MCW expectations | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

MCW expectations

I'm not sure our zone is any better this year than in recent years - not yet. There may be some hype here. We should have lost the Cinci game, easily the Luvl game, and if Southerland hadn't had the game of his life, maybe the Arkansas game as well. 18-2 could easily be 15-5, and not many people would be talking about our zone much. I've seen MCW closing late on a 3-pt shooter too many times.

just look at our defensive numbers. plus this is probably our most offensively challenged teams in a long while. our defense has kept us in, and won us almost every single game.

i can't believe i actually just read this thread haha. now he is less then SCOOP? Good lord, what a joke

nobody ever gives him credit as being one of the best defensive guards we ever had. why do you think our zone is so good this year?

Because he isn't.

You can say that in as many threads as you like, but that doesn't make it so.

I find myself cringing more at MCW down the stretch than I ever did with Scoop.

In fact, MCW is quickly becoming (IMO) one of the most frustrating players to watch because you just never know who is going to show up.

I find myself cringing more at MCW down the stretch than I ever did with Scoop.

In fact, MCW is quickly becoming (IMO) one of the most frustrating players to watch because you just never know who is going to show up.
At least Scoop had the excuse that he became the only player on the who could run an isolation - KJ seemed to be gunshy after his concussion (understandable), and BT at that time was hesitant to assert himself. IMHO, BT is now a better iso player than MCW, and arguably CJ and even Grant are better options than MCW. If MCW learned to shoot a jumper, we may have a different story. But right now the mechanics on his jumper are not good at all.

At least Scoop had the excuse that he became the only player on the who could run an isolation - KJ seemed to be gunshy after his concussion (understandable), and BT at that time was hesitant to assert himself. IMHO, BT is now a better iso player than MCW, and arguably CJ and even Grant are better options than MCW. If MCW learned to shoot a jumper, we may have a different story. But right now the mechanics on his jumper are not good at all.

BT is LEAGUES ahead of MCW with regards to handle. It's not even close. And I don't consider that to be BT's forte.

It comes down to strength. BT can absorb contact. MCW has paul harris syndrome (flails his arms everytime he gets bumped). That's going to happen when your 6'6" 185.

It is imperative that when we try to take the air out of the ball, ie play stall ball which will continue to happen, the correct person gets the shot at the end of the possession. It should have been BT against 'nova, and we all know it.

It wasn't just mikes fault down the stretch. Yarou slowed him up because he couldn't get around Dajuans screen and in between to split dajuan and yarou. The charge setters and secondary shot blockers were able to read his drive a mile away. Maybe it was mikes fault not getting the ball to Triche, but thats a awfully tough situation to put him in. Maybe Fair or triche should have flashed to the midpost or maybe JB told them not to playing the percentages thinking mike would score on a layup down the stretch to win it.
Anyway, it took the halfcourt transition basketball for mikes 6'51/2 dribbling skill frame out of those plays when Mike had to go around Yarou. Also Yarou had his elbow out even further to slow down Mike when he turned the corner around him and help nova antipate his full speed ahead drive.

And against temple the team had no scoring outside of the high post litterally.Can't expect a pg to win a game in that situation, when the other team is full of multidimentional scoring from all over the floor and finishing at the foul line, and you are running everything midpost and staying close off the press alone.

Just saying that in Mikes defense. Those are no conditions to say hes not finishing down the stretch.

It is imperative that when we try to take the air out of the ball, ie play stall ball which will continue to happen, the correct person gets the shot at the end of the possession. It should have been BT against 'nova, and we all know it.

you make sure to let JB know that for next time

nobody ever gives him credit as being one of the best defensive guards we ever had. why do you think our zone is so good this year?

Really?

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

you make sure to let JB know that for next time

Great response. Almost as good as the "how many games have you won". BT should have touched the ball. Fact. Have a nice day.

It wasn't just mikes fault down the stretch. Yarou slowed him up because he couldn't get around Dajuans screen and in between to split dajuan and yarou. The charge setters and secondary shot blockers were able to read his drive a mile away. Maybe it was mikes fault not getting the ball to Triche, but thats a awfully tough situation to put him in. It took the halfcourt transition basketball for mikes 6'51/2 dribbling skill frame out of those plays.

And against temple the team had no scoring outside of the high post litterally.Can't expect a pg to win a game in that situation, when the other team is full of multidimentional scoring from all over the floor and finishing at the foul line, and you are running everything midpost and staying close off the press alone.

Just saying that in Mikes defense. Those are no conditions to say hes not finishing down the stretch.

Maybe it was mikes fault not getting the ball to Triche, but thats a awfully tough situation to put him in - It's not tough, it's called "passing", a good thing to do when you are unable to shoot, or even reliably make a FT.

Can't expect a pg to win a game in that situation - But that is exactly what a PG at an elite school is expected to do. If he can't make the right decisions with the ball, give the ball to someone who can, or else get him out of the game.

Just for debate how i view it.

1.BT isn't a isolation player hes a off the ball get a step on his man disguised isolation player. Similar to CJ last year getting open in the high post appearing as isolation. grant is doing the same of this year that CJ was last. Although I think Grant can operate at alittle slower pace in the high post then fair because of his size and wingspan, which will lead to isolation. Not sure that will translate well to the NBA for brandon.

2. dissagree completely Mike can blow by his guy any game. Its not even debatable, hes been doing it all season. Hes easily doing it better then 5th year scoop. Having the strength to get where he wants to after getting by them however is another thing. Yarou followed Dajuan on the screens down the stretch costing mike another 2 seconds. It would have been nice to have pulled brandons man as the third defender on those plays down the stretch so mike could have found brandon open. Probably would have won if we did.
CJ and Grant are as good in isolation, especially since their shot doesn't come from 4 ft behind their ear and they make fts.

Maybe JB told cj and Triche not to flash into the lane on those plays as well. We don't know.

still disagree. Secondary Defenders taller then your pg can sniff that a mile away with shot blockers and charge takers. Thats the point of a dribble penetrator taking your man one on one, they don't draw the secondary defender till they hit near the foul line already at full speed. The secondary defenders were drawn the minute he hit the three point line, and at a slow speed around Yarou.

It wasn't a easy scoring situation for mike in any way. His dunk against Deng was a better situation and Deng was a better defender then what Nova had left without Yarou in the middle on those plays.

Great response. Almost as good as the "how many games have you won". BT should have touched the ball. Fact. Have a nice day.
hey i thought triche should have had the ball too. jim had no problem giving it to Dion, Devo, and even Todd Burgan when he did the iso. he even ran it with triche against louisville. what's he supposed to say sorry coach i don't want the ball let brandon make the decision? i guess if were throwing blame around i put it on Jim then

My bar for him was set pretty high. We heard before the season (I know I did) that he was likely gone after one year. So I'm expecting Pearl or Douglass. Instead I get the junior year version of Scoop. Nice player but not an NBA first round pick. I've long realized that a lot of it is based on his potential, measurables, yada, yada. If I knew MCW was coming back, I could almost live with his uneven play. But knowing what probably lies in his future, the bar for him is still high.
I was one of those that saw Magic Johnson in him last year. Obviously that vision has been dashed. Not that he will not be a nice-to-great player,but it is just not happening to the script I had written. Imagine that!
Looks like JB did know something. I scratched my head wondering how JB could start Scoop over MCW especially after seeing him everyday in practice. Must be he saw a little bit of "this"

MCW, Broyld, Cooney. Some people get a little too excited about what a young player can produce.

Expectations for all three were higher than what they have produced.

I never thought that MCW was going to be Magic his first and maybe only year as a starter...and if he doesn't learn how to put the ball in the basket he'll be playing in Europe.

Can some of you watch the game again and look out for MCW waving off Brandon and JB bitching him out down the stretch. Quit blaming JB, it wasn't what he wanted, Mike does what he wants to do. He made that pretty clear last year that he doesn't like authority when he freaked out at JB during the UConn game. Triche wanted the ball, Mike wanted to be the hero.

Can some of you watch the game again and look out for MCW waving off Brandon and JB bitching him out down the stretch. Quit blaming JB, it wasn't what he wanted, Mike does what he wants to do. He made that pretty clear last year that he doesn't like authority when he freaked out at JB during the UConn game. Triche wanted the ball, Mike wanted to be the hero.

Don't disagree with any of that, but some blame lies with the coach who could curb such behavior but hasn't done so.

Discipline seems a common concern throughout many of these threads: shoplifting, ineligible players, insubordination on the court...

MCW, Broyld, Cooney. Some people get a little too excited about what a young player can produce.

Expectations for all three were higher than what they have produced.

I never thought that MCW was going to be Magic his first and maybe only year as a starter...and if he doesn't learn how to put the ball in the basket he'll be playing in Europe.

Good lord, the exaggerations here are incredible. MCW is never going to be Magic Johnson. He also isn't going to be stuck playing in Europe. The guy is likely going to be a top 10 pick and probably will be the best we've had in the league since Carmelo.

Scoop and MCW couldn't be more different. Notice Scoop did his best when less was expected in 2010 coming off the bench, and deferring to Dion. Dude was clutch and did take over games but was never an elite player. MCW is a potential all american lottery pick who lets that get to his head and does uber dumb things.

Scoop and MCW couldn't be more different. Notice Scoop did his best when less was expected in 2010 coming off the bench, and deferring to Dion. Dude was clutch and did take over games but was never an elite player. MCW is a potential all american lottery pick who lets that get to his head and does uber dumb things.
He may be a lottery pick (since as we all know NBA drafts on potential) but he's not AA this year, and I think our next great NBA player is Jerami Grant.

He may be a lottery pick (since as we all know NBA drafts on potential) but he's not AA this year, and I think our next great NBA player is Jerami Grant.

If the season ended today, he'd most likely at least be a 2nd team all American and easily 1st team all big east.

If the season ended today, he'd most likely at least be a 2nd team all American and easily 1st team all big east.
MCW is the 3rd or 4th best guard in America? I don't think so.

Amazing how the shine on MCW has dimmed since Southerland left and he can't puff up his numbers with easy assists.

Amazing how the shine on MCW has dimmed since Southerland left and he can't puff up his numbers with easy assists.

Not that easy...Southerland made less than 25% of his 3's the last 6 games before he got suspended.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom