches smaller.

1. BT is a decidedly better isolation option right now. CJ may even be better than MCW. At least CJ makes free throws in the clutch.
2. Your point about the post-up guys is a fair one. That would open a lot more options.
3. Mike cannot yet "blow by his guy any game". Not against serious competition. He ends up like Peyton Siva - maybe with an edge on his man, but then he leaves the floor and gets trapped in the air, a turnover waiting to happen.
4. He certainly needs work on his shot - it is much too flat, as are his FTs. More arc, more backspin, better follow-through to keep it online. Absent that, he will continue to struggle.

i can't believe i actually just read this thread haha. now he is less then SCOOP? Good lord, what a joke

nobody ever gives him credit as being one of the best defensive guards we ever had. why do you think our zone is so good this year?

Just for debate how i view it.

1.BT isn't a isolation player hes a off the ball get a step on his man disguised isolation player. Similar to CJ last year getting open in the high post appearing as isolation. grant is doing the same of this year that CJ was last. Although I think Grant can operate at alittle slower pace in the high post then fair because of his size and wingspan, which will lead to isolation. Not sure that will translate well to the NBA for brandon.

2. dissagree completely Mike can blow by his guy any game. Its not even debatable, hes been doing it all season. Hes easily doing it better then 5th year scoop. Having the strength to get where he wants to after getting by them however is another thing. Yarou followed Dajuan on the screens down the stretch costing mike another 2 seconds. It would have been nice to have pulled brandons man as the third defender on those plays down the stretch so mike could have found brandon open. Probably would have won if we did.

My original post wasn't meant to be a comparison between Scoop and MCW. It was meant to point out that MCW has expectations brought on by his potential draft status and his inability to live up to that high standard.

Just for debate how i view it.

1.BT isn't a isolation player hes a off the ball get a step on his man disguised isolation player. Similar to CJ last year getting open in the high post appearing as isolation. grant is doing the same of this year that CJ was last. Although I think Grant can operate at alittle slower pace in the high post then fair because of his size and wingspan, which will lead to isolation. Not sure that will translate well to the NBA for brandon.

2. dissagree completely Mike can blow by his guy any game. Its not even debatable, hes been doing it all season. Hes easily doing it better then 5th year scoop. Having the strength to get where he wants to after getting by them however is another thing. Yarou followed Dajuan on the screens down the stretch costing mike another 2 seconds. It would have been nice to have pulled brandons man as the third defender on those plays down the stretch so mike could have found brandon open. Probably would have won if we did.

i can't believe i actually just read this thread haha. now he is less then SCOOP? Good lord, what a joke

nobody ever gives him credit as being one of the best defensive guards we ever had. why do you think our zone is so good this year?
I'm not sure our zone is any better this year than in recent years - not yet. There may be some hype here. We should have lost the Cinci game, easily the Luvl game, and if Southerland hadn't had the game of his life, maybe the Arkansas game as well. 18-2 could easily be 15-5, and not many people would be talking about our zone much. I've seen MCW closing late on a 3-pt shooter too many times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom